why i miss betty

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Karvat
x4

Re: why i miss betty

Post by Karvat » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 14:36

I think it would be better if the copilot took care of these things in the bigger ships

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:06

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:46
cormas wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:43
Here is betty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ajzF27Gvg

turns out her name is Holley Chant and she is "Executive Director at KEO International Consultants "

I do not even know if she does voice acting anymore but her video is 6 months old and has 330 views, give her some love guys, she talks about sustainability in the video and it is good to hear her voice again.
persuade her guys, send encouragement to join her fans once more :)
It`s just a voice actress, not God.

This was the same nonsense that happened over the Clementine voice actress in the Walking Dead series. It gets creepy.

This is why I like Astra, she`s a completely artificial voice which means I don`t have to pedestal any one.
given nowdays we do have various kinds of voiceroids or vocaloids, it would be pretty fitting trying to use them instead of letting real actors voice lines. it would also be easier to implement new lines as they don't require recording of additions at all since once they can read stuff properly they cna read it all.

Himmelweiss
x4

Post by Himmelweiss » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:55

cormas wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:43
Here is betty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ajzF27Gvg

turns out her name is Holley Chant and she is "Executive Director at KEO International Consultants "

I do not even know if she does voice acting anymore but her video is 6 months old and has 330 views, give her some love guys, she talks about sustainability in the video and it is good to hear her voice again.
persuade her guys, send encouragement to join her fans once more :)
Her name is Olivia Powell for both english and german voices.

http://www.oliviapowell.de/

games:
Sam & Max, Team Fortress 2, BioShock 2, Riddles of Fate – The Wild Hunt, Bad Omen, XRebirth, Ravensburger TipToi, Borderlands – The PreSequel, Mafia 3

Well and now X4

JamesTheClarke
x4

Post by JamesTheClarke » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:00

MaGicBush wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 14:20
Am I missing something? They added Betty back in the new beta patch..
Haven't played the latest beta branch yet, been too absorbed with my latest Litcube run. How extensive was Betty implemented? Same as X3 (minus the Encyclopedia I guess) or less?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:02

JamesTheClarke wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:00
Haven't played the latest beta branch yet, been too absorbed with my latest Litcube run. How extensive was Betty implemented? Same as X3 (minus the Encyclopedia I guess) or less?
Not very:

• Added option for "Betty" to speak target names.

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:35

That betties just a fancy thing. Useless. Hope devs dont waste their time on it until all major bugs and lack of life-critical functions and command options added and work without bugs ( for example, Abort mission function not working at all)

cormas
x4

Post by cormas » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:39

letwolf wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:35
That betties just a fancy thing. Useless. Hope devs dont waste their time on it until all major bugs and lack of life-critical functions and command options added and work without bugs ( for example, Abort mission function not working at all)
devs don't actually spend any time on it. they hire a studio, and actress, print out what they need her to cover and then go about their merry business squashing bugs.
I don't need betty to be available for 1.5, 2.0 as such but I would like her to be there eventually.
got a feeling that x4 will have good replayability years from now just like its predecessors.

letwolf

Post by letwolf » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:43

yes this way it would be okay

rabtherab
x4

Post by rabtherab » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:29

This romanticism over women saddens me considering the STI/D pandemic.

furirkeeper
x4

Post by furirkeeper » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:53

rabtherab wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:29
This romanticism over women saddens me considering the STI/D pandemic.
I honestly don't understand what you mean? This is not a sexual thing, well, at least not for me. For me it adds color and flavor to the universe.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 19:25

cormas wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 14:29
yeah you are missing the encyclopedia.. it is not voiced, it was in x3.
In X3 there was something to read...in the Encyclopedia.

X4 encyclopedia can be read by Stevie Wonder.

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 20:41

furirkeeper wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:45
But every race speaking english is not very realistic either. And why do you presume that Betty is human? She is in fact a computer AI.
So to reiterate, the AI logic should not be depending on language since it is doubtful that the AI internally use english at all, but you could have english as an adaptation layer on top of the AI. Or any other language that you prefer.

Either way, I want Betty back as well.
Technically, no, they don't speak English. X races have a common "Trade language" which is Neo-Japanese. In the X-Universe, after WWII the post-war economic boom never ends and Japan establishes itself as the global economic and cultural power. Japanese becomes the common language on Earth (English is only taught in schools as a second foreign language). Many centuries later human descendants, the Argon, spread this language around the Commonwealth and it becomes the galactic common "trade language" that races use to communicate with each other. So technically, Betty is speaking Neo-Japanese if anything.

Not splitting hairs, just thought I add a bit of trivia :)

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 20:47

cormas wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:39
letwolf wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:35
devs don't actually spend any time on it. they hire a studio, and actress, print out what they need her to cover and then go about their merry business squashing bugs.
Have you seen the length and time Devs spend on scripting, hardly a hands off approach.
I don't need betty to be available for 1.5, 2.0 as such but I would like her to be there eventually.
got a feeling that x4 will have good replayability years from now just like its predecessors.
Totally agree here, other things to fix before the "need" for voice overs. As far as I'm concerned, they could use the previous games voice overs and I'd be happy with those.

RefocusedLight
x4

Post by RefocusedLight » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 21:24

what i really don't like is this feeling like being on the non-aggressor side of a beginning war.

Plot, going dark
Lore, going dark
Encyclopedia, going dark
Asymmetric factions, going dark
Betty, going dark
And then we get reported sightings of MP elements this side of the border
Can't create imaginary friends, only enemies
/Dresden Codak/

Return to “X4: Foundations”