Too much like Elite Dangerous

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DMM
x4

Re: Too much like Elite Dangerous

Post by DMM » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:10

Over 2000 hours into ED myself and I can’t see the comparison.... 🤷‍♂️

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:13

Arghan wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:09
SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:08
Also, just want to point out, that I think X4 is more fun to play right now. While I miss the flight mechanics in ED, that's basically all there is to ED. ED is way too grindy, I dont miss the grind in ED at all.
+1, no questions asked. Elite beside flying mechanics has nothing going for it.

Edit: on the other hand - this one thing they nailed.
Yea my personal favorite flight-sim would probably fly like Elite dangerous but play like X4 :D

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:17

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:13
Arghan wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:09
SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Also, just want to point out, that I think X4 is more fun to play right now. While I miss the flight mechanics in ED, that's basically all there is to ED. ED is way too grindy, I dont miss the grind in ED at all.
+1, no questions asked. Elite beside flying mechanics has nothing going for it.

Edit: on the other hand - this one thing they nailed.
Yea my personal favorite flight-sim would probably fly like Elite dangerous but play like X4 :D
Same for me.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Drakuel
x4

Post by Drakuel » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:25

Thank god they are not the same or id be missing out on my X4 fun, cause unless you have no life except gaming mmo type games are just a massive time sink to get anywhere or compete..

I much perfer a single player game for this game, maybe co-op is accrptable but never mmo. Never played eve or elite, never will, just for the sheer fact you need to be online all the time to enjoy all the game has to offer, in X games I dont, the fun is there waiting for me to dig into it or continue it on my terms...

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:28

Drakuel wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:25
Thank god they are not the same or id be missing out on my X4 fun, cause unless you have no life except gaming mmo type games are just a massive time sink to get anywhere or compete..

I much perfer a single player game for this game, maybe co-op is accrptable but never mmo. Never played eve or elite, never will, just for the sheer fact you need to be online all the time to enjoy all the game has to offer, in X games I dont, the fun is there waiting for me to dig into it or continue it on my terms...
Not to mention we can mod X4 all we want as well.

Personally I play mmo and single games the same, I like both and no life both types of games. mmo isnt a deal breaker to me, and I also love PVP so our play styles are different. I'm happy that youre happy though! ;D

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:58

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
I completely agree. +1 :)
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:00

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:13
I'd buy that game. :)
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Drakuel
x4

Post by Drakuel » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:01

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:28
Drakuel wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 16:25

Not to mention we can mod X4 all we want as well.

Personally I play mmo and single games the same, I like both and no life both types of games. mmo isnt a deal breaker to me, and I also love PVP so our play styles are different. I'm happy that youre happy though! ;D
Good point on modding... Yes mmo's have there place for sure, just dont fit me, glad you can have fun with both styles, wished I had the time...

Far as pvp, I love pvp hence I thought a coop X4 would be cool, I coop total war and stellaris many single player titles and enjoy those pvp sessions a ton. The difference is we all start on a level playing field and noone gets advantage in game just cause they can play longer, so this style of pvp to me is far more rewarding when I win, even rewarding when I loose cause I learn that the other player had better tactics not longer playtime as his advantage.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:31

Also X4 has spacelegs and you can stick your own pic on your ship. I believe spacelegs was heavily begged for...in Elite?

Also X4 don`t charge for beta patches.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Arghan

Post by Arghan » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:33

Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 17:31
Also X4 has spacelegs and you can stick your own pic on your ship. I believe spacelegs was heavily begged for...in Elite?

Also X4 don`t charge for beta patches.
:lol: Nope, they charge for alpha game

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:00

They aren’t all that similar.

Both are very good games but have different strengths and weaknesses.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:31

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:15
Boringnick wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 13:59
X4 feels too much like Elite Dangerous. The landing procedure, the "hyperdrive" and the cockpit dashboard are very similar. The sectors are also way more stretched out than in any X games prior.
Never played the other X games before so please forgive me if I say this doesnt feel like ED to me at all. As a person who put over 1k hours in ED, the flight mechanics are soooo different.

