Can we see actual gameplay?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Can we see actual gameplay?

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 14:45

I don't mean assorted shots of ships moving around while we have a narration telling us what we will be able to do. I mean someone playing the actual game, actually doing those things. And instead of being a couple minutes in length, it should be more extended in length, like half an hour at least. Things like setting up a trade run from start to finish, accepting and doing a combat mission from start to finish, mining, station building, etc. I was hoping this was what they meant when the said they would release a gameplay trailer along with the announcement trailer on Monday, but it was mostly just talk of what it would be like, not actually showing us how it would play. Two month before release, there should not be any excuse right now for not being able to show something like this. I can accept seeing bugs, as long as I know the vision and overall direction of the game is something I would enjoy. Bugs can be ironed out, but poor gameplay decisions tend to stick around forever.

I feel that now that the preorder button is up, we deserve (yes, deserve) a much more detailed look at what we are getting into before we commit to buying. Especially after the fiasco that was the Rebirth launch. If people can go into getting this with their eyes wide open, and have a good idea of how the game will actually play because they have seen either the devs or some third party play the game via youtube or twitch, it will do a lot to help allay fears and build trust.

If Egosoft does not wish to show playthrough footage because they are afraid that it would generate a negative reaction, then that would indicate they don't have faith in their product, and that they might have another Rebirth on their hands. I hope this is not the case, but before I go spend $75 on the Collectors Edition (and possibly much more on a graphics card to meet the ridiculously high minimum specs), I want to see how the game actually plays, not just how well it renders spaceships, and not just take the devs words that it will do this or that or how cool it will be.

Slashman
x4

Re: Can we see actual gameplay?

Post by Slashman » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:11

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 14:45
I don't mean assorted shots of ships moving around while we have a narration telling us what we will be able to do. I mean someone playing the actual game, actually doing those things. And instead of being a couple minutes in length, it should be more extended in length, like half an hour at least. Things like setting up a trade run from start to finish, accepting and doing a combat mission from start to finish, mining, station building, etc. I was hoping this was what they meant when the said they would release a gameplay trailer along with the announcement trailer on Monday, but it was mostly just talk of what it would be like, not actually showing us how it would play. Two month before release, there should not be any excuse right now for not being able to show something like this. I can accept seeing bugs, as long as I know the vision and overall direction of the game is something I would enjoy. Bugs can be ironed out, but poor gameplay decisions tend to stick around forever.

I feel that now that the preorder button is up, we deserve (yes, deserve) a much more detailed look at what we are getting into before we commit to buying. Especially after the fiasco that was the Rebirth launch. If people can go into getting this with their eyes wide open, and have a good idea of how the game will actually play because they have seen either the devs or some third party play the game via youtube or twitch, it will do a lot to help allay fears and build trust.

If Egosoft does not wish to show playthrough footage because they are afraid that it would generate a negative reaction, then that would indicate they don't have faith in their product, and that they might have another Rebirth on their hands. I hope this is not the case, but before I go spend $75 on the Collectors Edition (and possibly much more on a graphics card to meet the ridiculously high minimum specs), I want to see how the game actually plays, not just how well it renders spaceships, and not just take the devs words that it will do this or that or how cool it will be.
Wow. Not demanding at all!

Any way you can refund any order you make through Steam or just wait for it to come out.

It's just a game...people are taking this thing way too seriously. If they lied and the game is awful, people will refund in droves and they will have another negative review on Steam (which will not go away). You either trust them or you don't. No one is forcing you to make a choice. So this demand you are throwing out means nothing. Wait for it to come out or not.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:15

It has nothing to do with having faith in the product. We simply don't have the time and resources to make long "let's play" type videos, and with various things still being worked on it wouldn't be particularly helpful anyway. If you want to see "let's play" type videos before you decide whether you want to buy the game, then that's your prerogative; just wait for release and watch some. There will no doubt be plenty of them!

