The ask me how to do something thread

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreez
x4

Re: The ask me how to do something thread

Post by Dreez » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 00:51

How do i transfer marines from one ship to another after a successful takeover ?.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Joecheeze
x4

Post by Joecheeze » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 00:56

looneyed wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 20:09
After you bought a licence for a plot you can put station modules down.
How do you turn a station module so you can snap it together ?
left click on module then right click hold and drag mouse.

NervousWombat

Post by NervousWombat » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 04:41

What is the range of a resource probe?
Do I need to identify a resource field with a probe before auto-miners will work?
Where in a coloured field on the map should you drop a probe? Does it matter where? Will I get better results if the probe is placed in a specific spot?
Do I need to cover a field with multiple probes?
Do I need resource probes at all?
What does a flashing blue question mark mean when looking at the map?
Is there any point to scanning a station?
Do auto-traders only trade in basics such as ore, silicon etc?
What exactly is the function of Service Crew?
How do you level up crew?
How do you find better crew?
What does the $10M trading license do?
How do you use Cargo and Repair drones?

Cheers.

Silveressa
x4

Post by Silveressa » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 13:02

How do you give a move command on the map in the z axis?
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

KillZ0n3
x4

Post by KillZ0n3 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:02

Dreez wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 00:51
How do i transfer marines from one ship to another after a successful takeover ?.
As of yet, there is no way to do this "en mass". They only viable way is to dock the original ship and the boarded ship in the same station. Then comn each marine and ask them to work on the original ship. Given the ammount of marines, this may take alot of time but thats the only way to do it.
NervousWombat wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 04:41
What is the range of a resource probe?
Do I need to identify a resource field with a probe before auto-miners will work?
Where in a coloured field on the map should you drop a probe? Does it matter where? Will I get better results if the probe is placed in a specific spot?
Do I need to cover a field with multiple probes?
Do I need resource probes at all?
What does a flashing blue question mark mean when looking at the map?
Is there any point to scanning a station?
Do auto-traders only trade in basics such as ore, silicon etc?
What exactly is the function of Service Crew?
How do you level up crew?
How do you find better crew?
What does the $10M trading license do?
How do you use Cargo and Repair drones?

Cheers.
Hum, curious individual you are, Obi-wan. Let me try and answer what i can.

Q: What is the range of a resource probe?
A: I do not know the in game measures but if you deploy it alone, you can get a fair ideia of the radius.

Q: Do I need to identify a resource field with a probe before auto-miners will work?
A: I would believe no, as the way Autominers identify the resources available is different from the way your trades need station info to trade. Though someone might have proof otherwise, as i am unsure about this point

Q: Where in a coloured field on the map should you drop a probe? Does it matter where? Will I get better results if the probe is placed in a specific spot?
A: Try and place them in the most asteroid dense area. The coloured field is just to indicate that it is an asteriod belt.

Q: Do I need to cover a field with multiple probes?
A: Yes. About 50Km apart should give you pretty good coverage between probes.

Q: What does a flashing blue question mark mean when looking at the map?
A: Never encountered any. Maybe someone else can explain this.

Q: Is there any point to scanning a station?
A: Yes there is. Besides getting blackmarket missions, discount and other goodies from data leaks (flashing sparks), you can also get blueprints without buying the modules from a faction representative (once you have the research unlocked). Also unlocks info for the logistical chart on the station.

Q: Do auto-traders only trade in basics such as ore, silicon etc?
A: They trade on all wares. What ware they trade is up to you. Auto-trade on the order behaviour tab allows you to select the wares you want to trade on. Auto-trade (Galaxy) incoporates all wares and even then you can remove unwanted wares from the trading table.

Q: What exactly is the function of Service Crew?
A: To repair a ship, mostly. Other users also reported better turret accuracy. Although i have no data regarding the accuracy.

