The X4: Foundations Manual has been released

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

stefanEgo
x4

The X4: Foundations Manual has been released

Post by stefanEgo » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:09

Dear all,

The X4: Foundations Manual has been released. It contains information on game mechanics to suppliment the in-game Tutorials (accesible via the H key).

The Manual can be found on the X4: Foundations Wiki, alongside various content being generated by players (e.g game stats and gameplay guides). It can also be found in-game via the Main Menu (Tutorials and Help (H)/External Resources/X4: Foundations Wiki).

Link to the X4: Foundations Manual

As X4: Foundations matures, the content of the Manual will be updated to reflect on-going game developments. If there are game mechanics for which you would like further clarity on, please mention that in this thread to help the Manual develop on its own.

If you would like to propose new or updated content for the Manual, please feel free to share draft text within this thread.

All players are able, and invited, to add or update content on the wider X4: Foundations Wiki (see here for info).

Link to the X4: Foundations Wiki

Happy gaming!
Stefan Hett

gschultz
x4

Re: The X4: Foundations Manual has been released

Post by gschultz » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 19:12

stefanEgo wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:09
Dear all,

The X4: Foundations Manual has been released. It contains information on game mechanics to suppliment the in-game Tutorials (accesible via the H key).

The Manual can be found on the X4: Foundations Wiki, alongside various content being generated by players (e.g game stats and gameplay guides). It can also be found in-game through via the Main Menu (Tutorials and Help (H)/External Resources/X4: Foundations Wiki).

Link to the X4: Foundations Manual

As X4: Foundations matures, the content of the Manual will be updated to reflect on-going game developments. If there are game mechanics for which you would like further clarity on, please mention that in this thread to help the Manual develop on its own.

If you would like to propose new or updated content for the Manual, please feel free to share draft text within this thread.

All players are able, and invited, to add or update content on the wider X4: Foundations Wiki (see here for info).

Link to the X4: Foundations Wiki

Happy gaming!
bravo!!!! danke (the extent of my german)

Bellatormonk
x4

Post by Bellatormonk » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:19

Can you pin this in the Steam Forum as well? Lots of lost people over there as well.

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:30

omg look at the ship modes section:
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ership+HUD

I'm still confused about the long range scanner. Is it saying that you only need to do one, and not four pulses to detect stations? Is that why the pulse sometimes looks like a bubble when you use it on the super highways? Does that 360 bubble have a max 200km range?

Why does it say the pulse travels 90 degrees in front of you, but then it says the smallest objects can be detected with a 120 degree pulse. What's the difference between the 90 degree and the 120 degree pulse? Do I need to do 3 or 4 pulses when doing 360 scans looking for lockboxes, data vaults and anomalies?

It doesn't state, but the max range for detecting data vaults is 140km.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:44

Oh you guys :roll:

Thank you very much! Grazie mille!

Juggernaut93
x4

Post by Juggernaut93 » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:45

Blitz4 wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:30
omg look at the ship modes section:
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... ership+HUD

I'm still confused about the long range scanner. Is it saying that you only need to do one, and not four pulses to detect stations?
Yes, direction of the pulse is not important to detect stations.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:46

Ide suggest you guys make video tutorials like you did for rebirth and place them in-game. They were very well done and would help a lot of people.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 21:31

This means not all Blueprints can be obtained using ships to scan the Data Leaks and using the Spacesuit Scanner yields the best results.
huh
now that's good to know

