Will we have capital ships like battleships or dreadnoughts?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Will we have capital ships like battleships or dreadnoughts?

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 09:52

I'm pretty sure the Argon Colossus that we have already seen has XL classification while the rest cap ships were L.

razor202
x4

Post by razor202 » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 16:26

repatomonor wrote:
Mon, 22. Oct 18, 09:52
I'm pretty sure the Argon Colossus that we have already seen has XL classification while the rest cap ships were L.
However, the Argon Colossus is sure to be a carrier. So, the XL class combat ship is equal to the carrier? :gruebel:

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 16:47

razor202 wrote:
Mon, 22. Oct 18, 16:26
repatomonor wrote:
However, the Argon Colossus is sure to be a carrier. So, the XL class combat ship is equal to the carrier? :gruebel:
As I sad I'm expecting it to be a modular either carrier or battlehsip. Would make sense with the direction they are going with X4. So I'm not so sure it is only a carrier.

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 19:53

razor202 wrote:
repatomonor wrote:
In pre-Rebirth games, M1s and M2s were about the same size. The difference was in purpose, not tonnage.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 20:35

razor202 wrote:
repatomonor wrote:

I think that Argon Behemot is XL size destroyer that might be a bit smaller than Collossus.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 22:21

csaba wrote:
Mon, 22. Oct 18, 16:47
razor202 wrote:
repatomonor wrote:
As I sad I'm expecting it to be a modular either carrier or battlehsip. Would make sense with the direction they are going with X4. So I'm not so sure it is only a carrier.
Yeah, the ships have module spots designated for shields, turrets, deployable assets.

But there's not a chance that they would make bigger surface assets modular, such as docking bays.

Also, regarding the Behemoth and carriers in general, ever since Rebirth it doesn't make sense not to add at least a docking port to an L+ ship. M ships can get away with it (for example, Peregrine), because they can simply dock into any station. But L and XL ships have to be approachable by the player. Thus what defined Destroyers before in X3, have been retconned since Rebirth. So what I'm trying to say is almost every ship gets a docking port.

What will really differentiate real Carriers from a ship with a few docking ports is the launch bays, that can rapidly deploy ships without unloading delays (docked ships have to be brought up from the cap ship's belly - thus there's a longer animation delay that renders a quick fighter launch impossible). Also, meet the Colossus. Doesn't seem too modular to me.

Return to “X4: Foundations”