CLAIM: Landing procedure is the same

FALSE! ED landing procedure requires you request docking and you are not allowed to enter the docking hangar unless you have, otherwise you get fined. The docking hangars in ED are much, much bigger as well, with a tiny "mail slot" - they are also a LOT harder to land in.

CLAIM: Fast travel is same as "hyper drive"

FALSE! ED FRAMESHIFT DRIVE goes at an ever increasing speed the further away from gravity wells you are, X4 "travel mode" goes at a constant rate.

CLAIM: dashboards are very similar

FALSE! X4 dashboard is very simple by comparison, there is only 3 things, the messages which you can't expand, the radar which is completely different, and the target info which is also completly differnt. ED has 6 panels with a lot more details in each one. You can access just about everything in ED panels, where majority of info content you must access from the "map menu" in x4.

CLAIM: sectors are stretched out more than X games prior (suggesting similary to ED??)

I'm not sure if this is a claim, but ED does NOT have sectors, it has "systems" - every planet and star can be visited.

A: Actually, very true. You still "request" docking in X4, it's just automatically accepted, and the station won't fire on you. The reason stations fire on you for not requesting docking permission and hanging around too long is because E:D is an an online game, it reduces trolling. The docking HUD is the same, the highlighted pads are somewhat similar (lights instead of a corona, but there's a ship hologram), the hovering glowing numbers are the same.

B: They are alike and different. The frameshift drive still accelerates to a point, just like the "travel drive." The FSD does go much, much faster, though. However, "hyperdrive" is another prospect altogether. Hyperdrive is like the jumpdrive from older X games, FSD and travel drive are like Freelancer's "cruise mode."

C: Again, the dashboard is very similar, although Elite's is more expansive. Center radar screen, messages in the lower right instead of upper right, and then non-interactive ship console stuff all around.

D: Sectors are essentially infinite, or at least larger than the hexagon. You can keep going, but you aren't likely to find much out there. At least, I haven't tried. Most of the action is in the center. So the sectors, are in fact larger. However, it doesn't encompass an entire solar system of seamless travel, like in E:D.

All in all, this game does feel more like Elite: Dangerous than an X game, at least to me. The heat-based weapons is a drastic change from classic power-generation system that each ship had, setting them apart. Used to be, you'd weigh options such as speed and turning radius against laser and shield regeneration. Now, the type of ship you get just determines how fast you wanna go. The weapons are also identical. Pulse lasers, beam lasers, Gatling guns, plasma cannons, missiles. It's pretty much E:D's ship load-out options.

I've also noticed how the Cerberus handles and sounds like a Type 6.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:42

ZombiePotatoSalad wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:31

A: Actually, very true. You still "request" docking in X4, it's just automatically accepted, and the station won't fire on you. The reason stations fire on you for not requesting docking permission and hanging around too long is because E:D is an an online game, it reduces trolling. The docking HUD is the same, the highlighted pads are somewhat similar (lights instead of a corona, but there's a ship hologram), the hovering glowing numbers are the same.

B: They are alike and different. The frameshift drive still accelerates to a point, just like the "travel drive." The FSD does go much, much faster, though. However, "hyperdrive" is another prospect altogether. Hyperdrive is like the jumpdrive from older X games, FSD and travel drive are like Freelancer's "cruise mode."

C: Again, the dashboard is very similar, although Elite's is more expansive. Center radar screen, messages in the lower right instead of upper right, and then non-interactive ship console stuff all around.

D: Sectors are essentially infinite, or at least larger than the hexagon. You can keep going, but you aren't likely to find much out there. At least, I haven't tried. Most of the action is in the center. So the sectors, are in fact larger. However, it doesn't encompass an entire solar system of seamless travel, like in E:D.

