Boarding Split is impossible.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ezarkal
x4

Re: Boarding Split is impossible.

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 13. May 21, 01:26

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 00:02
Ezarkal wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 23:09
These numbers are actually sliders
:S
Why do they hide GUI in plain sight? :roll:
I know, right? :D
I found it by pure accident. Literally misclicked and hit the arrow and I was all "what the hell did I just... ooohhhhh!" :o
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Thu, 13. May 21, 03:38

If you have seta and a falx or similiar ship that can hold 15 marines or so. You can sit in a blind spot of any destroyer with seta on and let the turrets shoot the target untill the entire crew except the captain bails. Very easy boarding cheese this way.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Thu, 13. May 21, 23:58

al_dude wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 11:06
If you have a defense station, they generate 2 / 3 star marines when you teleport on it.

Easy to get veteran marines that way. I've captured rattlesnakes easily with those.

Typically, boarding resistance of a free families rattlesnake is around 1,100 ~ 1,300. You need around 30 ~ 40 veteran marines to cap it. Or you can grind it down to lower the bar.
I have 4 Defense stations and i docked/teleported to all of them, not a single highranked marine, infact, no marines at all :sceptic: .

There really needs to be a RELIABLE way to get marines trained up. Considering how much resistance some ships put up.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 14. May 21, 00:14

Dreez wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 23:58

I have 4 Defense stations and i docked/teleported to all of them, not a single highranked marine, infact, no marines at all :sceptic: .

There really needs to be a RELIABLE way to get marines trained up. Considering how much resistance some ships put up.
There is a trick. When you enter an area, it will generate NPCs in 10 seconds or so. When they pop up, there are always 3 ~ 6 veteran marines but they move to elevators and leave. You need to catch some of them before they leave.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 14. May 21, 00:19

Dreez wrote:
Thu, 13. May 21, 23:58
al_dude wrote:
Wed, 12. May 21, 11:06
If you have a defense station, they generate 2 / 3 star marines when you teleport on it.

Easy to get veteran marines that way. I've captured rattlesnakes easily with those.

Typically, boarding resistance of a free families rattlesnake is around 1,100 ~ 1,300. You need around 30 ~ 40 veteran marines to cap it. Or you can grind it down to lower the bar.

When you teleport to a defense station, all the NPCs are generated. Including 3-5 marines... the marines as soon as they are generated start walking toward various elevators/doorways... you got to go get em before they find hidden bars you can't get to. The marines should also be the only ones walking around right off the bat If you have a defense station with 2 docks, you can move back and forth between docks and find new marines each time.

TP to the defense station, and immediately look for people walking around. Check their stats... mine are in the 1.5 to 3 star range normally.

And when i say nornally, i can do this 100% of the time without fail on any defense station i own.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 14. May 21, 00:26

It is also the most reliable way to find Teladi with yellow goggles. I love that variant and usually keep them as ship traders and captains of destroyers I value.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 14. May 21, 01:30

I think the most crucial advice is missing in this thread: Marines bought from Split-shipyards/docks are very often Veterans! And they only cost 10k Cr!
Which is also the reason why Split ships always have good marines. Every race has its chances to roll higher specific skills when spawned.

(Besides that, I don't understand the struggle to just train your marines at lower defended ships (not split) and then just transfer them back with a single click. At the end you get a rattlesnake, would be a shame if this game handed it to you for free)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 14. May 21, 01:44

I say about 40% of them start off veterans.

To capture a FAF rattlesnake, you need at least 30 veterans. That's with lucky enough to find one with only half of crew.

Driltan
x4

Post by Driltan » Fri, 14. May 21, 02:05

Never had any trouble boarding any rattlesnake with a rattlesnake (with full marines, only marines, around 90), turn off your turrets, destroy the engines, destroy the turrets hitting you (you should be behind your target), launch the marines with "very high" & "very high" settings, go 10km away (if you are too close, some boarding pods bug and so, some marines never enter), put SETA On and enjoy.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 14. May 21, 02:51

Driltan wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 02:05
Never had any trouble boarding any rattlesnake with a rattlesnake (with full marines, only marines, around 90), turn off your turrets, destroy the engines, destroy the turrets hitting you (you should be behind your target), launch the marines with "very high" & "very high" settings, go 10km away (if you are too close, some boarding pods bug and so, some marines never enter), put SETA On and enjoy.
Some people don't like to cheese the boarding mechanic like that.

Driltan
x4

Post by Driltan » Fri, 14. May 21, 02:58

grapedog wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 02:51
Driltan wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 02:05
Some people don't like to cheese the boarding mechanic like that.
Well, as soon as the boarding pods stay stuck in your own ship or never enter the enemy ship, I tend to think it's bugged rather than it's cheesing. Anyway there are more challenging things to do in this galaxy. Being stuck against 1 pirate ship can be frustrating before you understand what is wrong. You don't need 200+ marines to take a ship with 93 people neither full elite marines, I just share my experience from X3TC to X4 CoH :mrgreen:
Last edited by Driltan on Fri, 14. May 21, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 14. May 21, 02:59

Well, I try to cap with Cobra most of time. It carries 20 marines. Most of them are veteran, a few elites. Can do it with that setup but personally I don't cap FAF rattlesnakes anymore after finding out that they tend to use my shipyard and wharf to repair as long as the rep remains at -5. They pay good money to repair.