Q: How do you level up crew?
A: Have them perform tasks and over time they will improve (Trading levels up Managing and Piloting, Flying around levels up Piloting and Morale, Reparing ships levels up morale and engineering).

Q: How do you find better crew?
A: Right now, there is no way.

Q: What does the $10M trading license do?
A: They give you updated trading information on all station you visited and will visit that belong to that faction, without needing a satellite nearby.

Q: How do you use Cargo and Repair drones?
A: They are used automatically, at least the repair drone i think. Try and trade with a station with an L Freighter to use drone, i imagine.
Silveressa wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 13:02
I would try to rotate the galaxy map (right mouse button hold and dragging), then try giving a fly to command on the Z axis.

Klopa
x4

Post by Klopa » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 15:20

KillZ0n3 wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:02
Q: What does a flashing blue question mark mean when looking at the map?
A: Never encountered any. Maybe someone else can explain this.
I guess I can. It's a rare lockbox. Has more locks and better loot than a normal (white) lockbox. Will only be shown on the map for a few seconds, should give a blue ping on the long range scanner though, too.
If I remember correctly, there's also yellow (even more rare) lockboxes, which (also if I remember correctly) don't show on the map at all, just as yellow pings on the long range scan.
Btw - if I'm not mistaken, the colour of pings on the scan refers to the rarity/value of the unknown object, in descending order: purple, yellow, blue, white. Although purple doesn't refer to lockboxes.

usarmyinfantry05

Post by usarmyinfantry05 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:23

my new space station I have built says in the optimal number of workers, but I can't seem to figure out how to get workers there.

KillZ0n3
x4

Post by KillZ0n3 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:27

usarmyinfantry05 wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:23
my new space station I have built says in the optimal number of workers, but I can't seem to figure out how to get workers there.
That question has been answered already, on the forums. But you can get workers by building a habitat module and supplying food rations and medical supplies to the station. If those requirements are met, the workforce will increase over time.

NervousWombat

Post by NervousWombat » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 01:33

KillZ0n3 wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:02
Hum, curious individual you are, Obi-wan. Let me try and answer what i can.

Q: What is the range of a resource probe?
A: I do not know the in game measures but if you deploy it alone, you can get a fair ideia of the radius.

Q: Do I need to identify a resource field with a probe before auto-miners will work?
A: I would believe no, as the way Autominers identify the resources available is different from the way your trades need station info to trade. Though someone might have proof otherwise, as i am unsure about this point

Q: Where in a coloured field on the map should you drop a probe? Does it matter where? Will I get better results if the probe is placed in a specific spot?
A: Try and place them in the most asteroid dense area. The coloured field is just to indicate that it is an asteriod belt.

Q: Do I need to cover a field with multiple probes?
A: Yes. About 50Km apart should give you pretty good coverage between probes.

Q: What exactly is the function of Service Crew?
A: To repair a ship, mostly. Other users also reported better turret accuracy. Although i have no data regarding the accuracy.
Why am I a curious individual?
Regarding the resource probes, if the automining mechanism does not require the presence of resource probes then what is the point of identifying resources at all?
And regarding the service crew and turrets, is there an actual mechanism here? Not interested in internet conjecture.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 03:44

NervousWombat wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 01:33
Regarding the resource probes, if the automining mechanism does not require the presence of resource probes then what is the point of identifying resources at all?
And regarding the service crew and turrets, is there an actual mechanism here? Not interested in internet conjecture.
I started putting crew(service and marines) onto my auto-traders, as they fly around doing their job... and most of my Traders have upgraded service crew(though I've done nothing, they've been earning stars on their own for some reason). The marines have not upgraded at all. What that actually accomplishes, I'm not sure. I can only imagine whatever repairs they are doing while auto-controlled are maybe more efficient, and happening quicker.

In X3 there was a repair cost that your auto-miners paid to repair their ship. I haven't seen any kind of cost yet for X4 for repairs, but I would imagine they will add it at some point... why else have service crew?

