Too much like Elite Dangerous

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Boringnick
x3tc

Too much like Elite Dangerous

Post by Boringnick » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:59

All the X games so far had a very specific look and feel. Busy colorful sectors with beautiful ambient music. It wasn't in any way realistic, but it had style.

X4 feels too much like Elite Dangerous. The landing procedure, the "hyperdrive" and the cockpit dashboard are very similar. The sectors are also way more stretched out than in any X games prior.

It feels way more "spacey" than before, that's true, but also far less X-like.

Socratatus
x4

Re: Too much like Elite Dangerous

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:05

I don`t mind it. I always liked Elite\dangerous, but never liked how they were rather restrictive. The fact that i could never play Offline and had to deal with server blackouts that stopped me playing and if I complained I was met with a wall of fanboys who made sure the Devs could ignore me, just put me off big time. Plus the fact that because it was online-only I had to stay forver if I wanted to complete a mission in one go.

Also too much nickle and diming for a game I never felt was really mine. And the `PC` censorship bugged me alot too, all because forced online.

X4 does everything right Elite did wrong and it`s why I have dropped Elite permanently. Maybe when they make Elite playable Offline I might go back, but not until then.
Last edited by Socratatus on Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

SpaceCake

Post by SpaceCake » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:05

Auto-pilot still makes your ship have an existential crisis every time it tries to navigate around stations and asteroids. It's very X-like in my book.

JanB
x4

Post by JanB » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:06

????? Okayyy
1K ist oK. 2K's sind oK. 2K's + 1I sind IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

weller009
x3tc

Post by weller009 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:11

I do see some similarities, but thankfully there is some meat on the bones of X4!

Triu
x4

Post by Triu » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:14

This is my first X game, but I put in thousands of hours of Elite Dangerous on console. I don't think the games are similiar in the least. From what I heard about previous X games though, you just need to wait for this game to stabilize, then mods will come out of the woods, out of the sky, out of the ground, everywhere and everything to make this the game you expect. Also the developers are putting out updates, every like 1-3 days, adding content, bug fixes, give it some time, yeah?

Arghan

Post by Arghan » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:17

Boringnick wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:59
All the X games so far had a very specific look and feel. Busy colorful sectors with beautiful ambient music. It wasn't in any way realistic, but it had style.

X4 feels too much like Elite Dangerous. The landing procedure, the "hyperdrive" and the cockpit dashboard are very similar. The sectors are also way more stretched out than in any X games prior.

WRONG. This game is NOT ENOUGH like Elite Dangerous! Where is fuel management!!!??? Where is cargo scoop?!! Where are pilots who actually know how to fight?!! Not this stupid lambs for slaughter current enemy fighters are?!!!!! I want to be able to explore whole solar systems here tooo!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE ARE ENGINEERS?! Um... went to far with this one.....

Okey, sarcasm off.

I wouldn't mind getting the stuff i mentioned above (excluding grindineers), but really, is it that bad to hijack what is working really well?

The landing procedure is actually quite fun thing to do and I actually played with it for like 20 hours. So your opinion is not the only one out there. There are only so many cockpits you can do and most types you will find in either elite or scar citizen. And those are usable well enough for me. Usable and actually tried - so hard to mess up - X has enough "experimental stuff" not to mess with cockpits too.
Hyperdriver is great way to make universe feel big - so some of us really like that. Again, your opinion is not the only one.

Mr_Cossack
x4

Post by Mr_Cossack » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:18

They play nothing alike. The only thing in common is that they are both set in space.

bubbabenali
x4

Post by bubbabenali » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:24

The only similarity I see is the Nemesis. Tuned with some mods it feels like the Fer-de-Lance... And that's it.
The spacious feeling of the sectors is a godsend for bigger fleets with several Cap ships in the squads - still the feel way smaller than the X3AP sectors.

Triu
x4

Post by Triu » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:46

Arghan wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:17
Boringnick wrote:

WRONG. This game is NOT ENOUGH like Elite Dangerous! Where is fuel management!!!??? Where is cargo scoop?!! Where are pilots who actually know how to fight?!! Not this stupid lambs for slaughter current enemy fighters are?!!!!! I want to be able to explore whole solar systems here tooo!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE ARE ENGINEERS?! Um... went to far with this one.....

Okey, sarcasm off.

I wouldn't mind getting the stuff i mentioned above (excluding grindineers), but really, is it that bad to hijack what is working really well?

The landing procedure is actually quite fun thing to do and I actually played with it for like 20 hours. So your opinion is not the only one out there. There are only so many cockpits you can do and most types you will find in either elite or scar citizen. And those are usable well enough for me. Usable and actually tried - so hard to mess up - X has enough "experimental stuff" not to mess with cockpits too.
Hyperdriver is great way to make universe feel big - so some of us really like that. Again, your opinion is not the only one.
I agree with fuel management, if we could actually consume space fuel, would do some much for the economy. We need more taken away, so production can proceed.

battou
x4

Post by battou » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:56

I argree with OP on the fact that there is less X vibe this time, some part of X atmosphere is lost while adopting current space sim genre trends.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:15

Boringnick wrote:
Never played the other X games before so please forgive me if I say this doesnt feel like ED to me at all. As a person who put over 1k hours in ED, the flight mechanics are soooo different.

