Dual Screen

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Keith2018
x4

Dual Screen

Post by Keith2018 » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 03:34

Would love to be able to have sector map on second monitor.

shudragon
x4

Re: Dual Screen

Post by shudragon » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 07:35

Can't agree more. it would give a definite advantage and immersive feel to the player being able to see the sector map and cockpit/bridge view on seperate monitors. That was the one thing I desperately wanted support for x3, but it wasn't such prominent tech when that game came out.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 09:21

I very much agree with this also even if you don't own a 2nd monitor its the sort of feature that would make you go get one.

I think we also have to accept ES has done a lot of work to get X4 to where it is I hope multiscreen support (beyond the likes of Eyefinity) is moving up the to do list or an API to permit external apps to interact with the game.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 11:06

I think they said somewhere that this is not possible at the moment cause of the way the map overlays the main screen.

Of course this was the first thing people asked for a year ago when this was shown. So I find it highly possible it will be implemented later.

I give my support. :D

lplates
x4

Post by lplates » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 11:55

+1 it would be a nice addition for post release but not a priority for me.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 12:15

Instead of a fixed dual-screen map feature, it would be better if the menus worked in a windows-like fashion, so you could pin them and resize them. That way you could fit the map on your entire second screen, or just place it whereever while watching spacenetflix on the other screen.

Miniding
x4

Post by Miniding » Mon, 22. Oct 18, 18:28

It should be better if they let a way to access "shared memory" to map it with external Tools… Less to work for them (i think) and much to do for us!!
Miniding
X3 Reunion - X3 Terran Conflict - X3 Albion Prelude - X Rebirth - X4 CE...

Billynomates
x4

Post by Billynomates » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 03:59

This is a good question I just bought another monitor today so would be brilliant, but i doubt it will happen.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 15:09

CBJ answered this before I think it was him with a Not at this time.

That being said I really love to see some sort of ability to spawn new screens if possible or heck give us more access to the modding outside the game with live data. Maybe someone would be willing create a live map and such.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 15:13

I could totally see myself coordinating my fleets/trade empire while sitting at work bored when there are no customers.

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 15:26

It's definitely not supporting having different rendering on a 2nd monitor (like having the game on one and the map on another) nor is it supporting moving the map UI around on the screen like a Windows 'window'. This has been answered by the devs before.

This is partly the reason why I opted for my monitor upgrade being an Ultra Widescreen, instead of going multi monitor. I had these same issues with multi monitors years and years ago and it always caused headaches with gaming. Ultra-widescreen is lovely and supported by default by 99% of games, and with no bezels too it's definitely the way to go :D Not to mention it's great to watch movies on with no letterboxing.
Admiral of the Fleet.

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Mon, 29. Oct 18, 16:19

I could never and will never be able to get use to a ultra monitors vs my 3 24"'s

I only play in the center one I would love info on the other screens but I can just use netflix and such instead ;)

Novia Star
x3

Post by Novia Star » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 19:49

I'm just curious if there is a way to put the map or other interface in a second screen. Id be happy with just 1 extra monitor support. I got a new rig and was thinking about fun ways to to make this game a bit more manageable.
My Digital life is causing gliches !n My r3@L L!f3

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 16. Dec 20, 21:05

I've been thinking about this since X-btf.

I switched from dual screen to ultra-wide because I got sick of having the bezel in the middle (when it worked) or having a dead-screen randomly selected.
I would so opt for a 2nd screen.

But then with the mouse limited to the map-screen and the flight controlled by the joysticks.

Alternatively, have the map on a 2nd system (laptop in my case) and link it via the network.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 13:20

Did not read all the comment, but does this not need a second graphics card to work with? I have a GTX 960 and connected recently a second monitor to my gear at home, but the game does not see that second monitor, only in Windows, there I have my desktop spread out on.
So I figured that we need a second graphics card that actually supports the game's technical side and then being able to display a part of the game over more than one screen.... Or is the tech today much further ?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 13:22

The thread is two years old, so I'm not sure why it was dredged up rather than just starting a new discussion. Anyway, the answer remains the same for now; while we'd like to support multiple monitors and/or multiple windows, it's not at the top of our priority list.

And no, it has nothing to do with requiring multiple graphics cards. :)

Novia Star
x3

Post by Novia Star » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 12:35

My bad. I just got a new rig that can handle some hard work and was just asking on a searched keyword topic.

Thanks CJB.
My Digital life is causing gliches !n My r3@L L!f3

Return to “X4: Foundations”