A plea for VR (but not necessarily right now)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Techedge
x4

Re: A plea for VR (but not necessarily right now)

Post by Techedge » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 10:16

Axeface wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 02:14
But I know how to fly aircraft and I know that 99% of people should not be allowed to (automation and public transport is the future).
Allowing people to fly vehicles would mean "enforcing" Darwin's natural seletion :mrgreen:

smilinglyer
x3tc

Post by smilinglyer » Tue, 14. Jan 20, 21:16

This type of game is exactly what VR is for. I would buy the xrebirth VR version if I hadn't already played the original game so much as I almost did buy the VR version anyway but decided to hold off. The 3.0 update for X4 sounds amazing and I am waiting to buy until that update is officially out.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Tue, 14. Jan 20, 22:48

smilinglyer wrote:
Tue, 14. Jan 20, 21:16
This type of game is exactly what VR is for. I would buy the xrebirth VR version if I hadn't already played the original game so much as I almost did buy the VR version anyway but decided to hold off.
This is probably why they decided to not do it for X4. Obviously not you alone, but as a community, I bet many were in the same boat, played it too much to want to buy and play again.

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Fri, 17. Jan 20, 22:58

I bought a HMD and now all I want is to play X4 in VR. I have not played X4 ever since I got my headset. Play Vox Machinae instead. Miss X4, but VR has spoiled me rotten.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 17. Jan 20, 23:10

Have you tried head tracking without a fully enclosed HMD? I use edtracker (via Opentrack) and it needs to be implemented more in the game, but it's pretty cool when flying.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Reaves_42
x4

Post by Reaves_42 » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 18:28

I'm yet to play x4 due to this. Still playing XR VR.

Once you've played a flight or space Sim in VR there is no going back.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 18:52

Eliphal wrote:
Thu, 15. Nov 18, 09:26
So, the topic of VR, ~snip~
A bit off topic and its quite a bit of a different game type but have you and your dad tried No Man's Sky ?

After the Beyond update its VR compatible, multiplayer, and if your dad comes from the same era as me (60's child) he may well have a strong interest in both game types. Especially if your dad has played games since Commodore 64 days with the original Elite in wireframe 3d vector graphics, and has been a Sci-Fi enthusiast reading books from authors like Arthur C Clark or Robert Anston Heinlein, the Sci-Fi vibe in No Man's Sky is very nostalgic (I cant really explain this unless you were born at a similar time and have played the game for a while, but there are a lot of touches to the game, artistic theme, audio effects, lore etc which make the whole No Man's Sky experience a bit of a treat for us Sci-Fi veterans).

If you have heard bad things about the launch of the game and never revisited having a look at it, the game has developed way beyond the initial release now, and is a very good chill out game.

/offtopic

Edit : Forgot to mention - If you are both on PC, you both need to buy No Man's Sky from Steam, or GOG, but not both (the MultiPlayer servers are not cross-platform compatible). There are also far less multiplayers on GOG so for VR MultiPlayer, Steam would be the better option. Also No Man's Sky is quite demanding on machine Specifications, despite having a promulgated deceptively low minimum specification, those specifications were published before VR was a twinkling in Hellogames eyes. Even without VR the game specifications are a bit optimistic.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sat, 18. Jan 20, 23:03

linolafett wrote:
Tue, 26. Nov 19, 17:55
I think in the last stream it was said that a VR port was simply not financially feasible.
I wonder has someone from the desision makers at Egosoft though the idea of crowdfunding the project?
If the amount of work needed to make X4 VR is known, add some profit and since Egosoft would know how much it would cost, set it on a crowdfunding site and see if there is interest.
If there isn't interest, only the manhours needed to work out about the project cost. Otherwise might get funded and have the investment for the game to get VR.

Just a thought.

GWitch
x4

Post by GWitch » Sun, 19. Jan 20, 09:21

One thing about VR.
I'm in VR industry for some years (Civil engineering and architecture), and I try Vive, Vive PRO, Pimax... and try /play alot of Games and simulations (Elite, X3...) and from my expirience i can tell
that all that is awesome and really new life.
But U can't play really long, sure Voice Attack helps for commands, but u'r eyes are tired, neck hurts...
Final conclusion is that I really enjoy better on big 4K monitor (didn't try more monitor setup), and for shure TrackIR make new immersion to the Game.

Return to “X4: Foundations”