We are, of course, delighted if people want to pre-order based on what we've been able to show so far, but we also understand that some people will want to wait and see how things work in more detail, looking at things like let's play videos, reviews, and feedback from other players, before making their decision.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:17

Agreed with the OP. I like my gameplay videos to BE gameplay, not explain what the gameplay is. Hopefully we get another video before release because it would certainly ease many of my concerns.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:21

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:15
It has nothing to do with having faith in the product. We simply don't have the time and resources to make long "let's play" type videos, and with various things still being worked on it wouldn't be particularly helpful anyway. If you want to see "let's play" type videos before you decide whether you want to buy the game, then that's your prerogative; just wait for release and watch some. There will no doubt be plenty of them!

We are, of course, delighted if people want to pre-order based on what we've been able to show so far, but we also understand that some people will want to wait and see how things work in more detail, looking at things like let's play videos, reviews, and feedback from other players, before making their decision.
I'm sure there are many, many people you could lend a beta copy of the game to make a "let's play" version who would do this for absolutely free, and do a good job of it too. So that would solve the whole "time and resources" issue. You could even stipulate that Egosoft gets to review the video before it's released.
Last edited by Falcrack on Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:22

Of course I would love to see a video like that, but to say Egosoft is obligated to provide it seems a little over the top to say the least.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:40

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:21
I'm sure there are many, many people you could lend a beta copy of the game to make a "let's play" version who would do this for absolutely free, and do a good job of it too. So that would solve the whole "time and resources" issue. You could even stipulate that Egosoft gets to review the video before it's released.
So essentially you're asking a volunteer else to give up their time and resources instead, so that you don't have to wait for the people who do this kind of thing anyway after release. Not that it would actually solve the time and resources issue entirely anyway, because reviewing it and bouncing feedback to whoever did it would still take require a lot of work. And yes, we would have to do that, to avoid misunderstandings over features that are still subject to change, spoilers that we don't want spoiled before release, and so on. Not to mention various other issues with it, such as that it still couldn't show all the features because some are not ready, which would lead to people saying we were "hiding something", and that it wouldn't be seen as impartial because of our hand in it.

Again, if you want to wait until you've seen this kind of material then that's fine; we are not forcing you to pre-order.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:53

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 14:45
I feel that now that the preorder button is up, we deserve (yes, deserve) a much more detailed look at what we are getting into before we commit to buying.
No offence intended man, but you sound quite entitled with this line :) Maybe reign it back just a tad lol

I actually blame pre-orders, season passes, and other DLC 'strategies' for many gamers' continued sense of entitlement and impatience.

I disagree with the way things in the gaming industry have been going, 'season passes' and similar have polluted things. Paying for something you know hasn't even been made yet, can't tell what it is like or going to be like (as it's 100% subject to change), and possibly may never even see in your lifetime is just absolutely bonkers crazy!

I'm personally shying away from the collectors edition for X4 just because of this, as I know it will include the next 2 DLCs which to me is just like buying a 'season pass' which I vehemently disagree with. (I might not even like the DLCs once they are announced, whatever they are going to be, there's literally no way I can even tell yet.) But that is my choice. I do not "deserve" anything for making that choice as a consumer.

If you feel you need to wait for some "let's play" videos, then wait. On release there will be people streaming, you will be able to read forums about how release day is going, and make up your mind as to when the threshold is crossed where you are happy to part with your cash.
Admiral of the Fleet.

Cerulius
x4

Post by Cerulius » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:58

Hard to please everyone for sure.

A lot of us have followed the game for a while and many answers can be gleaned from watching the development streams and screenshots. I'm satisfied enough from all I've seen, so pre-order inc next payday.

But, to each their own.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:08

Man the demands these days. Just wait till the game is out. People will be showing actual footage then.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:09

That's rather worrying, you say there's missing features or not finished features with only 2 months to release, I'd have expected the game feature complete with just polishing up and performance tuning by now.

:?
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:15

Game developers rarely have the luxury of spending two months just polishing and optimising!

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:23

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 16:15
Game developers rarely have the luxury of spending two months just polishing and optimising!
Hope you don't mind me adding to this.

Games these days from the biggest AAA Companies come out as Gold. This is we are done now this is the final copy to give the world. Then day 1 there is a patch sometimes 1gig sometimes 30gigs worth of updates. Even the big AAA companies are working on things fixing them last minute, etc.

