The ask me how to do something thread

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

The ask me how to do something thread

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:05

I know there is already a question and answer thread but this is specifically for those asking "me" how to do something. I don't want to go through that whole other thread so please only ask questions here and I will answer if I know how to do it! Ask me questions from 'How to use the UI' to 'How to make my ships patrol or make a squad' Or whatever else. Please be specific to what you want to know. It could also be about game mechanics, etc. I have over 40 hours now in the game and have a pretty good understanding of how things work unless it is something I haven't specifically done yet (like board a capital ship, haven't tried this yet).

Huillam
x4

Re: The ask me how to do something thread

Post by Huillam » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:30

How do you craft modifications (the ones related to researches) for ship?
And a vicious one: How do you translate weapon output in weapon dps?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:36

Huillam wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:30
And a vicious one: How do you translate weapon output in weapon dps?
Heya, the second question isn’t a how to do something in game lol. So, can’t help you to here. As for the first, I haven’t gotten around to crafting ship modifications yet but if it is anything like the crafting bench than you need to have in your inventory an item related to the crafting in order for it to show something to be crafted. I will eventually look into this further but that is probably how.

Thurgret
xr

Post by Thurgret » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:41

How do I move the 'centre' point of a plot? Can I? I mean the icon that goes down that you use to select it. Unfortunately it appears to also function as a waypoint for ships coming in to dock, and I unfortunately placed my first major station in such a way that ships coming in have to fly over it, then back the way they came for 5km to the landing pads or piers, which is particularly problematic for large ships coming in. I can always move the entire station within the plot but that can take a painfully long time.

Phoynix
x4

Post by Phoynix » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:43

How do you make turrets go online so they will attack.

Clicking the turret icons you can change what they will target(I assume)
You can also turn turrets on/off circle with a line(off I assume) and then Heat Bar like main guns, but the heat bar remains greyed out and turrets wont ever shoot..

Omexo
x4

Post by Omexo » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:49

How do you level up your crew? 7hrs with a pilot flying around doing stuff and its still 0 1/3
Last edited by Omexo on Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

Zarjazz
x4

Post by Zarjazz » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:50

Huillam wrote:
Obviously you need to have gone far enough in the PHQ mission to have researched Mods. Then you need a Workshop bench to craft them, this is different to a Crafting bench. I've only found them at Starship Traders outlets on the Wharf or Shipyard stations so far.

Omexo
x4

Post by Omexo » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:52

Zarjazz wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:50
Huillam wrote:
Obviously you need to have gone far enough in the PHQ mission to have researched Mods. Then you need a Workshop bench to craft them, this is different to a Crafting bench. I've only found them at Starship Traders outlets on the Wharf or Shipyard stations so far.
Obviously? Are you kidding what exactly is obvious about that please do tell.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:53

Thurgret wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:41
How do I move the 'centre' point of a plot? Can I? I mean the icon that goes down that you use to select it. Unfortunately it appears to also function as a waypoint for ships coming in to dock, and I unfortunately placed my first major station in such a way that ships coming in have to fly over it, then back the way they came for 5km to the landing pads or piers, which is particularly problematic for large ships coming in. I can always move the entire station within the plot but that can take a painfully long time.
Unfortunately I don’t think this is possible to do. You can change the size of the plot though up to 20km I beleive

SyberSmoke
x4

Post by SyberSmoke » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:55

Omexo wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:49
How do you level up your crew?
I think the better question to ask is "What do crew do for the ship?"
Leveling is easy, just have them on the ship and they gain experience through space pixie magic...or working. But buying my first medium and seeing it has a pilot, and can cram in 17 crew...I have to wonder what they do for the ship. Do they make it faster, stronger, get the shields up quicker? This is not something touched upon in the game that I have seen so far.

