Is it just me or are the NPC's uglier than ever?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Is it just me or are the NPC's uglier than ever?

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 18:39

I haven't played X4 in a while, before Split came out. Now I am back in and playing 3.3 beta. The game is great, loving it, but there is just one thing. Why are all the NPC's so ugly? Not only that, but first I end up getting way more women employees than men. I mean, the ratio isn't even close. Then, to make matters worse, every one of them is so ugly I feel like they aren't even Homo Sapiens but Neanderthals. The men are mostly hideous too. There are very few I find even remotely appealing to look at. The worst is when I get the same 4 men or women who look exactly the same in my ship and they are all so fugly it is ridiculous, like a family of fugly !

Sorry, had to rant a little. I really hope something is being done about this. I am not expecting every person I see to be a super model, but I am expecting people to be at least average looking mostly and not a universe of inbred neanderthals for humans. The other races are all fine.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Is it just me or are the NPC's uglier than ever?

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 19:32

The Argon and Split received model updates indeed - some for the better, some for the worse. To be honest, I dislike only one aspect of the new models: that they have been replaced on the expense of the older, legacy models. I understand that these are artistically different, but I still feel like this game requires variety. Which means, both legacy and new models should be present ingame.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 19:50

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 19:32
The Argon and Split received model updates indeed - some for the better, some for the worse. To be honest, I dislike only one aspect of the new models: that they have been replaced on the expense of the older, legacy models. I understand that these are artistically different, but I still feel like this game requires variety. Which means, both legacy and new models should be present ingame.
They definitely need more models. There is not nearly enough variety. At least for the Humans. The other races, you can't really tell the difference anyway so it is probably fine, but Humans need many more models.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 21:03

I believe they now use a model generation system that needs more tweaking. The old models were static and the new system is very powerful, but its current parameters produce way too many bad looking models. Perhaps Lino or another dev can update us on this. ☺️
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 22:03

tomchk wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 21:03
I believe they now use a model generation system that needs more tweaking. The old models were static and the new system is very powerful, but its current parameters produce way too many bad looking models. Perhaps Lino or another dev can update us on this. ☺️
Some of them are so bad though that I cringe when I see them. I am almost frightened lol

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 22:51

BlackRain wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 22:03

Some of them are so bad though that I cringe when I see them. I am almost frightened lol
You are not the only one, I have been complaining about them in every instance since the 3.00 Beta where they came on. Better dressed than the "hoodies" of V2.60 but ugly as hell. Actually inbred Neanterthals that have somehow put some Arnold Swartzenegger in the mix!!! (Sorry Arnold, it's not your fault but they DO look like you in your stupidest acting moments). For the females what can I say? Anything I think about them is XXXrated. The worst is if you choose the Accomplished Scientist start you get a Selaia Tarren identical with Reen Omara (from the Hatikvah plot), every time I tried it!!!

Since the Teladi models were fully integrated from X Rebirth, I suspect that there must be some copyright issues in this, but we get no updates from Egosoft no matter what(!!!). There is a mod that brings all the old models and the X Rebirth ones back so it must not be that "heavy" technically to do it... (try having Yisha Terran driving you around the Galaxy for a while!!!)

To "make things worse", the green female Split also disappeared to the detriment of all male players (even some female ones), at least the voice remains in place for the Female Split.

Another good "bad" thing (always aesthetically speaking) is that the Boron's neck was repaired, so his head does not turn 180 when he speaks to you (although I imagine every player would like to choke him to death for all his blubbering).

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 00:26

Hey I find the Boron funny! I also am quite verbose, though.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 02:35

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 00:26
Hey I find the Boron funny! I also am quite verbose, though.
He IS funny... BUT just imagine people not that good in English (or the language they have bought the game) that can not follow the words and have to read the subtitles, while they have Xenon and/or Khaak shooting at them at the same time with the occasional SCA taking potshots...

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 12:13

Very.

I'm sorry egosoft, but whilst humanity is distantly related to the great apes
We stopped looking like them a few million years ago.

It's very immersion breaking.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 19:13

RodentofDoom wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 12:13
I'm sorry egosoft, but whilst humanity is distantly related to the great apes
We stopped looking like them a few million years ago.
But we are great apes! Well, one branch of them, particularly (the weakest, but with the OP ability of ranged attack).

But seriously, the "new" male argon models (especially the "technician" type) have something nasty happened to their spines, they are like "Quasimodo" (more specifically, kyphosis type).

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 19:15

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 19:13
But seriously, the "new" male argon models (especially the "technician" type) have something nasty happened to their spines, they are like "Quasimodo" (more specifically, kyphosis type).
Well I suppose it has to do with their Neanterthal origin... :lol: :lol: :lol:

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 21:51

I really dislike how hair colour is in general for npcs, looks gray in mostly all models, also in my game women make 75% off population...I really miss some badass models of pilots and marines to be captains of my ships. Legacy Antigone Republic faction representative is one of them. Hope Ego can bring them back or improve actual models!!

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 22:05

capitalduty wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 21:51
I really dislike how hair colour is in general for npcs, looks gray in mostly all models, also in my game women make 75% off population...I really miss some badass models of pilots and marines to be captains of my ships. Legacy Antigone Republic faction representative is one of them. Hope Ego can bring them back or improve actual models!!
Yes, exactly. It is ridiculous how 75% of the population are women in my game too. I have no problem with female employees, however please lower the ratio or something. At least make it 50/50. It is extremely annoying hiring a bunch of people and 75% of them are almost the same exact ugly woman. Again, I am not saying I need super models here, but I would like to be able to look at my npc's without cringing. I mean, some of them are so hideous it brings me pain! lol

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 22:44

BlackRain wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 22:05
capitalduty wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 21:51
Yes, exactly. It is ridiculous how 75% of the population are women in my game too. I have no problem with female employees, however please lower the ratio or something. At least make it 50/50. It is extremely annoying hiring a bunch of people and 75% of them are almost the same exact ugly woman. Again, I am not saying I need super models here, but I would like to be able to look at my npc's without cringing. I mean, some of them are so hideous it brings me pain! lol
I won`t apologise for it. There are too many women and what they are are ugly, not even real world decent looking. The ratio should be more like 50/50. And if we look at it in a real world fashion even less when you consider they would be many at home planet birthing kids. Those kids gotta come from somewhere, right? Also human women are still pug ugly. Other games manage to portray relatively decent looking women pretty well... Skyrim, fallout 4, bannerlord. far cry series for example. They aren`t afraid of showing a bit of cleavage either. I still think black women don`t look right, but white women aren`t great either

I don`t get it, most artists, especially in computer games of the past would jump at the chance to make pretty or reasonable looking women in games.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Reliku
x4

Post by Reliku » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 00:20

For the longest time, I thought I was the only one that held this opinion, so glad you made this thread. Thank you!

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 07:03

One of my Fleet carrier is about 95% female pilots for all the fighters, I called the ship "The Harem"

But I agree Blackrain, the models need some work, looks like most fell from "The Ugly Tree, climbed back up and took a second jump!"
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Return to “X4: Foundations”