Will we have the jumpdrive in X4?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

razor202
x4

Will we have the jumpdrive in X4?

Post by razor202 » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:00

Did Egosoft once say that the jumpdrive was removed in X4 to balance player's power? I don't hope so, because without the jumpdrive, we will have to place our ships everywhere in the X universe to make sure we can react to any incidence immediately. And the L/XL ships really need it, as they moves too slow!

Arvel
x4

Re: Will we have the jumpdrive in X4?

Post by Arvel » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:28

They've said no.

I feel it's a good change in theory, as it adds a layer of strategy to the game, while being able to teleport into your own ships lets you still be present no matter where an event is taking place. If I was attacking or being attacked in X3 I always threw my entire armada at it, and there was little incentive for setting up patrol routes, etc. because I could have my entire fleet be nearly anywhere, nearly instantly. There was no reason to use strategy for deploying assets, as opposed to forming a giant murder ball.

However, I did notice in one of the most recent videos that the ship deployables menu lists "Nav Beacons" which were used as jump points in past games. If they aren't for jump drives anymore my only guess is they somehow extend the range of the HQ's player teleporter.

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:36

It's unlikely, but I would not be entirely surprised if it was added in later. Like they did with the Skunk JD in X Rebirth.

But really, we need to actually play X4 to get an idea of whether the lack of JD is a bad thing. Right now, we JUST DON'T KNOW.

nemesis1982
x4

Post by nemesis1982 » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:51

There's a very long thread and many rants about this to be found on the forum. Jump drive will not be in.
Save game editor XR and CAT/DAT Extractor
Keep in mind that it's still a work in progress although it's taking shape nicely.

If anyone is interested in a new save game editor for X4 and would like to contribute to the creation of one let me know. I do not have sufficient time to create it alone, but if there are enough people who want it and want to contribute we might be able to set something up.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 09:42

thats what they said about XR, then after many people demanded it they had to stick it in. The same with SETA.
Just... another... bug.

lplates
x4

Post by lplates » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 10:36

From what we know so far I like the direction they are going with the strategic play and the jump drive definitely bypasses all of that, so for now I think it is the right move.
Obviously taking away features is always going to bite but in this case I'm ready to embrace it and see how it works.

Teleporting in the mid/late game is something we will have to plan for and control with ship placement and I like that we have to continually work for it to make it effective. The X3 universe became so small when you could jump any ship to any gate at any moment. In the early game having to get hold of fast ships and doing the long haul made the universe seem so much bigger.

I think setting up a perimiter defence around 'my space' and defending that line is going to more than make up for the loss of the jump.

@Egosoft: just don't spawn anything my side of the line, if it wants in it goes the long way :D

Spero
x3

Post by Spero » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 10:53

I feel like being able to jump into any ship is a better alternative to the jumpdrive anyway. Besides, someone is absolutely going to mod it in anyway.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 11:29

Arvel wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:28

However, I did notice in one of the most recent videos that the ship deployables menu lists "Nav Beacons" which were used as jump points in past games. If they aren't for jump drives anymore my only guess is they somehow extend the range of the HQ's player teleporter.
Nah, you are thinking of Jump Beacons. Nav beacons simply light up, they are extremely appearent in XR and X2's Loomankstrat's Legacy.

Arvel
x4

Post by Arvel » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 11:37

repatomonor wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 11:29
Nah, you are thinking of Jump Beacons. Nav beacons simply light up, they are extremely appearent in XR and X2's Loomankstrat's Legacy.
Ah, I see. Thanks, my memory must be going in my old age.

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 11:45

razor202 wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:00
Did Egosoft once say that the jumpdrive was removed in X4 to balance player's power? I don't hope so, because without the jumpdrive, we will have to place our ships everywhere in the X universe to make sure we can react to any incidence immediately. And the L/XL ships really need it, as they moves too slow!
What about just let it happen?
I mean if you perfectly can react to any incident... it is not an incident I would say.
Financial loss, risks, control loss are things the X-series lacks. What did we do in the past? We had one playership that could jump immediately to every corner of the X-Universe and clear every thread. Later on we did it with fleets.

