What does the future hold for upkeep missions?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zetoss
x4

What does the future hold for upkeep missions?

Post by Zetoss » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 04:11

The obvious benefit of having upkeep missions appear is that it helps players notice what's keeping their stations and ships from working at full capacity. The less obvious problem that has been present in XR is that sometimes these are actually a bit of a nuisance, simply because sometimes you're using something in a way that isn't anticipated.
Example: H2O Additives Facilities can be upgraded to capture water vapor and don't desperately need ice miners that buzz off into hostile space and blow up in seconds, but as long as no miner is assigned to the station you have an upkeep mission sitting there glaring angrily at you for all eternity - or at least until X4 comes out and you forget all other games and isolate yourself from the real world for a year to build your empire among the stars. :D

Maybe this subject has been mentioned somewhere but I certainly couldn't find it and it would be nice to see of ES and players both want the same thing. What I'm hoping for in X4 is any way at all to enable and disable "recommendations" (upkeep missions but with a more suitable name) individually for each ship and station. Would probably be nice to be alerted when having forgotten to actually put anything launchable in a carrier, while it would also be nice not to be alerted to a station making no credits if you built it as pure decoration to flaunt your wealth. Some sort of global toggles for "recommendations" would possibly be handy in some cases but I'm not sure if that should be much of a priority in comparison since this stuff tends to be extremely case specific anyway.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 13:20

Just turn that group of upkeep 'missions' into 'reminders' (rather like in-game tooltips maybe) and have a button that is able to dismiss them individually and permanently.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Sat, 13. Jan 18, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 13. Jan 18, 19:07

Alan Phipps wrote:Just turn that group of upkeep 'missions' into 'reminders' (rather like in-game tooltips maybe) and have a button that is able to dismiss them individually and permanently.
Absolutely. I get that they're there mostly to benefit new players. But new players become veterans over time, and obnoxiously persistent notifications with no way to disable them is... more than frustrating.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Wed, 17. Jan 18, 00:55

A5PECT wrote:and obnoxiously persistent notifications with no way to disable them is... more than frustrating.
Not sure what u mean, all upkeep missions could be seperatly enabled or disabled. + they were handled seperatly from regular missions. And no matter how 'veteran' a player is, having 60+ stations will have the player loose sight over some details that he's quickly reminded by upkeep missions. :o

Edit: Altho one improvement that i'd like to have would be configurable upkeep missions. So the player could design the perfect mission setting for each stationtype. But thats not gonna happen. Gotta keep it in mind for future mod ideas. :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”