Increase the distance of audible weapons sounds

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Syrez
x4

Increase the distance of audible weapons sounds

Post by Syrez » Tue, 4. Sep 18, 18:55

** TL;DR question **
Does anyone know of a way to increase the range at which weapons sounds can be heard at near or full volume levels? They seem way too quiet in the external view of capital ships.
** End of TL;DR **

** TL;DR No. 2 **
I'm aware that, realistically, sound doesn't travel at all in the vacuum of space. Although I deeply appreciate a decent scientific debate, please try to help me with what I'm looking to achieve :)
** End of TL;DR No. 2 **

Regarding capital ships, does it bother anyone else that the sounds of weapons in external view are so quiet?

I found distant weapon sounds to be a problem in the previous titles, X3: Terran Conlfict and X3: Albion Prelude, just as much as in X: Rebirth.

As someone who's very emotionally, intellectually and financially invested in the X series, out of all the little quirks that these games have had over the years, the falloff range for weapon sounds is pretty much the only one I can't seem to endure.

I've tried Googling about this more than a few times over the last couple of years, and I even posted about it on the X3 script and modding forum quite a while ago.

I'm not new to modding in general, and I can confidently sift my way through XML files, game directories, internal/engine settings without much trouble with understanding what I'm looking at.

I haven't been able to find out for myself how to do what I want to, so if someone has any clue at all where I could look, or even start looking, I'd be ever so grateful!

I've posted a similar thread on the Steam discussions for X: Rebirth as well.
Hopefully, I can grab the attention of someone who just might be able to point me in the right direction.

Syrez
x4

Post by Syrez » Thu, 6. Sep 18, 12:51

** Excerpt (more like all of it) from my post on the Steam forums **

I'll try to explain what I'm thinking of in the form of rudimentary text sketches.

"Ship" = Capital ship viewed in external view.
"Falloff" = the point at which weapons start to become quieter.
"Camera" = Our point of view as the player in external view.

The "Falloff" seems to happen so very close to the "Ship" that I have to be zoomed in too far to properly enjoy the ensuing battle just to hear the weapons fire.

The way it works by default might look a little bit like this:

"Ship" - "Falloff" - - - - - "Camera"

This is what I'd like it to be:

"Ship" - - - - - "Falloff" - - - - - "Camera"

I apologize that I'm not very good at explaining what I'm looking to achieve lol. It's weird, the concept of all this is so simple in my head, but I can't quite seem to find the right way to explain it in words.

I'm not looking to make the weapons louder, I would like to simply push that "Falloff" further away from the ship and/or closer to the "Camera".

** End of excerpt **

Over on the Steam forums, someone's trying to understand exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I'm guessing the way I'm explaining all of this is quite confusing.

The concept of what I'm trying to do is quite simple, at least it seems like it in my head. Finding the right way to explain it, however, is proving to be just as difficult as finding a solution to my problem :D

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”