How does one walk into Capship? Spacewalk?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

How does one walk into Capship? Spacewalk?

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 09:19

We know that S and M-size ships use platforms and hangars, but how do we get into docked capships like carriers?
Is there is some kind plaftorm like room on the shipyard/dock scaffold that connect to capship interior?

Also speaking about spacewalk - to enter the ship do we just have to go close to the hull and Shift+E, or do we actually have to find the enternace hatch or the door that we use on platforms?

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Re: How does one walk into Capship? Spacewalk?

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 10:25

This is something I am curious about as well. Do we just bork inside the capital ship, to save time from running across the platform?

Or, keeping in line with the theme of tactical choices by removing the jumpdrive, do we fly onto the pad, and go through it normally, even in the midst of battle? This second option would keep more realism (yeah, that gets thrown around a lot), and show that it's not good to spacewalk from a capital ship during a battle. Once you've committed your capital ship to the battle, you're along for the ride.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 10:41

IMO,
I'd love some kind of long docking clamp transparent corridor going into the capship, so I could "feel" the size (M-size seems already huge comparing to pilot model).

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 11:18

The connection from shipyard would also require vast amount of space to get to dry dock itself. Doesn't sound coherent with their design directions so far.

So the most coherent version I can think of is:

1) you can't go on ship under construction at all. It will be built in the dry dock rings same as the station is built, like "transparent", slowly emerging
2) once it leaves shipyard you can dock on it
3) carrier "docked" at stations will just stop near station, either visually connected (if there is X/XL docking platform module available to build) or not (like Rebirth's drone convoy "docking" or some sort of "loading bay" module)
4) while "docked" (either way) you can and need still land on them directly

I would not expect any way to walk between carrier and station. You need to do as they said:
1) either walk to you personal transporter (S/M) at station. Undock. Dock on carrier. Walk to the bridge.
2) or walk into teleport platform on station or personal transporter and teleport to bridge teleport platform directly

If you really need to create expectations I would not expect anything else then this.

Blower68
x4

Post by Blower68 » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 11:50

Alci wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 11:18
I would not expect any way to walk between carrier and station. You need to do as they said:
1) either walk to you personal transporter (S/M) at station. Undock. Dock on carrier. Walk to the bridge.
2) or walk into teleport platform on station or personal transporter and teleport to bridge teleport platform directly
Could be valid... remembering Starship Enterprise, they used to be either using a teleporter or a small transport ship.

PowerPC603
xr

Post by PowerPC603 » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 12:05

It was already explained that the teleporter will be used to transport you aboard, otherwise you had to walk a few hundred meters through the capship to get from the docking port to the bridge.
This would mean they would have to create a huge interior design for every capship just to move the player from the docking port to the bridge, while they wanted to minimize walking unless absolutely neccessary.
And since the teleporter is in the game, this was the logical choice.
GamePC: 64bit Quad-core i5-3450 @ 3.1GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia GeForce RTX2070 8GB, 22" LG Full-HD LED-monitor, Windows 7 Home 64bit

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 12:32

Yep. You guys are overthinking it. You just enter a teleport room and choose the capship's bridge as destination.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 12:53

Yup, I have a feeling the teleporter will be the easiest solution.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 13:42

more convenient for sure, but it would not follow the "seamless" way they've described. Connection between capital dock and bridge will be there.

The only thing most likely not there is station - capital walking corridor which I understood was the OP case.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:35

Alci wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 13:42
more convenient for sure, but it would not follow the "seamless" way they've described. Connection between capital dock and bridge will be there.

The only thing most likely not there is station - capital walking corridor which I understood was the OP case.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but not even the Osprey, a single M ship has its bridge connected to its boarding ramp by corridors.

The seamless thing you describe means that you won't notice in the transporter room that you were transported there.

jamesdehunter
x4

Post by jamesdehunter » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:53

repatomonor wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:35
Alci wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 13:42

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not even the Osprey, a single M ship has its bridge connected to its boarding ramp by corridors.

The seamless thing you describe means that you won't notice in the transporter room that you were transported there.
Yeah I always took seamless to mean no loading or hard cut.

So you go in the teleporter, select your destination, it makes some sort of awesome teleport sound and you step out in the new location.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 18:05

By that definition, traversing the gates is also not seamless, becasue there is a hard cut.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:30

jamesdehunter wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:53
So you go in the teleporter, select your destination, it makes some sort of awesome teleport sound and you step out in the new location.
then listen very carefully to this again

https://youtu.be/N6s9sXjqCME?t=70

what you describe is neither challenging nor something to be proud of (and they made it sound like they are, rightfully if it works as I described).

Also why would you land on carrier at first place if you wanted to use teleport. You would use that from the station. Which is how it will be massively used yes, just not the only way.