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 22:06

Sector Control
Administrative Centre modules when completed grant ownership of an unowned sector on a first come first served basis revealing all ships and stations in the sector and imposing the illegal wares list of the owning faction. If the Administrative Centre module is destroyed sector ownership will change over to the next faction with an Administrative Centre. Waring NPC factions are constantly playing a turf war to replace the Defence Platforms of their enemy with one of their own. Once the player has acquired Blueprints for an Administrative Centre, they too can conquer entire sectors if they are willing to defend it.
I already knew about the admin modules, and that's ok. But am I correct to gather from this that then the wars/conquests/invasions are meant to only target the respective enemy defense platforms? Once they destroy and replace them BAM, the sector is conquered and every other station "switches sides" (or, well, pretty much is always neutral, in a sense)? Would explain why there also is "limited wars" between Commonwealth factions, that only target military assets and ignore civilian ones. If so, it's a pretty lean mechanic, I admit, lightweight and quickly does what it's meant to do without messing with the whole universe balance on an infrastructural level. But a bit underwhelming.
Last edited by Kadatherion on Mon, 10. Dec 18, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 22:07

Well, look who decided to release a "manual". It's as if a ridiculously complex sandbox space simulator with mechanics nobody outside of veteran X players would even recognize, would need one :roll:
Better late than never I guess.

All I can say, is actually the exact same thing I said for X4 itself: a good start!
Now all that remains is to fill it with some actual content ;)

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 22:16

nice one, thanks
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 22:42

Great, there is some good info in it :) and confirms few things I've notice.
Thanks
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

EmperorOfPotato
x4

Post by EmperorOfPotato » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:07

Wou wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 21:31
This means not all Blueprints can be obtained using ships to scan the Data Leaks and using the Spacesuit Scanner yields the best results.
huh
now that's good to know
Right? I've been lucking out for hours trying to get an engine part manufacturer, I read this and first try!

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:20

Why not put all the information in the ingame encyclopedia? This is where most people are at and searching for information :)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:28

Bellatormonk wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:19
Can you pin this in the Steam Forum as well? Lots of lost people over there as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. It has been added as a link within the Steam Forum's "X4 Manual, Wiki and FAQs" thread :)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 23:45

Blitz4 wrote:
I'm still confused about the long range scanner. Is it saying that you only need to do one, and not four pulses to detect stations? Is that why the pulse sometimes looks like a bubble when you use it on the super highways? Does that 360 bubble have a max 200km range?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, only one pulse is sufficient to find large stuff (stations, gates and accelerators) in any direction around your ship when viewed from above the ship (as long as they are within limits of 45o above and below the horizon as viewed from the cockpit). The max range for detecting large stuff is 200 km.
Blitz4 wrote:
Why does it say the pulse travels 90 degrees in front of you, but then it says the smallest objects can be detected with a 120 degree pulse. What's the difference between the 90 degree and the 120 degree pulse? Do I need to do 3 or 4 pulses when doing 360 scans looking for lockboxes, data vaults and anomalies?
The 90o part is about the up-down angle when looking out your cockpit (applies to all objects). The 120o part is the left-right angle (for detecting small objects. To detect all small objects (within the 90o up-down angle) we therefore need to do 3 scans while steering/yawing around in a circle.

I've adjusted the wiki text a little to try to make it a bit clearer.

Spiralrazor

Post by Spiralrazor » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:58

There is no mention of Black Marketeer or Trade Agent in any of the wikis???

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 01:41

Spiralrazor wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:58
The link between Black Marketeers and crafting is mentioned on the Purchasing and Upgrading ships page of the manual but there's always room for more info.

Info how to gaining info about trade offers has now been added to the Trading and Mining page ofthe X4: Foundations Manual.

Spiralrazor

Post by Spiralrazor » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 02:06

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 01:41
Spiralrazor wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 00:58
The link between Black Marketeers and crafting is mentioned on the Purchasing and Upgrading ships page of the manual but there's always room for more info.

Info how to gaining info about trade offers has now been added to the Trading and Mining page ofthe X4: Foundations Manual.
Neither of those sections mention anything about how you go about acquiring and assigning a Black Marketeer or Trade Agent to your stations.......

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 02:39

Spiralrazor wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 02:06
Neither of those sections mention anything about how you go about acquiring and assigning a Black Marketeer or Trade Agent to your stations.......
Neither did you.
stefanEgo wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:09
If there are game mechanics for which you would like further clarity on, please mention that in this thread to help the Manual develop on its own.

Return to “X4: Foundations”