Station Defences

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RodentofDoom
x4

Station Defences

Post by RodentofDoom » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 02:29

While it's really awesome that Stations are now going to be fully modular …

How will defending them be handled?
- Static automated defences as in XR
- Assigned Defence fleet as in X2-3

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Re: Station Defences

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 02:52

You could assign defense fleets to your stations in Rebirth as well. Can you clarify what distinction you're making?

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 03:27

I would say both. Tons of turrets if you can afford them. And fleets assigned to them. (Question is how hangars will be made, if station can have some sort of mass fighter hangar. Don't want to build extra 10x6 landing platforms just for basic defense :) )

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 03:31

Alci wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 03:27
I would say both. Tons of turrets if you can afford them. And fleets assigned to them. (Question is how hangars will be made, if station can have some sort of mass fighter hangar. Don't want to build extra 10x6 landing platforms just for basic defense :) )
If I remember correctly, they've said that docking platforms have a greater capacity than just the ships on the surface. The rest get "stored belowdecks," as it were. I think they realized that waiting for people to leave so you can dock was really boring in X3.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 03:31

Based on this snippit from an earlier gameplay video from this year, ohhh yea we can make some dread fortresses

https://i.gyazo.com/5b0f43ccd946160dbc9 ... 6c1ce0.png

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 04:47

Most likely there will be limited number of turret emplacements on certain station modules. I don't see that change much from XR and the armaments will be automatically included when you build modules...
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 06:09

I don't think modules automatically come with defense turrets. The announcement trailer has a clip of the player in the station building interface, showing different options for turret emplacements for a module.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 06:19

In before people make Borg cubes in 20 x 20 x 20 km in size with nothing but turrets lol

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 06:29

Kane Hart wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 06:19
In before people make Borg cubes in 20 x 20 x 20 km in size with nothing but turrets lol
I look forward to seeing it

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 06:53

LOL That would probably be my approach.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:21

2 words...

Earth Torus

Big ring of turrets around the structure

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:30

PabloRSA wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:21
2 words...

Earth Torus

Ring is just 2 dimensional.
Space at least 3...
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

jamesdehunter
x4

Post by jamesdehunter » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:35

I believe I recall Bernd saying in one of the streams that modules can have a loadout similar to the way your ship does and that you have a basic loadout that comes with each module but you can swap things out to customise.

I'm curious if this includes things other than weaponry, it would be nice to be able to put a shield on a critical module to help it survive an attack.

It would add a little strategy to the idea.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:40

LittleBird wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:30
PabloRSA wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 12:21
2 words...

Earth Torus

Ring is just 2 dimensional.
Space at least 3...
Turrets are "usually" 360 degree fire arc (Think X3 satellites visual on the map) so as long as the station is within the firing arc its safe
Being stationary guns i would assume they have longer range as well and cover more area..

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:43

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 02:52
Can you clarify what distinction you're making?
OK .. more elaborate difference distinction.

In x3 Stations had no static defences other than an embedded shield, ships could be home based and allocated to the station manager but thier effectiveness was marginal.

In XR stations had optional turrets, shields & drones that could be added to fortify an important asset or location
Ships could also be assigned to the station manager and if you didnt use the "galaxy range comms mod" they were reasonably effective in localised defence operations. Things got bad if you did use the comms range mod as your ships would literally slowboat accross the entire game universe to protect a tradeship that had already jumped away from danger.

I actually preferred the XR approach. Naked defenceless stations have always seemed both inappropriate and short sighted in a universe where there are belligerent & hostile enemies that have no interest in peace and/or trade

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:11

My only issue with the XR approach was that stations were badly balanced compared to ships. Their structure and basic loadout with the IHC guns pretty much made it so that when the player was in the zone in an animated battle a large fleet could die to a station 1/10 of the cost of the ships in the group. When you were out of the zone the background simulation only calculated hp and weapon numbers and the station lost to a much smaller task force.

This incentivized players to avoid going to important battles, which was probably an unintended consequence.

Seeing that X4 is directly built on XR and the station look very similar, we might get the dynamic world we were promised but would never see any action of it.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:22

RodentofDoom wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:43
OK .. more elaborate difference distinction.

In x3 Stations had no static defences other than an embedded shield, ships could be home based and allocated to the station manager but thier effectiveness was marginal.

In XR stations had optional turrets, shields & drones that could be added to fortify an important asset or location
Ships could also be assigned to the station manager and if you didnt use the "galaxy range comms mod" they were reasonably effective in localised defence operations. Things got bad if you did use the comms range mod as your ships would literally slowboat accross the entire game universe to protect a tradeship that had already jumped away from danger.

I actually preferred the XR approach. Naked defenceless stations have always seemed both inappropriate and short sighted in a universe where there are belligerent & hostile enemies that have no interest in peace and/or trade
From the bits of videos and images I've seen it seems like there will either be a) pre-determined turret configurations for each part in a station or b) specific parts that contain turret loadouts.

I'm hoping for option b) as it could allow a bit more customization when designing stations.
Check out my mod Crystal Rarities

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 03:49

I'm sure stations will have guns. I'm hoping they'll have defence ships like in x2.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Blower68
x4

Post by Blower68 » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 01:06

In the last video it was shown that the station will have turrets and that you can change those loadouts for different types. And since in X-R there was a defence officer on the stations which could manage defence ships, I'm pretty sure that this also will be again in the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations”