How would mod support work if not purchased on Steam?

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 10:18

How would mod/workshop work through Steam if Rebirth VR purchased from Occulus ... ?

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 11:13

My guess would probably be via Nexus as with gog users of regular X Rebirth. But maybe something more funky could be arranged.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 12:04

Thanks Sparky, just ordered Rift, hopefully by the time it arrives something will be sorted regarding Rift and Steam, although if push came to shove and from what I have read will most likely play Rebirth VR with HOTAS so Steam..... dearest game I have ever bought ...Occulus Rift just to play X Rebirth VR.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 13:07

You're welcome.

This may not be a question for yourself but is it possible to activate an Occulus game on Steam? If it was, that could be another solution for people that don't object to using Steam.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 14:57

@birdtable

Congrats on getting your VR headset.

Adding a game to the Steam library to run it from there is possible even if not purchased on steam. Activating a purchased game on Steam bought on the Oculus store is AFAIK not possible. The money is processed elsewhere.

Loading workshop mods however out of the box that way is AFAIK not possible; but there is a workaround.

The steam mods workshop files can be downloaded through use of a website.

This one:

http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

just look up the mod in a browser on steam and copy paste the link there. Then create a folder in the Extensions folder of your X-RebirthVR root and rename it appropriately. Then put the Cat/Dat file combination in that folder.

Since the downloader usually downloads a .dat file and not a cat you will need another little software as well.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=388403

If you're planning on just using a hotas, I would personally purchase the game on steam; it works just fine with both headsets although the store page only shows the VIVE triangle icon as supported headset. You will need to download and install both SteamVR and Oculus software to make it work though.

If you purchase it from the Oculus store beware of their refund policies as they are not as flexible as the steam ones. Steam VR will not be required if purchased from there though.

Good luck.
Last edited by dertien on Thu, 10. Aug 17, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Wed, 2. Aug 17, 15:25

Cheers dertien for the advice, will purchase X VR from steam and keep fingers crossed for full support although will be using HOTAS so not a real problem... will be curious to see what mods work with X VR.. been a long time since I played pure vanilla.. some enjoyable frustrations ahead and a new learning curve.. :)

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”