[4.30 HF2] ISSUE - I'm having trouble navigating menus using a HOTAS.

Feedback and information for X Rebirth VR Edition

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Viperlotus

[4.30 HF2] ISSUE - I'm having trouble navigating menus using a HOTAS.

Post by Viperlotus » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 19:40

Hello, everyone. I've purchased this game on Steam about a week ago now, and have started playing it in the past few days. I've been trying to play through the tutorial on the "Restoration Project" mode. Piloting so far has been comfortable for me and I have had little trouble adjusting flight controls to my preferences.

What I have been having trouble with so far is basic menu navigation. Even though I set bindings for menu navigation, in many of the menus the keys I assigned don't work as I intended them to.

My desire is to play the game using only my HOTAS, so I would prefer not to resort to using my mouse, keyboard, VR wands, or any other controller at all while I play.

I've looked at several threads on this forum and other places across the internet trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. It appears this is a common issue, but I can't figure out if anyone has resolved it or not. If they have, the method by which they fixed it is unknown to me, and I believe I need someone to have a direct dialogue with me in order to better understand the situation.

Here is more information about my hardware setup. I'm playing this game in Steam VR mode, using an HTC Vive. My HOTAS setup is a combination of devices from CH Products, including a CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, and CH Pro Pedals. If anyone requires more information than that in order to help me, please let me know what you need.

As it stands, I am unable to play the game at the moment because of this issue. Please help me if possible.

EDIT: As an example of my issues with the menu for further clarification, I have limited navigation of the zone map and can do a zoom in (but not a zoom out), partial menu tabulation, and can back out and close the map entirely. However, I can't select the sector, comms, or details sections of the zone map window without using a mouse.
Last edited by Viperlotus on Fri, 5. Jan 18, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 20:39

Did you read entirely through the detail of the various posts in this thread not too far below yours? Maybe something there will help.

This post in there seems promising and the post author may be the best person to PM or address by username if you post in that thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Viperlotus

Post by Viperlotus » Wed, 3. Jan 18, 20:57

Alan Phipps wrote:Did you read entirely through the detail of the various posts in this thread not too far below yours? Maybe something there will help.

This post in there seems promising and the post author may be the best person to PM or address by username if you post in that thread.
Yes, I have read through that thread multiple times before I posted this thread. I made this thread because I cannot understand the details of the post just by reading it - I feel I need more personalized guidance in order to understand and address this issue, or else I would not have made this thread.

Thank you for the advice on PMing the user in the specific post you linked though, I had not thought of that previously.

dertien
x2

Post by dertien » Mon, 15. Jan 18, 22:11

Have been away for a while, therefore the late answer.

The menu system with the hotas is borked at the moment - something happened in one of the previous patches (where they added support for the mouse) and one cannot use the hotas as before stated in my posts.

It is now very awkward to navigate any of the menus.

EGO needs to fix this asap, the best advice I can give them is to acquire a hotas ( CH Product) or ( Thrustmatster) and experiment themselves in order to provide us with a decent setup that we can activate in a decent fashion which can then be changed to our liking.

At the moment none of the menus can be decently triggered via the hotas (except for the two circular menus - the yellow one and the blue one which controls drone behavior). Navigating the Legacy menu cannot be achieved, not by using the POV, not by using the thumbstick, EGO broke it - the first iteration of X-Rebirth VR had the best setup for Hotas.

The problem is that there are too many different menus that are triggered by different controls - and although this may work with mouse and keyboard in regular X-R, with a hotas in VR it's a nightmare unlike the menus in Elite Dangerous - which can be navigated with 6 buttons - up down left right, tab and select.

A choice in the legacy menu can no longer be triggerend with the misc x-y axis and I don't know what button to map to select something using the Legacy menu.

Furthermore, the blue menu choices that pop up when targeting a ship or a station, (autopilot, follow, dock, board) which could be navigated using the same X-Y axis as the legacy menu before... That too is gone as well.

Before I used to be able to point the white/red dot at a platform, it would autoselect when I came close. Now one needs to select the plaform - open the orange menu - and select the dock option and activate it - this is all mapped to 3 different controls - too much IMHO.

Before, we were able to bring up the orange menu - select dock and then release the control to activate docking.

It's a mouse-select affair now, and this makes us Hotas people not happy.

KMD
x3

HMD-Cursor for menues

Post by KMD » Tue, 6. Feb 18, 14:13

I noticed that the new version of XRVR offers the possibility to use the right VIVE wand as a mouse pointer also in menues. So all we need is an option to bind this pointer function to the HMD-Cursor instead of mouse or wand.

It would be a simple look at and click for any switch or menu item.
Let's rock the Universe!

Ranix
x4

Post by Ranix » Sat, 24. Mar 18, 00:19

you're out of luck if you want to use the VIVE and a joystick or controller at the same time, every time the joystick moves it erases the VIVE's pointer and it won't come back until you put the controller down

Return to “X Rebirth VR Edition”