Ship IDs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Re: Ship IDs

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 20:15

Ok, so it's pretty much like a license plate. Bummer. While I did like the X3 system (as it allowed me, playing an X game for the first time), to learn the ship classes, it wouldn't make much sense in the new system. While you may not be able to tell an M4 from an M3 at a distance, the difference between an M and L ship are quite apparent.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:24

Is there anyway to change your ship ID? So say instead of saying AG098B on the side of the ship, you have it say "The Saucy Mare" or perhaps "The Manatee"

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:07

BlackDog wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:24
Is there anyway to change your ship ID? So say instead of saying AG098B on the side of the ship, you have it say "The Saucy Mare" or perhaps "The Manatee"
So far there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer on that. We do know for sure (CBJ mentioned earlier in this thread) that you can NOT turn them off though.
My only guess is that you can change the NAME of your ships but not that unique, licence plate-like number.
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:02

Awww, well if its not in vanilla, we can all be sure that someone will eventualy mod it in

Id much rather my ship have this on the side of the hull

Than 2JZ-GTE.

Space cookie for anyone who can spot the ship reference above.

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 23:07

A EvE Online Machinema

Incidently...
"HOW MUCH?!?"

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 23:34

A word once given:

Have your space cookie
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v9IoP5ls4nI/T ... cookie.jpg

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 04:01

BlackDog wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 23:24
no. ID is constant. I hope name can be changed (it was possible in all previous games since X2). Only ID as decal was shown. No name.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 13:13

I suspect (but do not know) that a unique ID number could be used in mission targeting code and briefings (as missions should be targeting existing ships rather than spawning new targets). It can then be used to confirm the mission target guidance and maybe even be a visual confirmation when in close range if the ID decals are visible when it is more a 'search for a ship posing as neutral' type of scenario and so without specific target guidance. That could be one type of reason to not allow ID changes, in my opinion.

Having said all of that, CBJ did make the statement below in post 2 of this thread (although it does not rule out any in-game *use* of the IDs).

"The letters and numbers in the ID codes in X4 have no particular meaning. We did consider the X3 system of a prefix and/or letter codes having meanings, but for a variety of reasons that turned out to be problematic."
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:35

Maybe they can just add a button toggle on the UI to show/hide the rng IDs. Would be the simplest approach, but likewise we can just choose to ignore them :)
Admiral of the Fleet.

Return to “X4: Foundations”