Why do you think they waited on the release date? They were not trying be jerks and keep it a secret. I bet that date changed multiple times internally as does it with many other games out there.

The big difference here is when this game releases and sure might be some bugs there will be patches for years to come just like X3, Rebirth, and even X4.

Once thing with Egosoft is they back their products for years to come and this is factual information with proof on aka change logs :)

Perkel
x4

Post by Perkel » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 17:12

gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IO-q5J9l9o

But this is not continuous 15 minutes or something but clips.

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 19:20

Anyway, there will be plenty of guys that will make videos of the gameplay after the release date.
So if you don't want to invest in this game because you think it could not be for you, then wait for those videos.

I prefer that Ego release a stable and good game at novenmber 30th rather than seeing them spending their time making some videos about gameplay. I don't want a broken game at the release date!
I don't know if i'm correct, i'm not english but i hope you see the idea. :roll:
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

Lwerewolf
x4

Post by Lwerewolf » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 19:59

Général Grievous wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 19:20
I don't want a broken game at the release date!
It probably won't be outright broken, but if you look at Egosoft's past releases...

Of course, there's also the bit where they really, REALLY stand behind their product so at least for me a preorder is justified.

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 21:39

It's perfectly okay to wait. It's not like Steam is going to run out of copies of X4 on November the 30th! lol

Give the game a week or two for hotfixes and people to post let's plays and reviews online and then make a judgement on what you find.

Personally, I never preorder anyway. Period. But when November 30 comes along. Blam! Getting it as soon as the game is available.

(I'm one of those weirdos who like both X3 AND X:Rebirth! And X4:Foundations looks to me to combine the best aspects of both games, and throws a few of it's own on top! Looking forward to checking out that map interface!)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 21:51

Lwerewolf wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 19:59
Général Grievous wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 19:20
I don't want a broken game at the release date!
It probably won't be outright broken, but if you look at Egosoft's past releases...

Of course, there's also the bit where they really, REALLY stand behind their product so at least for me a preorder is justified.
Were there any issues with X3:TC past release? I think that one was rather stable from the start.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 22:57

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:40
Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 15:21
So essentially you're asking a volunteer else to give up their time and resources instead, so that you don't have to wait for the people who do this kind of thing anyway after release. Not that it would actually solve the time and resources issue entirely anyway, because reviewing it and bouncing feedback to whoever did it would still take require a lot of work. And yes, we would have to do that, to avoid misunderstandings over features that are still subject to change, spoilers that we don't want spoiled before release, and so on. Not to mention various other issues with it, such as that it still couldn't show all the features because some are not ready, which would lead to people saying we were "hiding something", and that it wouldn't be seen as impartial because of our hand in it.

Again, if you want to wait until you've seen this kind of material then that's fine; we are not forcing you to pre-order.
Many game developers in order to create a hype for their game provide some game play demos to major gaming sites, they play the game and do the game review before it is officially out. This way people get a fair first look at the game. Releasing the game half broken, like you did in with X Rebirth, creates doubts in people, that's why they want to see some real gameplay. Mind you I loved the XR, ticked almost 500 hours in it by running stations etc, but this was 3 years after the official release. So by not releasing any info other than approved production sketches and renders of the game, you make us a bit suspicious. I don't care if you give us gameplay demo or not, but I do care that you release a playable game and that you actually learned on a bad experience you had with XR. Those failures hopefully taught you how to make your game READY for release. Please don't release another game in a disaster stage, but rather make sure you don't repeat the same XR experience with your X foundations game.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Tue, 2. Oct 18, 23:08

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 2. Oct 18, 21:51
Were there any issues with X3:TC past release? I think that one was rather stable from the start.
Definitely a lot more stable than Reunion was, and more than Rebirth ended up being.

It's encouraging to know that X4 was based heavily on Rebirth, but doesn't just outright use the same engine (as in, they were willing to rip out and rewrite problematic stuff. :P) Hopefully that will result in a release resembling Terran Conflict much more closely than Reunion.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Return to “X4: Foundations”