Will the hireable Pilots have "personality"?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SimB
x4

Will the hireable Pilots have "personality"?

Post by SimB » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 09:15

Since we have not seen any of the NPCs banter yet I would like to know, how they are and if they have any "personality" / "character" at all.

Or are they just 3D Models with little to no banter?

Will all hireable NPCs have the same dialog?

LameFox
x4

Re: Will the hireable Pilots have "personality"?

Post by LameFox » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 10:40

In this style of game it would be very hard to not have them become repetitive I think. Players just spend too much time in it and interact with too many NPCs to do that without huge effort, and I suspect they will get around this by making them just draw no more attention to themselves than necessary.
***modified***

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 14:48

I hope their "personality" won't include stupidly insulting their boss all the time or making sexually suggestive comments...

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 14:58

Meet Jerry (36), an abandoned child, living on streets since age 6, educated enough to complain, not educated enough to make any difference. His piloting career begun when the local mogul wanted to entertain his party guests by watching what a notorious drunkard can do in the small ship. Jerry crashed into the 2nd pier on his way out of docking platform causing injury to 5 docking crew and himself. During 2 years in the hospital he realized he wants to be a real pilot.

Free for hire

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 15:24

Alci wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 14:58
Meet Jerry (36), an abandoned child, living on streets since age 6, educated enough to complain, not educated enough to make any difference. His piloting career begun when the local mogul wanted to entertain his party guests by watching what a notorious drunkard can do in the small ship. Jerry crashed into the 2nd pier on his way out of docking platform causing injury to 5 docking crew and himself. During 2 years in the hospital he realized he wants to be a real pilot.

Free for hire
Lol :lol:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 15:34

Banter (usually fluff of no consequence for the gameplay) will always be a problem. The cost of using it to assist and maintain immersion is that you would need many alternative conversation texts to avoid too-obvious repetitions, all will need translations into the various languages, and all the voiced languages need several language-competent voice actors to provide each with a variety of voices and deliveries.

Suddenly that little bit of added immersion involves a lot of dev time and money for design, translation, testing, correction and voice acting.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 16:26

IMO, employee NPCs don't have to have deep personalities. They can be uncomplicated but still have a bit of characterization through them through their visual design and manner of speech. The latter is tricky, as you'll probably hearing the same set of responses from them... a lot. There needs to be a balance of being interesting/engaging/satisfying to listen to, but also not get on the player's nerves in the long run.

Old X games got by with good old sci-fi campiness, but it was hit-or-miss depending on the player. Writing concise, effective dialogue that doesn't go bad over time is difficult.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 18:02

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 14:48
I hope their "personality" won't include stupidly insulting their boss all the time or making sexually suggestive comments...
+1 - after just several hours of crew ferry I wanted to push all NPC out of airlock.
Thank God for "silence all" and "shut up" mods.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 18:52

SimB wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 09:15
Since we have not seen any of the NPCs banter yet I would like to know, how they are and if they have any "personality" / "character" at all.

This is a space-sim, not an rpg or The Sims... I'd prefer devs focusing on what matters instead of wasting time on wishful thinking that belongs in other gametypes.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

SimB
x4

Post by SimB » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 19:05

Dreez wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 18:52
SimB wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 09:15

This is a space-sim, not an rpg or The Sims... I'd prefer devs focusing on what matters instead of wasting time on wishful thinking that belongs in other gametypes.
I am not expecting Mass Effect here.

But it would be nice, if not all NPCs are bland cardboards...

Seanchaidh
x4

Post by Seanchaidh » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 19:08

Falcrack wrote:
This this this this this.

Probably my least favorite thing about Rebirth (mostly the latter).

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 16. Oct 18, 23:40

Seanchaidh wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 19:08
Falcrack wrote:
This this this this this.

Probably my least favorite thing about Rebirth (mostly the latter).
But... Show me your wares!

Anyway, I'm not expecting Star Trek - Bridge Commander level of interaction, but it would be nice if they weren't so robust.

For example, the co-pilot seat in Rebirth, Yisha's role. Man, that was a huge let down. I basically expected the following things from her:
-She would give me directions, basic verbal assistance, or at least announce incoming dangers or whatnot
-She would be able to pilot the Skunk when I'm controlling the drones
-She would be able to manage my fleet when I'm piloting
-She would be at least interactable

What we got instead is a verbal plot machine, and Shut up, Betty. I mean, I remember an older game, Darkstar One. It had the same type of annoying female co-pilot with womanly curves modelled right - but at least she filled her verbal role right and did the first thing I listed up there WHILE being a plot machine.

As for sexual innuendo, I'm not against. Not pro with it either. I'm just completely neutral with it as long as they have standard Terracorp pilot uniforms.

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 00:11

repatomonor wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 23:40
as long as they have standard Terracorp pilot uniforms.
That boob window was a poor design choice (and I think a late addition, IIRC pre-launch videos didn't have it).

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 00:19

fcth wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 00:11
repatomonor wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 23:40
as long as they have standard Terracorp pilot uniforms.
That boob window was a poor design choice (and I think a late addition, IIRC pre-launch videos didn't have it).
Standard Terracorp uniforms are more revealing though. Yisha had some PMC knock-off, hence the boob window.

fcth
x4

Post by fcth » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 03:40

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 17. Oct 18, 00:19
Standard Terracorp uniforms are more revealing though.[/url] Yisha had some PMC knock-off, hence the boob window.
Hmm, true enough...

CorruptUser
x4

Post by CorruptUser » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 04:45

I doubt there will be personality to the pilots. Too much to program before it gets repetitive. Even Fallout 4, with its massive 110,000 recorded lines in just the base game, wasn't able to avoid making NPCs repetitive.
I must defend my honor!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 07:41

I have heard a rumour that the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation were going to supply their "genuine people personalities" but then I also heard another rumour that they had ceased trading after the revolution.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 13:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 16. Oct 18, 18:02
Falcrack wrote:
+1 - after just several hours of crew ferry I wanted to push all NPC out of airlock.
Thank God for "silence all" and "shut up" mods.
I've wanted to walk out the airlock myself at times.
I'm just glad they're not paid a wage for all the insults, complaining and "I'm an NPC I can do it better" attitude That I have to put up with.

-- Ormac

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 17:00

Yeah, the number of randos that would *aggressively* flirt with Ren Otani really contrasted with how often his employees would complain about his ship being a complete disaster.

Made me imagine him as some kind of obliviously handsome Axe-wearing dudebro with a dorm-room-pigsty of a spaceship. :roll:
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 17:21

Xenon_Slayer does a frantic search for particular voice lines in X4 codebase

Code: Select all

Find all "I do mean ... anything!", Subfolders, Find Results 2, Entire Solution, "*.*"
  Matching lines: 0    Matching files: 0 
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Return to “X4: Foundations”