Well I can understand if people do not like the concept of controll loss but I like it. This could push the game dynamic and open new ways to play.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 13:07

LittleBird wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 11:45
Well I can understand if people do not like the concept of controll loss but I like it. This could push the game dynamic and open new ways to play.
Yep, as it should be. If you build a station somewhere in the outskirts and leave it undefended, expect that it will be targeted by Xenon or Pirates and blown up ;)

Likewise, it would pay to thoroughly scout an area of uncharted space in a small fast ship before sending a fleet through just in case you stumble upon something bigger and hostile that you can't handle.

I think OP is worrying too much, at the start of the game we will be able to 'work' with already established territories which need little in the way of defending or "incident control" and we just need to be careful about how we expand and explore. Biting off more than we can chew is going to be more detrimental in X4 than it was in X3, and I like that idea.
Admiral of the Fleet.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 13:40

I kind of like the idea of missing jump drives, given that I shouldn't need to personally fly laps around the universe to keep up with things. The fact that the AI didn't put them to such extensive use as the player always seemed a bit odd, but at the same time a relief because if they were jumping everywhere it would be a nightmare to defend against. Kind of like how I was inexplicably the only person in the known universe who ever wondered what would happen if a bunch of factories were physically linked together into a complex. :gruebel:
***modified***

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 13:46

No worries, I'm sure there will be a mod for that.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 14:49

razor202 wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 08:00
Yeah, and your example is a great reason as to why. You now need to think strategically about ship placement. Spread yourself too thin and risk losses, cluster up and limit your area of coverage/control.

Also, they are adding a long range teleporter (it might have to be unlocked via research or mission line), that will let you (the player) jump to your ships and take control of them, so you can assist ships that get into trouble.

Perkel
x4

Post by Perkel » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:51

I agree with EGOSOFT here.
Jumpdrive basically dissallows any strategy. You always have your whole fleet at your fingertip.
Without jumpdrive you need to strategize, you can't just jump into middle of someone core system and destroy everyone etc.

Does anyone know if SETA was in ? I always like SETA because it solved issue of vastness of universe.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 17:13

Yes, SETA is in.

lplates
x4

Post by lplates » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 17:17

Perkel wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:51
I agree with EGOSOFT here.
Jumpdrive basically dissallows any strategy. You always have your whole fleet at your fingertip.
Without jumpdrive you need to strategize, you can't just jump into middle of someone core system and destroy everyone etc.

Does anyone know if SETA was in ? I always like SETA because it solved issue of vastness of universe.
I don't recall seeing confirmation that SETA was in but I have seen ES talk about how much they hate it and how it was a fudge to get around design issues.

Personally I only ever used SETA to sit back watch my Empire/Factories/Patrols etc go about their business. I never really used it for Travel, so I suspect I won't miss it.
Time will tell.

Edit: Ninja'd by CBJ :D

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 20:16

Was not a fan of the Jump Drive in X3 I mean it was awesome in some ways but it made trading feel meh in the long run. All the missions seem to be based more on jump drives as well making the timers near impossible a lot of the times. I think Jump drive me a great modding option and even then I think it should be something special maybe like part of the HQ upgrade where it's sort of a 1 time use with a massive resource cost if material or power for emergencies, etc. But I don't want to see all the traders blinking all over the map I think be nice to actually see things done based on full out flying there, etc.

Teleporter sounds like it be a great gap measure almost near what I said for the mod idea but it teleports your character not your ship / fleet

This my 3 cents but it's how I feel about it.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 03:32

I loved SETA in X3...

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 03:43

While i don't necessarily agree with the lack of a jump drive, Not without a valid reason in story anyway. (How does any civilization just "Forget" FTL). I can believe it if the regions were separate from Teracorp, Albion, Or any of the other Jumpdrive Manufacturers, however you would think that any intelligent civilization would have data backups on every planet before the gates went down in any eventuality. I do agree that they've implemented enough features to placate most fans of FTL.
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Return to “X4: Foundations”