KillZ0n3
x4

Post by KillZ0n3 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 05:43

NervousWombat wrote:
I was actually trying to be funny. Since i took the time to answer all your question as much as i could, the "tone" you're giving me is quite unwelcome...
If you are not interested in "internet conjecutre", go ask the devs yourself. Or maybe you can try to figure it out.
Regarding the probes, hum, i don't know, maybe to identify where you can put more miners and have a refined metals station with most profit?
Again, find out yourself.

:twisted:

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 06:01

KillZ0n3 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 05:43
NervousWombat wrote:
I was actually trying to be funny. Since i took the time to answer all your question as much as i could, the "tone" you're giving me is quite unwelcome...
If you are not interested in "internet conjecutre", go ask the devs yourself. Or maybe you can try to figure it out.
Regarding the probes, hum, i don't know, maybe to identify where you can put more miners and have a refined metals station with most profit?
Again, find out yourself.

:twisted:
Not to mention, as players, we don't know what makes the miners go where they go. Resource probes are OUR way of finding out resource concentrations... some people, myself included, enjoying mining from time to time. Resource Probes can tell us where it's good to mine, versus just randomly wandering around mining with no clue as to the overall yield of an asteroid belt.

roland6885
x4

Post by roland6885 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 06:23

Silveressa wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 13:02
I too would like to know this. I want to order ships to identify a station 100km below the x-y plane of the map but there is no way to go up or down on the map, just to rotate it

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:48

How do you transfer cargo from owned ship1 to owned ship2 in at the same dock

Silveressa
x4

Post by Silveressa » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:54

ajime wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 12:48
How do you transfer cargo from owned ship1 to owned ship2 in at the same dock
AFAIK there currently is no way, you need to have both ships undocked and then order them to transfer cargo between one another via the orders screen in the map menu? (If there is an easier way I'd love to know as well.)
"Lesbian Gamers, sometimes we use our hands for other things."

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 20:28

What is the proper procedure to uncover pirates pretending to be normal ship? Do I need a police licence to hunt them down?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:27

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 20:28
What is the proper procedure to uncover pirates pretending to be normal ship? Do I need a police licence to hunt them down?
A police scanner to find them with illegal goods. I think the police license will give you the ability to comm them and try and make them drop their wares. If you can get them to dump their wares, you can get more stuff.

AlienM1nd
x4

Post by AlienM1nd » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:31

Not a question but I found it best belongs into this thread.

Did you know you can...

.. hold crouch while jumping to get over a railing or something, also there is no falling damage.
.. directly go to the CART place by clicking "Merchant" in the transporter menu.
.. hold boost while travel mode is initializing for a nice launch speed
.. sensor-lock (white arrow) things like question marks on the map by pressing "Zielobjekt auf Karte" (in english perhaps called.. target object on map?)
.. turn down the transaction sound by turning "ui volume" down in audio settings

Varien101

Post by Varien101 » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:08

About to give 20 traders the same order.

Anybody know how to set them to galaxy auto trade a few items, searching the entire galaxy for buying, but only selling in 1 sector?

Basically.. copy/paste lol.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:37

Varien101 wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:08
About to give 20 traders the same order.

Anybody know how to set them to galaxy auto trade a few items, searching the entire galaxy for buying, but only selling in 1 sector?

Basically.. copy/paste lol.
For only dealing in certain items, they need to have 3 stars, and you need to set their Default Behavior to Auto-Trade, and then it will give you a list of wares you can trade in.

For the sector trading, also in default behavior, after you set what they can and cannot sell, just underneath that, there is a gate limit for buying, and one for selling. So you could set buying to 20 gates, as in they'll go up to 20 gates away to buy, but set selling to 0 or 1 gates, to have them sell close to their starting point.

I've yet to find a way to disallow specific systems or sectors though unfortunately, which I miss from prior X games.

Return to “X4: Foundations”