System requirements

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lazerius
x4

Re: System requirements

Post by Lazerius » Sat, 30. Mar 19, 23:38

memxcom wrote:
Wed, 27. Mar 19, 18:09
Browser_ice wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 17:42
After checking my budget and my current MB, I can get an I7-3770 (max possible on my MB) + GTX-1060. Currently have an I5-2500 + GTX-960 with 16GB DDR3 1600.

That would put me where in the path between my current setup and the recommended one ? +/- 70%?

Will it at lease be a smooth experience or I should still expect to have game lagging from times to times?
I can tell you it runs fine on my Win10, 2500k@4.4Ghz with 16gb RAM and AMD XFX RX480 8GB OC Black edition @1080P with high settings on most things.

Happen to check the date on that before you posted?
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 02:01

Finally bought X4 after upgrading my gfx card from an ATI Radeon HD7770 1GB to an nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB (price 460 euros).
Processor and RAM should still be ok.

Game runs fine at max detail, resolution: 1920x1080.

I wanted the GeForce GTX1070Ti first, but that card isn't available anymore at alot of online stores (unless for insane amount of money like 800 euros) and in all my local stores.
It seems the bitcoins miners bought them all, that's what I'm told anyway.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

hairyhermit
x4

Post by hairyhermit » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 16:41

Just wanna say I have a GTX 950 with I7 processor and am able to run the game on high settings now for about 40 hours of gameplay, played it for a while before buying it just in case it wouldnt run but so far so good. I do get warnings saying its not supported, and I have had ONE crash that afterward essentially said to me "We told you it wasnt supported, your game crashed and thats probably why" which I thought was pretty funny so I reloaded my game back up and its all good again.
I think if I can run it high for now, later on as things start getting more complicated I have some breathing room to turn it down to medium or even low if I have to.

Just started adding mods yesterday.
“One has to understand what the enemy is all about: the enemy's history, the enemy's culture, the enemy's aspirations. If you understand these well, you can perhaps move towards peace.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 18:03

@ hairyhermit: "played it for a while before buying it just in case it wouldnt run" So how did you manage to do that?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 7. Jun 20, 21:01

Personally I think the games given Minimum - Recommended specifications for this game are optimistic, and do not take into account a well developed gaming session with an in sector battle raging.

See my signature for own specification, and using Windows 10 Game bar performance monitor :

FPS in normal game play with no major battles occuring = 60 (Capped with NVidia driver setting), it stays up there most of the time, being capped the game is obviously averaging way above 60 to be hitting 60 constantly.

FPS in stations is variable, but never goes below 35 FPS even in asteroid heavy sectors when landed on a station.

CPU is a 6 core 8th Gen I7 (12 logical cores), and goes between 24-45% usage - This game is heaviest (according to Bernd Lehahn on the youtube videos) on CPU usage - Occasionally speedstep technology has to up the frequency to just shy of its max 4.2ghz, but even then the CPU does not exceed 45% use. The I7 8750H in my machine is above even the games "recommended" specification.

GPU is a laptop 1050 TI, which doesn't have the same capability as a desktop GPU, but never exceeds 50% use.

When a major battle is happening in sector, FPS goes to slideshow / stutter mode, sometimes as low as 15 fps which is awful .. But the CPU and GPU are not increasing any more than stated already.

So personally I think the game may be playable (under all circumstances including heavy well developed game with an in sector battle occurring) on future machines in about five years time.
Currently the stated specifications for the game (imho) are BS if you want the game to run decently under all game generated circumstances worst case scenarios.
And thats without making your own stations in sector with too many additional modules attached, I am talking about sectors without your own stations, using only the one player station gained by the missions, and only adding a few storage modules and a few solar panels .. In a sector many sectors away, with only a few traders.

We should have a reasonable expectation that any scenario in this game, especially if you have a high end CPU and above minimum spec GPU, should play well without stutter of any kind. But as soon as a battle starts in sector currently thats not the case.

I love the game, but until I get a machine probably five years down the road that can handle everything this game can stress your machine with comes along, I am avoiding any major battles.
As I said the specifications given are at least optimistic, and do not specify either that really you need SSD hard drives - Mechanical hard drives would be awful for this game and imho that needs clarifying on the sites we buy the game from. Both of mine are SSDs, but still have issues loading the next sector.
The specifications stated also need to give laptop specs, not just desktop specs. Many people these days buy gaming laptops and do not realise the pitfalls of following game specifications only to realise later what they thought would be a machine capable enough going by the game specifications is in fact woefully inadiquate especially on the GPU. Thats circa 1000 british pounds down the drain, followed by another 1000+ to get the machine that (may) be up to the job, not currently though. Thats a lot of wonga guided by "optimistic" specifications wasted.

Edit : Top tip - X3 Albion Prelude (even when heavilly modified) is butter smooth on a machine in X4s specification range, and still a lot of fun without any hint of stuttering anywhere. So that probably serves as a guide as to when to expect X4 to run great on future machines. Dont know about X Rebirth, I bought it but even with its most recent update still don't like that particular part of the X series.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Mon, 8. Jun 20, 03:39

hairyhermit wrote:
Sun, 7. Jun 20, 16:41
Just wanna say I have a GTX 950 with I7 processor and am able to run the game on high settings now for about 40 hours of gameplay,
My GTX 770 4GB SC with an I5 4770k can run X4 at Medium to high graphics at 4k res and hold 40+ fps without a single crash that was not caused by a mod. If you're seeing crashes without mods, you should look into the OS level issue, such as drivers or the actual OS just being bad.

Return to “X4: Foundations”