A Bit of Gameplay for Your Viewing Pleasure

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

A Bit of Gameplay for Your Viewing Pleasure

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 02:34

Here's some gameplay I found on YouTube. Feel free to discuss and dissect it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV6VBJiLMJ4

Something interesting I noticed: visible targeting reticules in the third person camera!
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Combat Wombat
x4

Re: A Bit of Gameplay for Your Viewing Pleasure

Post by Combat Wombat » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 03:13

Good find!
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 03:30

That there ladies and gents, is a very large set of guns on that station at 3:42, the kind that deploy and vaporise me and my tiny pirate ship because I got to big for my britches and thought "Yea, i can take this place"
https://i.gyazo.com/5b0f43ccd946160dbc9 ... 6c1ce0.png

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 03:39

Look at how smooth the maneuvering is when he weaves around the station...
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 03:48

Looks like something I saw for SC.
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 04:36

Yeah that.. really looks and sounds nice in motion. Would love to see more of just stuff like this before release if it's possible We don't get to see the feel of it in the short clips in trailers with overdubbing.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 04:42

Initialising? Was he playing hide and seek with someone? Also highways are still there, ...there will be cries... , I personally enjoyed them in XR, but that's just me, I know majority of Xfans hated them.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 04:59

wrmiller wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 03:48
Looks like something I saw for SC.
Except fidelity of X4 is 0.2 comparing to SC's 10.. On my scale of things, BUT.. I played all X games and really waiting with a big anticipation for X4, already got my CE pre-ordered, now I need to find a cheap crio-chamber. :rant:

Also, when he shot at the station, the station guy in the bottom right corner, those videos are from XR, if I am not mistaken. Looks like X4 is reusing some XR data.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

brevi
x4

Post by brevi » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:08

I'm always excited to see new game play but now I'm bummed that the info screen doubles as a vid-com (one of the biggest flaws in XR Imo). Fingers crossed that that was early footage.

Ego, I'm buying this day one anyway but I'm really hoping you'll get over your minimalist-cockpit-HUD-syndrome soon.

Everything else looks amazing, thanks.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:12

I didn't see any interaction menus, that is my biggest 'fear' that they will use those same tiny interaction menus as they did in all previous X games, starting with X3. The menus that come up when you interact directly with an NPC, or inside the Skunk. I hate those tiny ugly menus... The main side menu was OK in XR though.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:16

Not really a big fan of station scanning from X Rebirth, especially if the scanning requires you to get right up close to it. I hated the need to fly super close to all the modules of a station in order to unlock stuff, I would be bummed if that was in X4.

Combat Wombat
x4

Post by Combat Wombat » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:24

reanor wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 04:59
Also, when he shot at the station, the station guy in the bottom right corner, those videos are from XR, if I am not mistaken. Looks like X4 is reusing some XR data.
Look at how much TC and AP reused from Reunion. This is how Egosoft does things, all the games built on the same engine will reuse as much as they can.

Heck even X3 reused some things from X2 like a ton of audio and the talking character images. They aren't big on reinventing the wheel every game.
You can give a man fire and he will be warm for a day, but set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 07:04

Combat Wombat wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:24
reanor wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 04:59
Look at how much TC and AP reused from Reunion. This is how Egosoft does things, all the games built on the same engine will reuse as much as they can.

Heck even X3 reused some things from X2 like a ton of audio and the talking character images. They aren't big on reinventing the wheel every game.
I agree, and it's not just Egosoft. Bethesda rode the Gamebryo Engine for a decade. You can make a drinking game of "Spot the Reused Asset" across Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Personally, I don't mind the vid-com/info screen thing. Although, yes, it tends to cut off any valuable information with someone haranguing you about scuffing the paint on their station, but such is the nature of the beast. I find it easier than in X3, where I had to look in the upper right and squint to see who was talking, as well as glance back to see where I was flying.

Reusing assets isn't such a big deal, as it saved development time. The only time it's a problem is when it's visibly egregious. If there are 10 ships with the same physical model, yet each with a different coat of paint, all being passed off as "different ships," then it's a problem.

WildDoktor
x3ap

Post by WildDoktor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 07:56

I will repeat my mantra: Please make this a multi-monitor capable game!

With "un-dockable" and re-sizable windows (exactly like Microsoft Flight Simulator), those interaction menus, video conferencing screens, and (especially) the map could all be on separate monitors, with main gameplay on it's own monitor.

I have a PC with 4x 27" monitors (three across, and a 4th suspended above the middle one...for the overhead panel of the 747, of course!), and use them all for Flight Sim; all the X games would benefit from this capability.
Vayde sez: "Hi WildDoktor; I've checked your save and the Mammoth is the least of your problems."

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 10:08

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 05:16
Not really a big fan of station scanning from X Rebirth, especially if the scanning requires you to get right up close to it. I hated the need to fly super close to all the modules of a station in order to unlock stuff, I would be bummed if that was in X4.
Seems we are back to scanning "I". Very engaging gameplay and fun - not!

Now add a lot of minigames (as far as I know we still haven´t a clear answer from Egosoft to this) and X4 is the next X-Game that is not for me.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 10:24

Station scanning would be OK if it were automatable, don't mind adding a distinction between just looking at a sector and thoroughly mapping it out. But it's something you probably want to use other ships to do rather than doing it all yourself.

Though I admit I'm not super sure what the point of it is otherwise.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 10:33

Gnorog wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 10:08
Falcrack wrote:
Seems we are back to scanning "I". Very engaging gameplay and fun - not!
this was said: scan gameplay has changed. It's not 100% decided yet, but we do not have this whole gameplay with flying from info point to info point to collect information for a station. There is still information collection and you will have to fly or you have an opportunity to fly over the surface of a station sometimes, but it is not necessary to do that all the time. It's a special thing usually done in missions only and it works differently, but more on that later.

Gnorog
x4

Post by Gnorog » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 11:59

Alci wrote:
Thu, 18. Oct 18, 10:33

this was said: scan gameplay has changed. It's not 100% decided yet, but we do not have this whole gameplay with flying from info point to info point to collect information for a station...
A lot of things weren't decided during the 2017 Q&A session.

If Egosoft really would like to get preorders it may be a good idea to update the Q&A.
At the moment the only bonuses are the paintmod (we have no idea what that is) and a discount (which is negligible compared to normal Steam-Sales). Without any further clarifications about the core gameplay, that for myself is not good enough.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 12:48

Falcrack wrote:
Imo, scanning wasn't the annoying part, but that you needed to scan a small floating icon (instead of the station module itself) that's either visible relative to you or not.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 18. Oct 18, 13:24

You didn't need to scan anything. Other than for specific plot missions, scanning was completely optional.

Return to “X4: Foundations”