Boxed version?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

spacecoyote99
x4

Boxed version?

Post by spacecoyote99 » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 13:42

Now that the pre-order is available, is there any word yet about buying a physical box version of X4?

If so, would it be possible to order a box but still get the key by e-mail (so we can start playing on release but still have the lovely box?)

Grobiland
x4

Re: Boxed version?

Post by Grobiland » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 13:56

Do you know the version on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.de/Deep-Silver-X4-Fo ... 808&sr=8-1
I think it's boxed, isn't it?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 13:58

Yeah it is boxed.
Don't know in which Country you are in but currently it seems to be only available in Germany
Check this link to see for your country
https://www.heidoc.net/amazon/amazon_gl ... B07HPYQCM1

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:11

Wasn't sure if that one was really verified, considering the dec. 31st delivery date and that it says "by Deep Silver", which as I understand isn't the publisher any more?

Besides, what I really want is the deluxe edition ;)

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:43

Probably a long shot given the setup required to produce good printed art books, but...
can i/we haz boxed collector's?
I guess this reinforces the 2nd post :P

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:49

Just to prevent this discussion from going too far down the rabbit hole, I should just point out that we do not yet have a final agreement with DeepSilver regarding a boxed version.

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:56

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:49
Just to prevent this discussion from going too far down the rabbit hole, I should just point out that we do not yet have a final agreement with DeepSilver regarding a boxed version.
Thanks CBJ, clear.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 18:16

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 14:49

So what you're saying in a round about way is Deep Silver have refused to package a blow up space grandma in the boxset, I gotcha :wink:

HeadClot

Post by HeadClot » Mon, 1. Oct 18, 22:59

Will the boxed version be available in the states?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 00:21

Given that, as explained a few posts back, we don't have any final agreement on a boxed version, it's probably a little premature to be talking about where a hypothetical boxed version might or might not be available. ;)

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 00:27

Now when people say boxed versions do they mean standard dvd case type of box that may or may not have a disc inside (might just have a steam key coupon inside it) or old school cardboard boxes with big colour manuals in like xbtf came in that comes on a few dvd discs or a bluray disc?

As if i were to get a boxed one id want the old school stuff, its more special. But you might end up with bog standard dvd type case version.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Sao t'Lp
x4

Post by Sao t'Lp » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 00:45

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 00:21
Given that, as explained a few posts back, we don't have any final agreement on a boxed version, it's probably a little premature to be talking about where a hypothetical boxed version might or might not be available. ;)
Any idea if an agreement can be reached before the release of X4? Sometimes Nintendo Switch games are digital only at launch but a boxed version follows at a later date.
You want Split? :split:

Araknis
x4

Post by Araknis » Thu, 4. Oct 18, 14:26

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 00:21
Tbh, i would like to buy a physical copy of the Collector's edition instead of the digital one as well, like i did with Rebirth.
IF it is possible in the next 2 months, before launch, to have an update whether at some point such a product will be available, i would get the normal version now, to buy the Collector's whenever it is launched.
All that IF it is possible and not too much trouble for you guys.
Either way i m pretty sure i ll enjoy the game and i have already arranged to be "sick" for a couple of months after launch (dammit, i m already coughing)

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 21:24

Any update? ^^

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:52

HeadClot wrote:
Mon, 1. Oct 18, 22:59
Will the boxed version be available in the states?
Will you rather wait for a box and not play X4 on Nov 30th? Considering it takes months to prepare and publish the game boxes, I doubt they will ever release a boxed version, since they don't even have an agreement yet. Agreement - contract - printing - DVD making - all that will take time and money, so my best guess - maybe, probably, most likely - no boxed version in US.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 11:00

reanor wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:52
Considering it takes months to prepare and publish the game boxes, I doubt they will ever release a boxed version, since they don't even have an agreement yet. Agreement - contract - printing - DVD making - all that will take time and money
then we can simplify it :) DVD making is not desired really. It never did ANY service to me in last 10 years. Day 1 patches always re-downloaded the entire game anyway (and it was faster to download it from internet then installing from DVD's somehow).

Boxed soundtrack CD making takes 1-2 weeks usually (+ the art). (Can be done in days if you pay more)

Printing artbook (that's the important part, digital ones are just not as valuable) takes 1-2 weeks as well (assuming they have artbook already). Similar for the novel part.

Maybe some cute 3D printed thing, a poster (A1 map would be great, but it's not part of digital, so DIY) and the nice simple box. Packing it, distributing takes time. But my guess (and this is really just a guess) the organization part really does the publisher. Meaning they are specializing on those.

Technically it really doesn't take that long (assuming 1k-3k pcs). (Where I live the longest part is debating and approving "the art" part.) So there is still time and I'm waiting until 2 weeks before release. Then it will be really too late to even announce it.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 12:42

My guess is they don't want to release an intentionally crippled boxed version that is tied to Steam or suffering from bugs that can be ironed out soon after launch. At least it's my understanding that previous boxed versions were all standalone releases?

So probably the boxed release will coincide with when they release the no steam executables, which I suspect is when the revenue of the game on Steam itself has dropped to zero.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 12:46

adeine wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 12:42
My guess is they don't want to release an intentionally crippled boxed version that is tied to Steam or suffering from bugs that can be ironed out soon after launch. At least it's my understanding that previous boxed versions were all standalone releases?
The boxed versions of X3AP and XR were both already tied to Steam.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 03:27

Any updates on this? I'd prefer the boxed version too.

Moorkh
x2

Post by Moorkh » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 00:50

I'd really be interested in an update on this. Digital products hold no value to me, so I will only pick this up at a significant sale price as it stands, but I'd love to add a big box to my collection of Xes 1 to rebirth.
I'm in no hurry to play, mind, but there'll be a point where don't think I'll bother anymore, pretty box or not.

Return to “X4: Foundations”