So, why buy crew for your larger ship? What do they do?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:57

Omexo wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:52
Zarjazz wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:50
Huillam wrote:
Obviously? Are you kidding what exactly is obvious about that please do tell.
Sorry, I assumed you knew about researching. You need to research all of the levels of the modifications at the PHQ once you get it and also once you get the boron to the station. The crafting benches for these are at wharfs, maybe shipyards too but haven’t checked.

cardolam

Post by cardolam » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:58

Now I know I am probably being dense but in a mouse + keyboard setup, how can I fire my guns? I try pressing spacebar and nothing happens... I reassigned Fire Primary Weapons at Cursor to key F and nothing happens when I target something and press the F key...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help. The game seems incredible but It's a pity I can't even pass tutorial 2 due to the above mentioned issue.

Thurgret
xr

Post by Thurgret » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:08

BlackRain wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:53
Thurgret wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:41
Unfortunately I don’t think this is possible to do. You can change the size of the plot though up to 20km I beleive
It would be a useful feature. Oh well. I'll just plan future stations better.

Omexo
x4

Post by Omexo » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:22

SyberSmoke wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:55
Omexo wrote:
How do you level up your crew?
I think the better question to ask is "What do crew do for the ship?"
Leveling is easy, just have them on the ship and they gain experience through space pixie magic...or working. But buying my first medium and seeing it has a pilot, and can cram in 17 crew...I have to wonder what they do for the ship. Do they make it faster, stronger, get the shields up quicker? This is not something touched upon in the game that I have seen so far.

So, why buy crew for your larger ship? What do they do?
Have you actually seen your crew members level up, 100% sure you saw the stats increase? I have been using the same crew since the beginning of my play, i recorded each members stats and after 1d 15h of combat, doing all sorts of missions, none of my crews stats have changed. I only promoted one to a pilot about 7hrs ago and I have been making her fly me everywhere, even run local auto trade (which she always takes a loss on) and none of her stats have changed so I am very curious if the leveling system is working properly and if it is, how do you level up your crew, what do you have to do to make them level.

cardolam

Post by cardolam » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:26

cardolam wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 23:58
Now I know I am probably being dense but in a mouse + keyboard setup, how can I fire my guns? I try pressing spacebar and nothing happens... I reassigned Fire Primary Weapons at Cursor to key F and nothing happens when I target something and press the F key...

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help. The game seems incredible but It's a pity I can't even pass tutorial 2 due to the above mentioned issue.
I started again and I have no issues. So count this as a *bug*!

If you are interested I can send you the save game that has this problem... send me a PM if it is important to you.

Lainalil

Post by Lainalil » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:28

How do I mend negative faction standing?

I have a -24 with HOP, early on I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, I am now denied landing at any of their stations and they are all hostile towards me. I could just take over their space over time but that seems like bad form.

They offer me no missions so I have no idea how I would be able to repair any standing with them. Is there a method?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:34

Omexo wrote:
How do you level up your crew? 7hrs with a pilot flying around doing stuff and its still 0 1/3
You are supposed to be avle to level up crew by having them do certain things. Fighting, boarding, trading, running a station, etc. it is defined in libraries, experiences.xml. However it doesn’t appear to be working and I already put up a bug post about it. Seninars are also not implemented yet.

As for skill, higher skill allows for different default behaviors and perhaps better flight ability/fight ability. I need to look into scripts for that but that’s the idea.

For example, i think 3 stars for a pilot pets you seect patrol default behavior. Engineering skill should affect how fast ships repair with drones and need to make them service crew. Also experience is supposed to be gained for both individuals and group, meaning others on your ship. Not sure if everything related to these skills are implemented yet.

Will answer more later.

Isqander

Post by Isqander » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:48

Hi , I cant seem to find any marines , is there a specific place I need to recruit them ?

Studders
x4

Post by Studders » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:51

How do you officially report bugs?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:00

Isqander wrote:
Mon, 3. Dec 18, 00:48
Hi , I cant seem to find any marines , is there a specific place I need to recruit them ?

Forum has been so slow so hard to post in a timely fashion ugh. Anyway, you hire crewmen/women and when assigning them you select marine

Return to “X4: Foundations”