Co-pilot seats

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MegaJohnny
x4

Co-pilot seats

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:35

So, this would be quite hard to squeeze in, as some of the S-ship cockpits don't have much spare room, but:

I think it'd be nice if ships had two seats, one for the pilot and one for a co-pilot. The main pilot seat for each ship would be the one already in the game, and the co-pilot seat would be next to it, behind it, a different bridge console, whatever. How this works is that NPCs can control the ship from the co-pilot seat, but the main pilot seat is always kept empty for the player - when the player is in the main pilot seat, the NPC no longer has any control of the ship. This could have some benefits over the current system:
  • NPCs can quickly take control of the ship when you stand up, instead of having to walk from the transporter room
  • Less frequent silly moments like shoving your captain out of the way when you want to sit down, or having them trying to awkwardly shuffle past you when you stand up
  • A bit of atmospheric fun of having a co-pilot in the cockpit with you
I doubt this will turn out to be possible to implement as a mod, but I thought I'd see what people think anyway.

Tyrant597
x4

Re: Co-pilot seats

Post by Tyrant597 » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:40

Doable, since ships bigger than S class already have more than one seat in the cockpit.
You don't talks about X:Rebirth...
X4 Mods: Collect Inventory Wares Stations Supply Build Storage Mass Move Marines

Vandragorax
x4

Post by Vandragorax » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:49

Add to this - please make the co-pilots stay seated whilst flying. All the constant getting up and down, and door opening/closing noises are very tiring after 10 minutes! :D
Admiral of the Fleet.

Knightdark
x4

Post by Knightdark » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 20:55

+1

Baldamundo
x4

Post by Baldamundo » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 10:06

Would be fantastic. It's extremely annoying at the moment how you need to keep hopping in and out of your seat every time you want to activate the 'autopilot'. And the fact that you can't see speed, shield, hull, target information when your crew are flying it.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 10:14

Vandragorax wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 16:49
Add to this - please make the co-pilots stay seated whilst flying. All the constant getting up and down, and door opening/closing noises are very tiring after 10 minutes! :D
At the very least they could greatly reduced down the amount they move, like once every 30 minutes to an hour. It would probably help on cpu resources too.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Zealoth
x4

Post by Zealoth » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 10:47

Yessss
I'd want to be able to sit down as my pilot flies around as well though

Knightdark
x4

Post by Knightdark » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 11:39

Would it be hard to somehow mod it in that you can see the things you see when piloting yourself, but unable to do anything with it? So you can keep an eye on things, but the other pilot is in charge?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:48

Back to X Rebirth and Albion Skunk. I kind of loved the cockpit of that ship.

+1

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 12:57

NIIcK wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:48
Back to X Rebirth and Albion Skunk. I kind of loved the cockpit of that ship.

+1
The cockpit variations in X:Rebirth were awesome - I especially liked the integrated map / GUI in the middle console. Sooo immersive :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 20:35

Also, while standing next to my pilot I can't click on anything in the view. It would be awesome if this seat allowed clicking!

Cassin
x4

Post by Cassin » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 19:41

I greatly second that !

Just having the possibility to simply click on an object like in the control seat would be pratcical.
Au nord, c'était les Borons. La terre, c'était tout au fond. Le ciel, était plein de thons. Les hommes, c'était des poissons.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 20:25

4.0 And we still don't have this basic and at the same time hugely more immersive change.
Shame.

Return to “X4: Foundations”