Atmosphere in X4 (Not Planetary)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Re: Atmosphere in X4 (Not Planetary)

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 10:30

Well, I'm thinking that dynamic nebulae might make a return, at least in some form. Remember that big electron cloud in Teladi Outpost? Just take that, remove the electricity, make it thinker, and reduce scanner effective range. Perfect hiding spot.

Then we can have moments like this: https://youtu.be/2aodLBr0shc?t=1m35s
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 12:12

There's another thing that stood out in X2 now that I think about it: visibility range, especially of the ships.

I remember first entering a sector, but especially, a Boron sector that was pretty darned foggy inside a nebula (I think it was Queen's space), and all you could see were the engine lights of the passing ships in the distance, and the nav beacons blinking to guide you.

Or if you went to explore, you could easily rely on the engine lights, ships that were too far away were still blinking, and you could easily tell what race's ship was it because they had race specific thruster lens flare.

It's the little things like this made X2 so awesome. Also, the nostalgia factor boosts it up too.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 14. Oct 18, 21:11

Oh, sorry for the double post, but remembered something again. Zuran time. That was the sh*t.

Trying to translate 1 mazuras 3 mizuras and 55 sezuras back to our time system.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Sun, 14. Oct 18, 22:49

repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 14. Oct 18, 21:11
Oh, sorry for the double post, but remembered something again. Zuran time. That was the sh*t.

God that stuff was beyond corny, i actualy cringed when i heard them say "YOU HAVE 10 MIZURAS TO SURRENDER!"

Its like a reverse General Scales, speaks an entirely different alien laguage, but will go "oota zolo at uah GENERAL SCALES!", screaming his own name and rank in english every time, but in X2 its "Pilot! Surrender now! You have 10 MIZUARAS before we open fire" saying at random nonsensical times random space words, the cheese and corn....ITS TO MUCH!

At least other random space words from other series have made a bit more sense to me:

Battlestar Galactica has Frak, which is similar to....well not sure if i can say it on these forums but we all know what it sounds like.

Warhammer 40k has Feth and Gak, which is are similar in sound and phraseing to exactly what your mind thinks they are when a guardsmen calls somone a "Fethin Gakhead"

So onwards into the mizarukar! for the X series shall floober their narglers....FLABOOOODINNN!

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 00:45

BlackDog wrote:
Sun, 14. Oct 18, 22:49
repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 14. Oct 18, 21:11

God that stuff was beyond corny, i actualy cringed when i heard them say "YOU HAVE 10 MIZURAS TO SURRENDER!"

Its like a reverse General Scales, speaks an entirely different alien laguage, but will go "oota zolo at uah GENERAL SCALES!", screaming his own name and rank in english every time, but in X2 its "Pilot! Surrender now! You have 10 MIZUARAS before we open fire" saying at random nonsensical times random space words, the cheese and corn....ITS TO MUCH!

At least other random space words from other series have made a bit more sense to me:

Battlestar Galactica has Frak, which is similar to....well not sure if i can say it on these forums but we all know what it sounds like.

Warhammer 40k has Feth and Gak, which is are similar in sound and phraseing to exactly what your mind thinks they are when a guardsmen calls somone a "Fethin Gakhead"

So onwards into the mizarukar! for the X series shall floober their narglers....FLABOOOODINNN!
I actually cringe a lot more when I remember that Argons have translated the ship names to animals and gods that aren't recorded in any part of Argon history.

Zuran time might be goofy. But at least it made the universe a bit more believable.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 06:18

repatomonor wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 00:45

Zuran time might be goofy. But at least it made the universe a bit more believable.
I dono, depending on the voice translation you play as, they speak normaly the entire time until it comes to units of time, to me that makes it less believable, though everything else in the game counters that bit of goofyness and it becomes a non issue, just somthing I chuckle at :)

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 06:43

BlackDog wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 06:18
repatomonor wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 00:45

I dono, depending on the voice translation you play as, they speak normaly the entire time until it comes to units of time, to me that makes it less believable, though everything else in the game counters that bit of goofyness and it becomes a non issue, just somthing I chuckle at :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but words like "mizura" aren't just "minute" (or whatever) translated into Teladi. It's an entirely different system (although, of course, metatextually it's in some way based on our real-world timekeeping). Your complaint sounds like me saying my immersion is broken because I, an American, see speed limits in kilometers per hour when I travel to the UK.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 17:11

Na, not saying my immersion is broken, just saying i chuckle when i hear it because it sounds so goofy.

Plus KPH is better than MPH :)

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 17:42

BlackDog wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 17:11
Na, not saying my immersion is broken, just saying i chuckle when i hear it because it sounds so goofy.
Oh for sure, it's goofy as heck. :P Same game that coined Chairman Ceo, Far Wellsgo, The Profiteroid, Ho t'Sht... :khaak:...
BlackDog wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 17:11
Plus KPH is better than MPH :)
Sorry, can't hear you from 86.22 horsepower-feet per furlong-pound away
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 18:22

[OT] BTW, speed limits in the UK are in mph and not kph. Still, I know what point was intended there. [/OT]
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 18:33

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 18:22
[OT] BTW, speed limits in the UK are in mph and not kph. Still, I know what point was intended there. [/OT]
Damn, I should have gone with Canada XD

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 19:55

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 01:35
This thread caused me to install X2, which I have had in my library for years but never played. Maybe I'll give it a go while waiting for X4.
It's funny you mentioned it. I did it as well, and enjoying the main campaign, even though graphics make me cringe a bit, even though I am playing it on upscaled 4K. I am kind of a bit disappointed that X4 won't have a campaign, it was always a part of X games and is a step away from the well established tradition. I know there will be e "plot"' but those are just chain of missions...
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 15. Oct 18, 20:29

reanor wrote:
Mon, 15. Oct 18, 19:55
Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 01:35
This thread caused me to install X2, which I have had in my library for years but never played. Maybe I'll give it a go while waiting for X4.
It's funny you mentioned it. I did it as well, and enjoying the main campaign, even though graphics make me cringe a bit, even though I am playing it on upscaled 4K. I am kind of a bit disappointed that X4 won't have a campaign, it was always a part of X games and is a step away from the well established tradition. I know there will be e "plot"' but those are just chain of missions...
If Egosoft is crafty enough as usual, they can simply hide the lore behind the ingame Encyclopedia.

Return to “X4: Foundations”