System requirements

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: System requirements

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 13:26

MegaJohnny wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 13:06
That's wild, I have a 1080 and I struggle to reach 60 in many places. Maybe CPU is finally showing its age...
Lol, on my 5+ years laptop I was happy if there was solid 30 FPS and ~20 FPS on more dense areas :)

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:30

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 13:26
MegaJohnny wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 13:06
That's wild, I have a 1080 and I struggle to reach 60 in many places. Maybe CPU is finally showing its age...
Lol, on my 5+ years laptop I was happy if there was solid 30 FPS and ~20 FPS on more dense areas :)
Idem with a i5-4670k + 950 GTX 30fps is just enough but drops on smoked areas…
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Retrox
x4

Post by Retrox » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 08:58

EmperorDragon wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 13:01

Fortunately X4 comes out 8 days before December bonus so I have the option of replacing it with something more beefy. Nice timing Egosoft!
Well, for me its a rather bad release date. 3 days later, i have my most important "test-day" (dont know how to call it in english^^). Thus, i dont have the time to play it at the release date. :shock:
Intel i7 8700, Gtx 1070, 16gb RAM. I think i'm ready for X4. Bring it on, Egosoft!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 09:09

These days it's smart to skip the release day as there will be day one pach anyway :)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 14:08

I don't really want to wait until release day to know if I will need to upgrade my hardware, for one very important reason. Black Friday deals. If I am going to buy new hardware, I want to get the very best deal possible, which usually means the day after Thanksgiving (Nov 23rd). If I don't by then know how well my GTX 960 will perform relative to X4, whether I need to upgrade it or leave it be, it would be a bit unfortunate. So hopefully, if they do revise their hardware specifications, it will happen before that point.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:26

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 14:08
I don't really want to wait until release day to know if I will need to upgrade my hardware, for one very important reason. Black Friday deals. If I am going to buy new hardware, I want to get the very best deal possible, which usually means the day after Thanksgiving (Nov 23rd). If I don't by then know how well my GTX 960 will perform relative to X4, whether I need to upgrade it or leave it be, it would be a bit unfortunate. So hopefully, if they do revise their hardware specifications, it will happen before that point.
With a GTX 960 (I have one too) you can play every game on mid and high settings if you not aim for more than full HD.
If X4 would show bad performance on a GTX 960 then there would be something wrong with the game.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:29

LittleBird wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:26
Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 14:08
With a GTX 960 (I have one too) you can play every game on mid and high settings if you not aim for more than full HD.
If X4 would show bad performance on a GTX 960 then there would be something wrong with the game.
And yet, a GTX 960 is below the listed minimum specs! I know this card works great for everything I own, even the Star Citizen alpha, but there is this nagging voice inside me that keeps whispering "Upgrade!" in my ear.

Xeroeth
x4

Post by Xeroeth » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 15:49

LittleBird wrote:
No, there wouldn't be anything wrong. The engine is the same, however there are many factors that decide how it will act performance wise, even with a bit of optimization. There will be more to render, world will be a LOT bigger than in X:R. And I don't mean bigger as in each sector, but as a whole. Remember that we won't have any loading screens, that means the GPU will have to load the textures in the background AND at the same time render all there is to the ongoing gameplay on an entirely new scale. Even if we have some kind of instances, we will go from one to another naturally, without the user noticing. Rendering whole fleets, dozens, maybe even hundreds of ships at the same time with already big instances that need to be constatnly kept in the VRAM/RAM will need a considerable amount of both.

Also, there is one MAYOR change to the engine, it is based entirely on Vulcan this time. Nvidia 9xx series performance in vulcan was rly poor compared to the AMD. 1xxx series are a little better, but AMD is still the king of the hill in that generation. The new green team 2xxx series comes with a huge improvement in that aspect and as a result, they are the best performers in every category (with a crazy prize tag, that came along with this accomplishment).

Imo the actual recommended specs for medium should be considered as minimum to play at medium/high settings on 1080p. Of course it's all speculation, but for the information we have atm, I say a pretty good speculation.

I'm sitting on 1070 only because the ultra wide WQHD monitor I'm waiting for isn't released. When it's out there, I will probably get a used 1080Ti until the next 7nm generation is out. I don't want to pay the "monopolization" tax for the Nvidia ... For the 1080p, GTX 1070 is all anyone would ever need. So if you wan't to be ready, get a used one for now. You can buy it dirty cheap atm, since all the RTX craziness ;)
||MOBO: ASUS X99-A II||CPU:I7-6800k||GPU:EVGA 3080FTW3||RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z 64GB||PSU:EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W P2||
||DISPLAYS:SAMSUNG G9 & IYAMA PROLITE XU2390||LCS:2xHWL BLACK ICE SR2 480 & LAING D5||SYSTEM:WIN 11||

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 06:32

LittleBird wrote:
Not really. It's a four-year-old mid-range card, built on a six-year-old process (the failure of the 20nm node meant a lot of stagnation). It's not at all strange to consider it obsolete at this point. If a game can't run on low-end hardware, that could mean that it is poorly coded, but it's also entirely possible that they are doing things that are actually computationally expensive. There's no need to assume the game is defective.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 10:23

I won't be joining the game on release day because I definately need to upgrade my hardware.

I'm almost certain the game won't run on an ATI Radeon HD 7770 1GB. It runs GTA V, but only on a low resolution.
There are many games which simply need a better card to run fine, but I always need to reduce the settings to minimum detail to make it playable.

