How do you drop Satellites on the Y Axis in map view?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

skalapunk
x4

Re: How do you drop Satellites on the Y Axis in map view?

Post by skalapunk » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:14

Just tell the ship that is to drop the satellite to fly to the station (right click station > fly to), and the ship will fly along the Y axis towards the station. Once you determine the ship is close enough, drop the satellite.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:39

I guess it came down to some flavour of:
1. Egosoft didn't have time to add it in the face of everything else that needed doing
2. Egosoft didn't think it was a good idea period e.g. not to over complicate things
3. Egosoft are taking a wait and see approach

So lets make a good gameplay case for depth axis (be that Y or Z) control on the map and make a feature request. I think if people are enjoying the game they are more likely to add in features to enhance what is working well.

I've not played around with the map much yet so I don't want to pre-judge anything, I do think its an oversight to not include depth control in such a rich interface if that's the case but I also think that giving the player access to the map as it stands from your first ship may be a mistake. By that I mean it could be overwhelming to a pilot or a player in the early pilot phases of their game but obviously later on where you have traders, miners, stations and a fleet it will be a godsend.... I hope we'll see 8)

Knightwolf
x4

Post by Knightwolf » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:43

skalapunk wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:14
Just tell the ship that is to drop the satellite to fly to the station (right click station > fly to), and the ship will fly along the Y axis towards the station. Once you determine the ship is close enough, drop the satellite.
We mentioned above that method does not work.But thank you.

Knightwolf
x4

Post by Knightwolf » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:46

BigBANGtheory wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:39
1. Egosoft didn't have time to add it in the face of everything else that needed doing
2. Egosoft didn't think it was a good idea period e.g. not to over complicate things

So lets make a good gameplay case for depth axis (be that Y or Z) control on the map and make a feature request. I think if people are enjoying the game they are more likely to add in features to enhance what is working well.

I've not played around with the map much yet so I don't want to pre-judge anything, I do think its an oversight to not include depth control in such a rich interface if that's the case but I also think that giving the player access to the map as it stands from your first ship may be a mistake. By that I mean it could be overwhelming to a pilot or a player in the early pilot phases of their game but obviously later on where you have traders, miners, stations and a fleet it will be a godsend.... I hope we'll see 8)
I'm pretty sure a way will be added if not there giving some time. I was checking to make sure I was not missing something.

CaptainX4

Post by CaptainX4 » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 19:21

Knightwolf wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:46
BigBANGtheory wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:39

I'm pretty sure a way will be added if not there giving some time. I was checking to make sure I was not missing something.
you know, the interesting stuff is that it was an issue in x3, they have added it, it was an issue in xr, i dont know if they have added it or not, i gave up on that game and now its still an issue in x4... seriously...

ChrisF0001
x4

Post by ChrisF0001 » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 19:24

It does seem a strange thing to be missing, though, given that it was present in X3. (I never played X:R, though I think I have it somewhere...)

...In fact I'm actually kind of tempted to go back to playing Albion Prelude for a bit. I think I had that giant conversion mod somewhere as well... (...Or is that just me?)

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 22:16

CaptainX4 wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 19:21
you know, the interesting stuff is that it was an issue in x3, they have added it, it was an issue in xr, i dont know if they have added it or not, i gave up on that game and now its still an issue in x4... seriously...
I was being polite :)

skalapunk
x4

Post by skalapunk » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:36

Knightwolf wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 18:43
skalapunk wrote:
Huh. I do it all the time.

