Q,X4 can you continue game with expansion?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Greenhorn
x3ap

Q,X4 can you continue game with expansion?

Post by Greenhorn » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 20:19

Just wondering when you have main game ,can you continue game with expansion? without starting game over. :? ,bye all .
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

A5PECT
x4

Re: Q,X4 can you continue game with expansion?

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 20:34

X4 is not an expansion. It is a standalone game.

You cannot continue a save game from X3 or XR; you have to start a new save game in X4.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 20:37

I think the OP was asking whether you can continue your base X4 game with the two expansions already announced.

Seeing that according to the release announcement the expansions "will bring more races, their ships, stations and lots of missions into the X4 Universe" it's likely that they will be managed like the X Rebirth extensions. Which would mean that you can continue your base game.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:36

I guess we might know when the expansion comes in 1yrs time?

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:39

Ah, my mistake.

For Rebirth, the expansions allowed you to keep your save games. Based on that, I assume expansions for X4 will not require you to restart your game.

Buy that's no guarantee. Things can change in the time before X4 DLC is officially announced.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:53

My guess is you can continue as well due to how XRB worked.

The X3 expansions we're a bit different since they we're all stand alones and had to be played by themselves.

Not 100% sure why they went that route but it is what it is.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 01:56

BlackDog wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:53
Because that's how DLCs are supposed to work nowadays?

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 02:24

repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 21. Oct 18, 01:56
BlackDog wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 23:53
Because that's how DLCs are supposed to work nowadays?
Not really?

Very few DLC types are actualy 100% standalone and dont combine with the basegame.

Arma 2 went that route for its expansions, which in itself was odd, though in Arma3 they went back to all expansions/DLC requireing the basegame to not split their community.

So its still kind of odd that X3 went the route for all its expansions being standalone and not meshing with the basegame.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 22:45

I never played AP because I didnt want to start all over again.
Just... another... bug.

Greenhorn
x3ap

Post by Greenhorn » Sun, 21. Oct 18, 23:39

Oh ,thanks all, and especially,X2-Illuminatus. . I posted because ,I didn't have (1) rebirth. I only had terran conflict ,and then albine prelue. >played for 1400 hours never looked back ,never went back to terran conflict ..Ok then ,take care all. :D
Running latest Steam X3: Albion Prelude .v 3.1 + bonus pack.favorite single music :Coldplay - Something just like this.Muse - Supermassive blackhole.Audiomachine - Sol Invictus,Cinematic.And finally, Florent Zunino - Foundation - Titles.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 10:54

BlackDog wrote:
Sun, 21. Oct 18, 02:24
So its still kind of odd that X3 went the route for all its expansions being standalone and not meshing with the basegame.
The reason for that was actually very simple: with the X3 engine there was a fairly restrictive limit to how much functionality we could add to the game for an "expansion" while still maintaining savegame compatibility, and quite a significant development overhead to maintaining that compatibility even within the scope of what was possible. Once we reached the point of having to decide between adding features and maintaining compatibility, the former usually won the argument.

With the new engine, while there are still limits and overheads of course, there are more options with regard to how expansions are handled.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 17:23

Fair point and well made.

I guess it also enabled the stories of those expansions to be started right away, instead of if it was a basegame expansion, where youd have to beat the maingame story, then the TC story, just to get to the AP story.

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 02:48

The BIG, no... the HUMONGOUS question here is, if those expansions will allow us to continue the game with the same powers we built during the year in X4, or those will simply be similar difficulty areas comparable to the vanilla game and instead of making us start completely new game to make it at all fun in a new expansion, it would allow us to continue the game with our developed character and the new missions in the expansions would be appropriate to what we've already accomplished.

In other words, speaking in terms of levels, which X games don't have - if I am level 100 by the time first Xpack comes out, I want to see level 100 content, so I can continue with my level 100 whatever and not start from scratch... well you get my point. Please don't tell me that there are no levels... that's not what I mean.

Like in X3 both expansions just add you a chance to have 2 new game starts and start them in those 2 new areas. I don't want that in X4 because it doesn't bring anything new to the game. It's the same missions as before, and same ships/environments just some different graphics on ships. I want the new expansions to be based on some big invasions or something where I can bring my fleet from vanilla X4 and continue the game, in other words, the expansions supposed to provide opportunities to CONTINUE the game, not start it from scratch again in a different looking area. It's just MHO of course. Maybe some people like to start the game 3 times in a row and do similar missions, etc.

This would be different though, if new expansions came out with their own separate campaigns, that's a different story. THen I'd love to go through campaigns even if I have to start from scratch. But since there won't be any campaigns, at least let us either continue with our developed character/empire, or make the expansions have a content that would justify starting the game from scratch again and investing several more hundreds of hours...
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

ishmaeltheforsaken
x4

Post by ishmaeltheforsaken » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 03:05

reanor wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 02:48
The BIG, no... the HUMONGOUS question here is, if those expansions will allow us to continue the game with the same powers we built during the year in X4, or those will simply be similar difficulty areas comparable to the vanilla game and instead of making us start completely new game to make it at all fun in a new expansion, it would allow us to continue the game with our developed character and the new missions in the expansions would be appropriate to what we've already accomplished.

In other words, speaking in terms of levels, which X games don't have - if I am level 100 by the time first Xpack comes out, I want to see level 100 content, so I can continue with my level 100 whatever and not start from scratch... well you get my point. Please don't tell me that there are no levels... that's not what I mean.