CLAIM: Landing procedure is the same

FALSE! ED landing procedure requires you request docking and you are not allowed to enter the docking hangar unless you have, otherwise you get fined. The docking hangars in ED are much, much bigger as well, with a tiny "mail slot" - they are also a LOT harder to land in.

CLAIM: Fast travel is same as "hyper drive"

FALSE! ED FRAMESHIFT DRIVE goes at an ever increasing speed the further away from gravity wells you are, X4 "travel mode" goes at a constant rate.

CLAIM: dashboards are very similar

FALSE! X4 dashboard is very simple by comparison, there is only 3 things, the messages which you can't expand, the radar which is completely different, and the target info which is also completly differnt. ED has 6 panels with a lot more details in each one. You can access just about everything in ED panels, where majority of info content you must access from the "map menu" in x4.

CLAIM: sectors are stretched out more than X games prior (suggesting similary to ED??)

I'm not sure if this is a claim, but ED does NOT have sectors, it has "systems" - every planet and star can be visited.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:21

The flight model in X4 is too inaccurate and primitive to even think about drawing comparisons to ED.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Triu
x4

Post by Triu » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:28

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:15
Boringnick wrote:
Never played the other X games before so please forgive me if I say this doesnt feel like ED to me at all. As a person who put over 1k hours in ED, the flight mechanics are soooo different.

CLAIM: Landing procedure is the same

FALSE! ED landing procedure requires you request docking and you are not allowed to enter the docking hangar unless you have, otherwise you get fined. The docking hangars in ED are much, much bigger as well, with a tiny "mail slot" - they are also a LOT harder to land in.

CLAIM: Fast travel is same as "hyper drive"

FALSE! ED FRAMESHIFT DRIVE goes at an ever increasing speed the further away from gravity wells you are, X4 "travel mode" goes at a constant rate.

CLAIM: dashboards are very similar

FALSE! X4 dashboard is very simple by comparison, there is only 3 things, the messages which you can't expand, the radar which is completely different, and the target info which is also completly differnt. ED has 6 panels with a lot more details in each one. You can access just about everything in ED panels, where majority of info content you must access from the "map menu" in x4.

CLAIM: sectors are stretched out more than X games prior (suggesting similary to ED??)

I'm not sure if this is a claim, but ED does NOT have sectors, it has "systems" - every planet and star can be visited.
Bro X4 is just Dark souls, duh. (LOL,LOL,LOL) I agree with above points.

Ravenousw
x4

Post by Ravenousw » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:30

[/quote]
I agree with fuel management, if we could actually consume space fuel, would do some much for the economy. We need more taken away, so production can proceed.
[/quote]

Uhm...might just be that my memory shortcircuited some time during reading this thread, but isn’t the reason for space fuel being illegal in most of the universe that it’s a narcotic of some sort, not actual fuel? XD

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:30

jasonbarron wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:21
The flight model in X4 is too inaccurate and primitive to even think about drawing comparisons to ED.
+1

ED has an insane amount of depth in their flight model - which could be a deterrant to ED and why people might like X4 better. I personally like ED flight model better, but I still like X4 better as a game.

Triu
x4

Post by Triu » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:33

Ravenousw wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:30

Uhm...might just be that my memory shortcircuited some time during reading this thread, but isn’t the reason for space fuel being illegal in most of the universe that it’s a narcotic of some sort, not actual fuel? XD
I'm not sure about that since i'm new to the X series, so appologies if i'm wrong. But fuel in general would add a great need to the economy as a drain on it, to keep it moving.

Mavo Pi
x4

Post by Mavo Pi » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:33

Ravenousw wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:30

Yes, space fuel is a sort of liquor.
Last edited by Mavo Pi on Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:34

One last thing: ED enemy ships are by far harder to kill then X4 - they are harder to tail, employ a lot more complicated evasive manuevers. I personally have got rekt by ED enemy AI (1k hours in still) - however ED enemy AI was pretty bad at first, didn't get good until much more recent patches (years later after initial release)

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:34

Boringnick wrote:
X4 feels too much like Elite Dangerous.
only a bit, more like "an inspiration". And I don't see it as a bad thing.

I've waited 20 years until at least some games gets what Elite 2 did right and improve it. And countless "space-sims" later, it was Elite Dangerous who finally overcome Elite 2. Now I don't even hope any other game will make the space part at least that well, let alone improve it.

And all things you mentioned Elite does too well to even try to compare it with X4. The "X4 feeling", colorful backgrounds, a lot of stations everywhere, ships all over the map, more arcadey fights etc. is still the same as it always was in X games. Can't be mistaken :)
Last edited by Alci on Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X4: Foundations”