So, in my eyes, they are my customers.

Driltan
x4

Post by Driltan » Fri, 14. May 21, 03:04

al_dude wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 02:59
Well, I try to cap with Cobra most of time. It carries 20 marines. Most of them are veteran, a few elites. Can do it with that setup but personally I don't cap FAF rattlesnakes anymore after finding out that they tend to use my shipyard and wharf to repair as long as the rep remains at -5. They pay good money to repair.

So, in my eyes, they are my customers.
They are a real pain, I personnaly block the shipyards where L/M/S are made with powerful fleets (defend position 15km) so they don't destroy my lower destroyers, I have FAF at -30 :D

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 14. May 21, 03:33

al_dude wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 01:44
I say about 40% of them start off veterans.

To capture a FAF rattlesnake, you need at least 30 veterans. That's with lucky enough to find one with only half of crew.
Buy marines, sell the rest, buy. Or use multiple ships, buy marines, only send the veterans of each ship.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Fri, 14. May 21, 07:33

I just dump 92 or whatever the limit is rookie marines on them.
Seems to work just fine.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 14. May 21, 13:47

My very first boarding op was a FAF Rattlesnake. Can't tell what they had. Can tell that:
* There was a risk of Teladi killing the ship, so it did suffer hull damage
* Lost FAF reputation (from -5 to -12), so I did shoot at engine/turrets/shields some and then more
* Had some 18 rookie marines in Boa. Only one did survive

My latest (and second in total) FAF Rattlesnake board op:
* They had 11 Veterans and 1 Elite
* I shot only the engines and lost rep (from -14 to -15). It had all plasma loadout
* Teladi were again all over her and a real threat
* Three Cobras, 24 Veterans from each. Lost only 3 out of those 72
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

jmrc
x4

Post by jmrc » Fri, 14. May 21, 19:35

I lost all my rep with FAF when I had to kill 3 rattles to save the TEL trading station, and couldn't recover it back.

As for boarding rattles I never had any issue. I currently have about 14 of them, all capped. They make excellent hunter-killers. With 85 marines, 3 heavy fighters for cover and to personally disable the targets. I also use Cobras to fetch replacements.

When dealing with allied targets, I just destroy the engines and turrets, keep hull at 100% send in the marines and let it go, with a fighter following just in case. The rep loss is minimal specially if in continuous trade with that ally.

Once I capped a rattle who had elites and vets and it required 2 full assaults. Lost all my vets in there. All others went down easily.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 14. May 21, 19:49

You should let FAF destroy Teldai stations, especially shipyards and wharf.

Here is why.

The Teladi tend to rebuild their lost shipyard and wharf in Grand exchange or 18 Billion. This makes them actually better in long term due to vastly decreased transit time for material transports.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 14. May 21, 20:39

jmrc wrote:
Fri, 14. May 21, 19:35
I lost all my rep with FAF when I had to kill 3 rattles to save the TEL trading station, and couldn't recover it back.
Between the two boarding that I did mention I have seen that "some harm comes" to 3-5 FAF rattles. Lone ones. And dropped rep from -12 to -14. Mostly due to shooting their engines. The idea was always to get the "natives" do the killing and the challenge was that next to no native can catch an intact rattler.

The most effective method is apparently fly next to rattler with cargobay full of goodies, but refuse to drop any. That way they (a) drop their disguise and (b) attack you. The plain Scan gets the #a, but then they choose "Withdraw from battle".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Sat, 15. May 21, 20:38

What do you mean you can't send reinforcement? I guess your taking about after you have already initiated the operation but you can use multiple ships in your boarding operations.

What I do is have 2-3 other ships in my fleet armed only with turrets which I set to disarm. You can use M transports for this since they carry a large crew. Just load a couple of them up with Marines and add them to your fleet to follow.

When you go in on the Destroyer to disable it. Have the M Transports fly and wait out of range. Disable the DD. Then do your boarding as usual expect now you will see that you have access to all the marines in your fleet, more than enough to overwhelm any DD unless they can a crazy elite crew.

Note" You might have to micro your fleet a bit. I usually have them fly to directly behind the target before initiating the boarding command and then micro them in. Basically have them fly to behind the target far enough to to trigger attacks by any remaining weapons on the target destroyer but close enough they won't use their travel drives when the boarding starts. Then I issue the boarding command. Then exit back out to the map and watch my subordinate ships run in to launch boarding pods. As soon as they launch the pods, I pause and then issue a Fly and Wait command away out of range of any return fire from any existing guns left on the target DD. I then right click and select the board command again which lets me watch the action. You will see all the marines you selected from all ships in your fleet land and board.

Note: You should probably also set it so that other ships involved in the boarding operation are set to "maintain distance" as well. This is to prevent any of them getting killed. This is also useful if you are trying to use ships with weapons you can't disarm like say using multiple Cobras. If you use this setting, your support ships won't fire at the enemy unless they stray into its remain weapons arcs and take fire.

In any case, you can pretty much take any ship with this method. I mean you could have a large freighter or two with 100+ marines in tow ready to help you board once the enemy ships is disabled. Also if your not all that worried about casualties, you don't even have to disable the enemy. Technically you could just swamp a Raptor with dozens of L freighters and still board it providing you can get enough pods thought it flak storm though it wouldn't be worth it.

Return to “X4: Foundations”