[Mod Concept] Piracy/Plunder

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Matterom
x4

[Mod Concept] Piracy/Plunder

Post by Matterom » Wed, 10. Oct 18, 04:13

Trying to beat out an idea i got in my head the other day, i figured i'd write it down and look for more ideas to flesh it out:

My current working idea is something on the ideas of making pirates more... "Piratey". Hostile pirate ships often just destroy, they don't really steal anything, Playing a pirate doesn't really fare much better usually.

Thing's i'm planning on doing with this idea:
  • Pirate NPCs fly around and "Challenge" npc and player ships for a Ransom, for npc ships it does a skill check against the captains or pilots (Currently unused)skills with a threat factor defined by the ship size, and loadout.
  • Examples would be if the ship is a more combat orientated freighter it would be more likely to defend itself.
  • Or if the ship has no engines or jump drive (It can't jump) it will fork over the cash as it can't run away or defend itself.
  • Pure Combat ships (EG. Taranis) will never be challenged and instead pirates would normally avoid them if at all possible, or if the Difference in power is in the favor of the pirates and they're feeling froggy, will decide to remove the threat.
  • If pirates challenge a Player ship this branches off into two sections.
  • If it's THE player ship. the player will get a UI Challenge requesting a payout, should the player pay out, the pirates(of the same faction) would be pacified for a period of time.
  • If it's a NPC ship the player has the option to define the default behavior. This can be one of the following "Pay out, flee, Defend, NPC Choice" Where the NPC choice is the default pirate-npc interaction. If the payment isn't possible it will default to one of the other positions.
  • PLAYER PIRACY: The player has the option to assign a captain to "Plunder" an area where the ship will run through the same challenges to designated hostile faction ships, Avoid combat ships, and will generate some passive income within an area.
Thoughts? Concerns? Ideas? Is this healthy? Looking for input. Might hold off until X4 and implement it there, Might backport it, Might finish my other mod that's half done. Still up in the air.
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Vectorial1024
x4

Re: [Mod Concept] Piracy/Plunder

Post by Vectorial1024 » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 16:58

This looks good.

I immediately think of the New Frontiers mod that aims to overhaul X Rebirth completely when I read this. Perhaps the mod authors might be interested in these ideas?
The future awaits.

X4 Foundations mods:
Civilian Fleets: Managing your civilian ships has never been easier.
Station Logistics: Managing your station networks has never been easier.
Scrap Delivery Coordination: No more starving scrap processors.

MegaJohnny
x4

Re: [Mod Concept] Piracy/Plunder

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 03:05

Would love to see this mod come to life. If you wind up making it for XR I would love to integrate it with my UI mods. I could easily add a plunder <zone/sector/cluster> to Tactical Map, and add relevant settings per ship to Improved Object Menu.

I haven't tested it, but I did see actions in the XML schemas to drop cargo (not inventory) from a ship. That might be interesting as an alternative to credit payoff.

It could be implemented quite simply as well, I think. move.plunder gets modified to send the challenge signal rather than attack straight away, and if some event happens they attack (target ship attacks us, target ship starts boost or jumpdrive, timeout, etc). The library handler many ships have (I forget its name) gets modified to listen for the challenge signal and do its dice rolls for what to do. You can easily listen for the playership being challenged and start a conversation (or eventmonitor alert) instead.

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”