Will the hireable Pilots have "personality"?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jamesdehunter
x4

Re: Will the hireable Pilots have "personality"?

Post by jamesdehunter » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 18:42

Whenever the game throws that line at me my wife looks at me and says "are you playing your space prostitution game again?"

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:28

NPCs never had personalities in X games, I don't see them having any in X4 and yeah, that's a lot of extra time for voice recording and money, but that fluff adds life to games, unfortunately we won't see much of that in X4. I do hope that EGO will at least reuse existing VOs from previous X games. Considering how much they already recorded, they have enough to VO quite a few NPCs in X4. I really hope that as far as sentient beings in game, they won't be just some deaf and mute drones, but EGO used some creativity and previous game resources to bring some fluff and atmosphere into X4.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 07:43

I used to be a bounty hunter like you. Then I got a lazer blast to the knee.
Just... another... bug.

Drakuel
x4

Post by Drakuel » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:54

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 17:21
Xenon_Slayer does a frantic search for particular voice lines in X4 codebase

Code: Select all

Find all "I do mean ... anything!", Subfolders, Find Results 2, Entire Solution, "*.*"
  Matching lines: 0    Matching files: 0 
I think all dev answers should be RP'd referencing, game code...

To the OP, I'd prefer dev time and resources be used improving upon a series, keep what works well and add more things to it, so the 3rd and now 4th iteration has the depth, people on first title dreamed about, but maybe cause of time or tech was not achievable on first or previous title..

What saddens me, is when great iconic series get changed on things that needed no change, thus hurting the series and setting it back instead of getting stronger..

We see this alot in great games unfortunatly. Now implementing, a new thing to try out, I think needs to be done in small increments, and the main development should always be enhancing the successful mechanics that made the series successful to allow additional titles to be made in the first place...

SimB
x4

Post by SimB » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 09:59

Drakuel wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:54
Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 17:21
Xenon_Slayer does a frantic search for particular voice lines in X4 codebase

Code: Select all

Find all "I do mean ... anything!", Subfolders, Find Results 2, Entire Solution, "*.*"
  Matching lines: 0    Matching files: 0 
I think all dev answers should be RP'd referencing, game code...

To the OP, I'd prefer dev time and resources be used improving upon a series, keep what works well and add more things to it, so the 3rd and now 4th iteration has the depth, people on first title dreamed about, but maybe cause of time or tech was not achievable on first or previous title..

What saddens me, is when great iconic series get changed on things that needed no change, thus hurting the series and setting it back instead of getting stronger..

We see this alot in great games unfortunatly. Now implementing, a new thing to try out, I think needs to be done in small increments, and the main development should always be enhancing the successful mechanics that made the series successful to allow additional titles to be made in the first place...
I understand where you are coming from.
I also would be totally OK, if this game is just a better version of X3.

If I have the time in 2019 I will have a look @ modding and maybe find a team to bring in 2 or 3 pilots with backstorys / banter / etc. for those that like it too.

Return to “X4: Foundations”