Ship IDs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Ship IDs

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 07:20

I have another question: How will ship ID codes work? In X3AP, it started with the race, ship class, then a hyphen followed by a random letter and numbers. That would help us better identify the ship without diving into menus. The ones I have seen in X4 seem to not make much sense.

Here's an example, from the Drill. It starts off with an A for Argon, but then takes a trans-orbital accelerator ride to places unknown, and I'm confused. How can I tell the class from the new ID code format?

[ external image ]
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Ship IDs

Post by CBJ » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 09:29

The letters and numbers in the ID codes in X4 have no particular meaning. We did consider the X3 system of a prefix and/or letter codes having meanings, but for a variety of reasons that turned out to be problematic.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 10:18

Is there an option to hide these IDs? Since the IDs carry no useful information, once I own a couple of ships they just turn to clutter. I might remember what AAJ-477 was and what it's task was for the first couple of ships, but this wont work for 100+ ships. At least not for me.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 10:44

No, there isn't an option to turn them off. Remember that they also apply to NPC ships, so if there are 4 ships of the same type flying around and you're trying to find one of them for a mission, it's quite important to be able to know you have the right one. They are sufficiently varied that you shouldn't need to remember the whole code to identify a ship you're looking for; just part of it should normally be enough.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:25

Maybe I'm the oddball in that case. But I didn't use the IDs in previous X games for anything. Mission targets were marked anyway. My own assets had their own ID system which not only helped to identify them but also (just as an example) told me how to set up the replacement when the "ship destroyed" message arrived.

I guess I just have to live with it.

Blower68
x4

Post by Blower68 » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:33

As far as I remember, those IDs are now shown correctly on the ships hull (not static paints but real ID number). That lead me to the question: Are we able to change those IDs on our own ships?

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:37

I asked that a while ago and (unless my memory tricks me) the answer was no.

Edit: It tricked me indeed. The thread derailed quickly and there was no definitive answer at the end.
Last edited by Crimsonraziel on Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:45, edited 2 times in total.

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:39

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 10:44
No, there isn't an option to turn them off. Remember that they also apply to NPC ships, so if there are 4 ships of the same type flying around and you're trying to find one of them for a mission, it's quite important to be able to know you have the right one. They are sufficiently varied that you shouldn't need to remember the whole code to identify a ship you're looking for; just part of it should normally be enough.
I was thinking about that, is there an option like in the older games to label/name our ships? Might get a little problematic to remember IDs when you end up with a few hundred of em.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:46

i would assume you can rename them
Use the old method of assigning letters and numbers to the ship type and job.

so example, Drill (M-X1-O)
Miner - Sector X1 - Gathering Ore

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:53

In X3 I didnt allways know the names of each ship to say was in what class. There were far too many ships to remember and I'd only seen half of them in my game. So I would know to stay away from a bunch of M3 ships when I was in my M4 becuase they had they were labled as such so I could pick my fights. And I knew what they were armed with comparing a TS to a TM to a M6. Yes I know that the M designation system got messed up when they added M6,7,8 classes of ships to the game but they should at label Trade ships and TS and Scouters as S, rather than all ships, trade, combat, and scout to be listed as S if they are just smaller in size.
Just... another... bug.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:55

PabloRSA wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:46

I'm pretty sure the part in brackets is not part of the ship name itself for a couple of reasons. Also if you could edit that part you could also just remove it from the ship name and I believe CBJ would have pointed that out in his answer to my question.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:56

Looks to me like the ship name is Drill and the ID in brackets is separate. I would assume that you can change the name part but not the ID.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

jamesdehunter
x4

Post by jamesdehunter » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 12:43

I'm happy with that, I always name my ships with certain tags to help me see at a glance who what and where.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 14:39

Crimsonraziel wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:55
PabloRSA wrote:

I'm pretty sure the part in brackets is not part of the ship name itself for a couple of reasons. Also if you could edit that part you could also just remove it from the ship name and I believe CBJ would have pointed that out in his answer to my question.
CBJ Pointed out that this if for race ships, did not mention player ships.. Indeed race ships need it for missions to identify them if there is no target triangle or arrows pointing to the mission ship and there is more than 1 on the map how would you know which ship without an ID.
But as player ships wont be part of the missions and may have unique names, this should be free for the player to change at will.

edit:
Then again, after thinking about it, if you get your ship is under attack and have drill and same id then it will be hard to tell so maybe the ship ID wont be able to change for user which is a shame, unless they make it changable but must be unique
Maybe M-X1-O-001 , M-X1-O-002

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 17:26

PabloRSA wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 14:39
Crimsonraziel wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:55
PabloRSA wrote:

CBJ Pointed out that this if for race ships, did not mention player ships.. Indeed race ships need it for missions to identify them if there is no target triangle or arrows pointing to the mission ship and there is more than 1 on the map how would you know which ship without an ID.
But as player ships wont be part of the missions and may have unique names, this should be free for the player to change at will.

edit:
Then again, after thinking about it, if you get your ship is under attack and have drill and same id then it will be hard to tell so maybe the ship ID wont be able to change for user which is a shame, unless they make it changable but must be unique
Maybe M-X1-O-001 , M-X1-O-002
First of all if any of my ships was under attack it used to blink red in every interface. I didn't even have to look for its name to find the right one.
Second, you couldn't change the IDs in previous X games and CBJ didn't say anything about it being possible this time. What is your reason to believe otherwise?

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 20:15

Ok, so it's pretty much like a license plate. Bummer. While I did like the X3 system (as it allowed me, playing an X game for the first time), to learn the ship classes, it wouldn't make much sense in the new system. While you may not be able to tell an M4 from an M3 at a distance, the difference between an M and L ship are quite apparent.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:24

Is there anyway to change your ship ID? So say instead of saying AG098B on the side of the ship, you have it say "The Saucy Mare" or perhaps "The Manatee"

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:07

BlackDog wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:24
Is there anyway to change your ship ID? So say instead of saying AG098B on the side of the ship, you have it say "The Saucy Mare" or perhaps "The Manatee"
So far there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer on that. We do know for sure (CBJ mentioned earlier in this thread) that you can NOT turn them off though.
My only guess is that you can change the NAME of your ships but not that unique, licence plate-like number.
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:02

Awww, well if its not in vanilla, we can all be sure that someone will eventualy mod it in

Id much rather my ship have this on the side of the hull

Than 2JZ-GTE.

Space cookie for anyone who can spot the ship reference above.

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 23:07

A EvE Online Machinema

Incidently...
"HOW MUCH?!?"

Return to “X4: Foundations”