Localised damage

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poacher886
x4

Localised damage

Post by Poacher886 » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:42

Still not seen any localised damage on ships taking such, these details are important for immersion imho, we even had it in simple terms ion x3.

Player
x4

Re: Localised damage

Post by Player » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:47

I agree. It would be great if the "screenshot of the day" showed that.

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:53

Poacher886 wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:42
we even had it in simple terms ion x3.
We did?

atavistuk
x4

Post by atavistuk » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:54

News to me if we did. Ships in X3 were just a health bar. I think he means in X:Rebirth?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:56

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 30. Aug 17, 17:39
Other
  • will ships have some damage model? I mean visible hull or other parts damage?
    You can certainly damage certain elements of some ships. The other day I was wondering why I couldn't shoot, until I looked out of the window and saw that my guns were a glowing mass off charred metal!
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:42

Yes we did, you could see hulls open and cargo canisters inside on larger ships.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:42

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 19:56
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 30. Aug 17, 17:39
Other
  • will ships have some damage model? I mean visible hull or other parts damage?
    You can certainly damage certain elements of some ships. The other day I was wondering why I couldn't shoot, until I looked out of the window and saw that my guns were a glowing mass off charred metal!
Thanks...cool...That would be worth a screenshot

sd_jasper
x4

Post by sd_jasper » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:08

Poacher886 wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:42
Yes we did, you could see hulls open and cargo canisters inside on larger ships.
Do you have any screenshots of that? I'd love to see it. I have played hundreds of hours of X3 TC/AP and I've never noticed any ship damage.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:56

sd_jasper wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 21:08
Poacher886 wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 20:42
Do you have any screenshots of that? I'd love to see it. I have played hundreds of hours of X3 TC/AP and I've never noticed any ship damage.
Far as I ever saw in X3,TC, and AP, ships in those games never had big noticable hull damage outside of maybe some fire or smoke dotted around the hull before it exploded into nothing.

I to though would absolutely love to see screenshots of the damage model in action in X4

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:40

[OT] I think Poacher886 may be misremembering about X3 or may even be thinking of a totally different game. There was no dynamic hull damage modelling in vanilla X3 as clearly demonstrated by this thread. There were some temporary bullet and missile impact effects in X3 that were briefly superimposed over the target model when it was hit (PAC and IBL bullets particularly spring to mind along with several missile hit effects.).

I vaguely recall that a few plot ships were modelled with 'already damaged' hull textures, but these were static and not dynamic textures. There were also many pre-placed wreckage models scattered around the X3 universe.

Further, there was a rare glitch in X3 that a destroyed capital that had its destruction game-removal code critically interrupted by a save or something could leave a pristine graphic of the ship in space that was persistent but totally intangible. Great for screenshot opportunities as you could pose heroically by it or even fly other ships through and inside the false model and create apparently merged hybrids of two or more ships. No damage shown there. [/OT}
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:48

I will accept nothing less than this level of damage detail. :D

I would more legitimately be interested to see how *small* ship component damage will work - like, if fighters' components take damage when struck directly like Rebirth's big ships, or if it's more like X3 where RNGsus picks a module to destroy whenever you take enough damage.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:59

I do hope its more like XR, the damage system in that game is one of the things I do think it did better than any in the series

LittleBird

Post by LittleBird » Fri, 19. Oct 18, 23:05

Tenlar Scarflame wrote:
Fri, 19. Oct 18, 22:48
I will accept nothing less than this level of damage detail. :D
https://youtu.be/D4hDQ58Ws6Y?t=224 :D
This is art!

Honestly I don't care about damage visualization except for very large ships. There I would love it if you could seperate parts of it.
Ich bin für die Einführung von Ironie- und Sarkasmustags.
Alle Klarheiten beseitigt!

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 11:31

While it is neat, it isn't necessary. I'm sure a modder will add something like this, a texture or something.

I see this going two possible ways:

1. Homeworld: simple textures like scorch marks and glowing metal.

2. Rebel Galaxy: more complex damage with holes and visible framework.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Return to “X4: Foundations”