Like in X3 both expansions just add you a chance to have 2 new game starts and start them in those 2 new areas. I don't want that in X4 because it doesn't bring anything new to the game. It's the same missions as before, and same ships/environments just some different graphics on ships. I want the new expansions to be based on some big invasions or something where I can bring my fleet from vanilla X4 and continue the game, in other words, the expansions supposed to provide opportunities to CONTINUE the game, not start it from scratch again in a different looking area. It's just MHO of course. Maybe some people like to start the game 3 times in a row and do similar missions, etc.

This would be different though, if new expansions came out with their own separate campaigns, that's a different story. THen I'd love to go through campaigns even if I have to start from scratch. But since there won't be any campaigns, at least let us either continue with our developed character/empire, or make the expansions have a content that would justify starting the game from scratch again and investing several more hundreds of hours...
I'd say Home of Light is probably a good benchmark for what we can expect from X4's expansions. Home of Light itself already had a highly-developed economy with well-patrolled sectors, while Toride and Cold Star were more, to use your parlance, "high-level." It's likely that we'll see a similar mix as they add new races. It's important that those new races have some entrenched economy, but it's just as important to provide areas that we can build up ourselves.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 21:49

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 20. Oct 18, 20:37
I think the OP was asking whether you can continue your base X4 game with the two expansions already announced.

Seeing that according to the release announcement the expansions "will bring more races, their ships, stations and lots of missions into the X4 Universe" it's likely that they will be managed like the X Rebirth extensions. Which would mean that you can continue your base game.

So I take it, the Systems in X:Rebirth and it's DLC/Expansion HoL will be re-introduced into X4 via a late Expansion Pack?

Both Engines are totally different Beasts so seeing Rebirth's Systems Ported to X4's Engine will take allot of time I guess?
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Damocles_

Post by Damocles_ » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 22:17

The is also zone between continuing a saved game precisely where it ended, and starting a completely new game.
For example, an import option that allows to import the players assets (ships, stations, status), and spawning them anew into the new and changed gameworld.

The old trade-lanes and station positions might be gone, but not all the progress is lost then.

It has the advantage is that the extended game can add new/changed mechanics and content without requiring to handle every conflict between old and new versions.

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Tue, 23. Oct 18, 22:28

spankahontis wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 21:49
So I take it, the Systems in X:Rebirth and it's DLC/Expansion HoL will be re-introduced into X4 via a late Expansion Pack?

Both Engines are totally different Beasts so seeing Rebirth's Systems Ported to X4's Engine will take allot of time I guess?
I don't get it. Where does that follow from? Up until now the whole discussion was about the technical implementation. No one said anything about contents!? The engine of X4 is based on the one from XR. So why would porting the systems be a lot of work? If they would like to have the X Rebirth systems in X4, why not include them from the start? Thus takle one of the points of criticism about having a too small universe. Also if they were about to do that, how would they manage to not continue the story from XR as it has been mentioned in the Q&As?
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 01:25

ishmaeltheforsaken wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 03:05
reanor wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 02:48

I'd say Home of Light is probably a good benchmark for what we can expect from X4's expansions. Home of Light itself already had a highly-developed economy with well-patrolled sectors, while Toride and Cold Star were more, to use your parlance, "high-level." It's likely that we'll see a similar mix as they add new races. It's important that those new races have some entrenched economy, but it's just as important to provide areas that we can build up ourselves.
... build up ourselves further, not start from scratch. - There, I fixed it a bit ;).
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 01:28

The Q wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 22:28
spankahontis wrote:

I don't get it. Where does that follow from? Up until now the whole discussion was about the technical implementation. No one said anything about contents!? The engine of X4 is based on the one from XR. So why would porting the systems be a lot of work? If they would like to have the X Rebirth systems in X4, why not include them from the start? Thus takle one of the points of criticism about having a too small universe. Also if they were about to do that, how would they manage to not continue the story from XR as it has been mentioned in the Q&As?
Spankahontis is being sarcastic me thinks... In other words he is saying that XR systems will be butchered and put into Expansions, to charge us more money down the road... Or some sarcasm in that nature :gruebel: .

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 13. Nov 18, 19:03

reanor wrote:
Wed, 24. Oct 18, 01:28
The Q wrote:
Tue, 23. Oct 18, 22:28
spankahontis wrote:

Spankahontis is being sarcastic me thinks... In other words he is saying that XR systems will be butchered and put into Expansions, to charge us more money down the road... Or some sarcasm in that nature :gruebel: .
I'm saying that there's a difference between X4 and X:Rebirth, think about it..
In X:Rebirth all the Stations are Indestructible and Static where as X4, they are built by the Factions ai.
I think they said that there are Stations in X4 that can't be destroyed? But most are randomly generated/built by the Factions when they crunch the numbers and detect the shortage of a specific ware.
Also the way zones, sectors, systems are fleshed out in Rebirth's Engine, I don't think there are zones anymore in X4?

And I didn't say that they should sell them back to us.. You have 8 Systems already from X:Rebirth, again think about it, in every X Game from XBTF they kept the Systems/Sectors of previous X Games while adding new ones for their updated version of the game.
Albion Prelude had the Sectors of Terran Conflict, Reunion, X2, XBTF including new Sectors it added.
So why would X4 be any different to see Systems of Rebirth added in X4 or in later Expansion Packs? The way X3 Expansion Packs kept Sectors from previous titles?

Wasn't being sarcastic, but be good to see the Systems of Rebirth merge into X4 for even more territory to explore/conquer.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X4: Foundations”