I'm ok with either version. But I've always preferred the long way and don't like teleports, fast travels and such. I still rather use horse or anything like that, where possible.

jamesdehunter
x4

Post by jamesdehunter » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:45

Alci wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:30
jamesdehunter wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 16:53
then listen very carefully to this again

https://youtu.be/N6s9sXjqCME?t=70

what you describe is neither challenging nor something to be proud of (and they made it sound like they are, rightfully if it works as I described).

Also why would you land on carrier at first place if you wanted to use teleport. You would use that from the station. Which is how it will be massively used yes, just not the only way.

I'm ok with either version. But I've always preferred the long way and don't like teleports, fast travels and such. I still rather use horse or anything like that, where possible.
Maybe in the description given in the video they are simply omitting the fact that you walk to the teleporter in order to "walk to the bridge"? We will know on release either way :)

Also isn't the teleporter something that you research and upgrade as you play the game?

If so then we can assume that the basic version we start with will not let us do much.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:51

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 18:05
By that definition, traversing the gates is also not seamless, becasue there is a hard cut.
if there is (loading) tunnel, it's not seamless.

They are mentioning seamless about X4 gates explicitly as well so I have no idea what that means. Old X games are not.

For example Boundless has seamless gates (even with "preview" which is cute, but unnecessary).

But it might not really be a problem now. The zones as I remember are gone. The map is huge and "infinite" already. Especially if there is all the seamless ability to walk of your ship and go inside without loading they were already needed to solve stream loading (for which the price will be temporary stuttering and texture popping if not handled perfectly, especially on all those "beast machines" with expensive i7 and SLI Ti GPUs but connected in the way they only run on 4x PCIe).

And with that you can just fly through the gate, without loading immediately emerge on the other side. I don't know this, I'm curious what that mention of theirs truly meant but I don't see any hard obstacles to gate working seamless with what we saw. So maybe they did it. A flash that changes one picture for another. On the video it's visible, however is conveniently cut so I guess it didn't worked well when they made the video, or good enough for the few-secs-per-feature video.

Teleport is the only things that need a "loading time" by nature as you are transported to complex environment without warning. But gates are in space-space, there is actually very little change in anything that could be potentially prepared when you are closing the gate if they are insane enough to mess with extra buffer.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 20:05

jamesdehunter wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:45
Maybe in the description given in the video they are simply omitting the fact that you walk to the teleporter in order to "walk to the bridge"? We will know on release either way :)
most likely you will go through the "air lock" room, yes, bridge room is door closed, no problem with that, still falls under seamless definition to me (as do "loading" elevators and such), just no "land - use ship teleport - select target - wzhuuum effect - enter the bridge" as you've described or cutscenes (like X3 gate travelling) :)

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 20:34

Alci wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 20:05
jamesdehunter wrote:
Sat, 13. Oct 18, 19:45
most likely you will go through the "air lock" room, yes, bridge room is door closed, no problem with that, still falls under seamless definition to me (as do "loading" elevators and such), just no "land - use ship teleport - select target - wzhuuum effect - enter the bridge" as you've described or cutscenes (like X3 gate travelling) :)
We get what you are saying, and it would be entirely possible to do it with the game's engine. However, Egosoft reasoned that they will place teleporter rooms where it would take too long to get to the destination.

Imagine, there's a 2 kilometres long ship, like the Argon Colossus. You land at the very front, and then want to get to the bridge. That would probably take minutes, and would be inconvenient.
Same thing for the Teladi Ospray. Being an M-class ship, it can land on platforms, have a boarding ramp under its belly. But the cockpit is just about at its top. It would take lots of stair turns for you to get to the cockpit.

A teleporter room disguised as an elevator is much better for these ships.

So going by this line of thought and the fact that this system is in the game and works flawlessly, it would be a bad decision not to utilize this system for cap ship docking. Especially if you create an animated extending ramp for the docking capship only so you are met with a transporter room after 3 minutes of walking towards the docked capship.

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Sat, 13. Oct 18, 23:54

By the way, in X Rebirth you flew through a gate and were instantly on the other side, so it was seamless. Same engine, so wouldn't be surprised if that was also the case here.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 14. Oct 18, 00:45

My preferred method would be a physical boarding corridor to extend from a station and onto the capital ship, where the player enters the on one end of the corridor and it fades-to-black and the player appears on the other end. It'd give the feeling of walking directly from station to ship, without the tedium of actually doing so. Teleportation would still be an option, of course.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 14. Oct 18, 01:04

I don't think the capship piers are going to be walkable locations, and in any case i'm not sure the capships will physically dock. Docking in XR generally involved coming in very close to the goods transfer port and then exchanging drones.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Return to “X4: Foundations”