Why no Small Mining Laser on Small

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grapedog
x4

Why no Small Mining Laser on Small

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:22

Why can't a small ship, a fighter/scout/courier, equip a mining laser? They have small size mining lasers for the small miners, I think that fighters/scouts/couriers should also be able to equip them regardless of cargo space.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Why no Small Mining Laser on Small

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:56

Can recommend the Paranid Tethys.

Although technically an S miner it doesn't feel like one to fly (fitted a modified combat mk3 engine to mine to give it a cruising speed of 542m/s).
Crucially it has 2 weapon hardpoints so you can fit a real gun alongside the mining laser, which has proved highly useful for opening lockboxes, as well as harvesting crystals.

Another option is the Paranid Theseus which can also use a mining laser.
It even has 3 hardpoints for superior firepower, however it's not nearly as fast, which is why I still prefer my Tethys.

grapedog
x4

Re: Why no Small Mining Laser on Small

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 03:44

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:56
Can recommend the Paranid Tethys.

Although technically an S miner it doesn't feel like one to fly (fitted a modified combat mk3 engine to mine to give it a cruising speed of 542m/s).
Crucially it has 2 weapon hardpoints so you can fit a real gun alongside the mining laser, which has proved highly useful for opening lockboxes, as well as harvesting crystals.

Another option is the Paranid Theseus which can also use a mining laser.
It even has 3 hardpoints for superior firepower, however it's not nearly as fast, which is why I still prefer my Tethys.
I will check that out. Is that locked behind a certain reputation level? That might be what I'm looking for.

I wish they would just allow them to be used on regular S ships though, a few of the three turret fighters would be perfect to have 2 regular guns, and a mining laser.

Return to “X4: Foundations”