I wanted to go for an NVidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, but it's also below minimum specs so I'll go for the NVidia 1070 Ti 8GB instead.
But there are so many versions of that card: MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, Windforce, extra silent, INNO3d, and alot more versions which all same to be the same card but simply with some extra fans, lights, cover, ...
I guess since my motherboard is MSI, I'll better go for the MSI version.
I don't need those LEDs and special covers and 5 display ports and what else they replace to make it different. I miss the days when they had just 1 version of a gfx card, it was alot easier to get the correct card.

That card should be able to run it on max detail (or medium at least) at decent framerates and give me some extras for a few years to come.
But it costs around 500 euros, which is almost the same price as my entire pc was worth when I bought it (700 euros).
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 11:31

fcth wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 06:32
LittleBird wrote:
Not really. It's a four-year-old mid-range card, built on a six-year-old process (the failure of the 20nm node meant a lot of stagnation). It's not at all strange to consider it obsolete at this point. If a game can't run on low-end hardware, that could mean that it is poorly coded, but it's also entirely possible that they are doing things that are actually computationally expensive. There's no need to assume the game is defective.
In that case it is poorly coded and therefore would be something wrong with the game.
Why the hell should be X4 the game where requirements exceeds every other game out there? Why the hell should Egosoft aim for requirements that would reduce the potential amount of players? A 1070 for recommended is an insanely high requirement.

I would consider the 900 generation becomming obsolet for upcomming heavy demanding games like Metro but not for X. Egosofts engine is not the state of the art anymore (no surprise with a small team) so demanding like the big guys is for me out of discussion.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Perkel
x4

Post by Perkel » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 13:51

If X:Rebirth is how game will run then:

CPU:
i5-2500K@4,5Ghz = 40-60fps with dips to 30fps.
i5-2500K@2,5Ghz = 30-40fps average with dips to 15-20fps

i7-7700K@4,5Ghz = same as 2500K@4,5Ghz maybe few fps higher
i5-8600K@4Ghz = a bit lower fps than above

GTX970 should be easily enough to run game at ultra@1080p and still have % left because CPU won't keep up.
GTX980@1080p@ultra will be around 30% use on average coupled with best CPU you can get.

Game will be completely CPU bound and i don't think there will be any CPU that will give you ability to lock game to 60fps.

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 16:07

LittleBird wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 11:31
In that case it is poorly coded and therefore would be something wrong with the game.
Why the hell should be X4 the game where requirements exceeds every other game out there? Why the hell should Egosoft aim for requirements that would reduce the potential amount of players? A 1070 for recommended is an insanely high requirement.

I would consider the 900 generation becomming obsolet for upcomming heavy demanding games like Metro but not for X. Egosofts engine is not the state of the art anymore (no surprise with a small team) so demanding like the big guys is for me out of discussion.
Egosoft can set their requirements where they like. They don't need your permission to set a high bar. Why do you think MEtro is a demanding game, but not X4? It clearly is demanding or it wouldn't have these requirements. Having a small team does not mean the game is necessarily any less graphically intensive (it does probably mean you have fewer resources for optimization). The engine is not some old crusty thing, indeed it is one of the first to support the new Vulkan API, but that really doesn't even have any meaning, what you are trying to show is more important than the engine you are showing it with.

And as for why they would aim to have requirements that reduce the size of their audience, I'm sure they went over that in detail. According to the Steam Hardware Survey, the 960 is about 9% of the Vulkan capable audience (they may other numbers as well, because the audience for Steam users is obviously not quite the same as the audience for niche space sims). I'm sure they'd love to have those potential customers though (and indeed would like to be able to run all they way down to Intel's processor graphics). However doing so would have required making sacrifices in terms of what they showed users with better hardware, and significant design changes to get things to run there. They clearly feel there is a big enough audience out there with better hardware (and of course that audience is only going to get bigger).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 18:11

I really don't understand why people are getting so entrenched in discussions of system specs that the devs have said are just guidelines that are not yet finalised and so could go up or down. I *imagine* that they would have wished to err on the cautious (higher) side when setting the early spec guidelines, but that is not guaranteed. I do fully realise that this poses a problem for those considering or having sent a pre-order, but that is the reality of the uncertainty of the current situation.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 19:33

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 18:11
I really don't understand why people are getting so entrenched in discussions of system specs that the devs have said are just guidelines that are not yet finalised and so could go up or down. I *imagine* that they would have wished to err on the cautious (higher) side when setting the early spec guidelines, but that is not guaranteed. I do fully realise that this poses a problem for those considering or having sent a pre-order, but that is the reality of the uncertainty of the current situation.
I agree with you, but with less than 45 days left to launch the game, there should already be a more definitive position on the requirements of the game.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 23:42

It''s not obvious as the game is probably in last design and optimisation process... if thé optimisations are weak you'll need high end hardware... if it''s optimisable fine, then the minimu specs will down...

Let them do the job and tell us what should be enough to play! "Enough to play" is a very subjective point of view though...
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 00:49

Just spent 2.925€ to change my computer for this game

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 01:49

I believe they need focus make CPU optimization max they can since this game is heavly cpu bound and very common have nice fancy gpu but weak cpu because people underated power of CPU in their FPS

Plus i on old cpu(i can upgrade any time if not running well but its not a plan)
i5-2500k
+ 1060 6gb

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 01:55

Karvat wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 00:49
Just spent 2.925€ to change my computer for this game
Specs?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)