Knightwolf
x4

Post by Knightwolf » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 16:18

skalapunk wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:36
Knightwolf wrote:
skalapunk wrote:
Double check you sats. They appear to drop near stations but they only drop on center. When you drop happens where you click, not where your ship is.

skylinedr
x4

Post by skylinedr » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 16:31

Noticed this too. Its not possible to change the target path icon in -z- direction. In X3 there was a shortcut for -z- axis, PGUP/PGDN i think, but doesnt work too in X4.
Ich mag den Gedanken einer "Spukhaften Fernwirkung" nicht. - A.Einstein

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 16:41

Really hope it's just one of those things they haven't added yet. I'm going to be very disappointed if after all this time space is less 3D in practice than even X3 was.
***modified***

Depleted
x4

Post by Depleted » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 17:25

Can you rotate the map so that way instead of it being top down you're looking at it from the side which gives you the height axis, and then try issueing the order?
That's how i got around the 2d overview issue with creating capital docks for my station.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 17:30

Depleted wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 17:25
Can you rotate the map so that way instead of it being top down you're looking at it from the side which gives you the height axis, and then try issueing the order?
That's how i got around the 2d overview issue with creating capital docks for my station.
I've tried that before, but it still issued orders as if it was top down. Maybe it's supposed to work that way and just bugged, but I'm not sure how to tell, there was no mention of it when I did the tutorial.
***modified***

skalapunk
x4

Post by skalapunk » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 22:06

Knightwolf wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 16:18
skalapunk wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:36
Knightwolf wrote:

Double check you sats. They appear to drop near stations but they only drop on center. When you drop happens where you click, not where your ship is.
If you click on the ship itself, it drops right at the ship. This is why, as I said above, I fly my ship off-plane to the off-plane station by using the "Fly to.." command and telling the ship to fly there. Then, once there, I right click the ship icon (little triangle) on the map, and click > civilian > satellite and Boom.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 23:05

skalapunk wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 22:06
If you click on the ship itself, it drops right at the ship. This is why, as I said above, I fly my ship off-plane to the off-plane station by using the "Fly to.." command and telling the ship to fly there. Then, once there, I right click the ship icon (little triangle) on the map, and click > civilian > satellite and Boom.
Its about orders for your ships, not flying your personal ship anywhere.
There is no way to add any commands on map that are outside the sector/map plane.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 14. Dec 18, 23:08

Depleted wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 17:25
No, you cannot move even fly orders out of the plane.
Sat deploy orders you cannot move at all.

Needs some more care :)

Velocinox
x3tc

Post by Velocinox » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 02:18

If you're specifically trying to drop sats near stations then >fly to >deploy satellite >fly to >deploy satellite, etc. Since the AI does orders sequentially it will fly to the station (not dock but near enough for sat coverage and will be x,y,z correct) then drop a sat, then fly near the next, and drop another sat, etc.

skalapunk
x4

Post by skalapunk » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:12

pref wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 23:05
skalapunk wrote:
Fri, 14. Dec 18, 22:06
Its about orders for your ships, not flying your personal ship anywhere.
There is no way to add any commands on map that are outside the sector/map plane.
I'm aware it's about NPC ships, not personally flown ships.
I'm simply saying you can command your NPC ship to fly off-plane to by issuing a "Fly to..." command to the off-plane station. Then, when the ship is near, right click it in the map screen and have it drop a satellite.

Grimmrog
x4

Re: How to you drop Satellites on the Y Axis in map view?

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:26

Perahoky wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:53
The game needs an hotkey / movement function for y axis.

In other games like homeworld or star wolves, thats the shift key.
probably, we should move the selection mode from shift to STRG key and use SHIFT for y axis.
this, homeworld had an amazingly easy way to let the player order ships in a 3 dimensional universe. I really loved that.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 19:08

skalapunk wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:12
[I'm aware it's about NPC ships, not personally flown ships.
I'm simply saying you can command your NPC ship to fly off-plane to by issuing a "Fly to..." command to the off-plane station. Then, when the ship is near, right click it in the map screen and have it drop a satellite.
I see, my bad.
Still like that you have to babysit and cannot take advantage of the command queue which would be the point - think if you right click the station itself the deploy option doesn't show up?
The map needs generally a method for dealing with the 3rd axis.

Return to “X4: Foundations”