All in all, this game does feel more like Elite: Dangerous than an X game, at least to me. The heat-based weapons is a drastic change from classic power-generation system that each ship had, setting them apart. Used to be, you'd weigh options such as speed and turning radius against laser and shield regeneration. Now, the type of ship you get just determines how fast you wanna go. The weapons are also identical. Pulse lasers, beam lasers, Gatling guns, plasma cannons, missiles. It's pretty much E:D's ship load-out options.

I've also noticed how the Cerberus handles and sounds like a Type 6.
A: So we agree they're different?

B: No they are a lot different. As I said FSD cruise mode speed varies heavily depending on gravity wells, this mechanic is not in freelancer and its not in X4

C. Elite is more expansive, so we agree they're different then?

D. As someone who never played previous X titles, I believe you and everyone who says that it feels more like ED. But as someone who put over 1k hours in ED and not ever played previous X titles, I have a very hard time seeing how ED and X4 are similar. They seem sooo different to me.

Bellatormonk
x4

Post by Bellatormonk » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:47

ED was and is a borefest of flying, being interdicted non-stop and ship combat the devolves into endless circle strafing. The rest is all good except to do any of the rest you spend 90% of your time doing items 1-3.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:50

SpaceCadet11864 wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 18:42

A: So we agree they're different?

B: No they are a lot different. As I said FSD cruise mode speed varies heavily depending on gravity wells, this mechanic is not in freelancer and its not in X4

C. Elite is more expansive, so we agree they're different then?

D. As someone who never played previous X titles, I believe you and everyone who says that it feels more like ED. But as someone who put over 1k hours in ED and not ever played previous X titles, I have a very hard time seeing how ED and X4 are similar. They seem sooo different to me.
A: They still have more similarities than E:D and X3.

B: The how may be different, but the concept is the same. It's still a "go fasta" mode. Since X4 doesn't simulate gravity wells, the mode is more freeform.

C: By "more expansive," I mean there are two other screens to your left and right. It helps with immersion. X4 has this all in the map menu. They may present them differently.

D: I put several hundred hours into ED. ED focuses on presenting a more "realistic" spaceflight game, whereas X is an empire builder.
ED has system power balancing, ship heat, stress damage, all that stuff.
However, some of the presentation and mechanics are the same. That's all we're comparing.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:36

Yesterday’s big ED Update has added more interesting depth to things like mining and exploration. X can’t compete in these terms but ED has had years head start.

Where it doesn’t compete is the empire building gameplay rhe X series has.

One X streamer I watched put the diffrence like this. In ED you’re the anonymous guy sitting at the back of the bar watching Solo shoot first before quietly going back to your ship and gong about your business and that’s all you will ever be.

In X you quickly become Elon Musk with pulse lasers and a private Navy.

dijidiji
x4

Post by dijidiji » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:29

ED and X4 are super different. Namely, you can actually get something done in 20 minutes in X4, whereas in ED you'll be looking for USS in supercruise hoping to get something to spawn for at least 30.

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:37

still doesn't feel like in ED, docking MK II makes you just averagley bump into place and it docks for you.

but in the end, ED has all X hasn't and X has all ED hasn't. Merging the parts the other has would probably create the perfect Space game.
SpaceCake wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 14:05
Auto-pilot still makes your ship have an existential crisis every time it tries to navigate around stations and asteroids. It's very X-like in my book.
oh look, there is an astroid field, we gonna crash? We GONNA CRASH!!!!

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:44

SteveMill wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:36
One X streamer I watched put the diffrence like this. In ED you’re the anonymous guy sitting at the back of the bar watching Solo shoot first before quietly going back to your ship and gong about your business and that’s all you will ever be.

In X you quickly become Elon Musk with pulse lasers and a private Navy.
Lmao that's so good it almost rhymed.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 20:13

dijidiji wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:29
ED and X4 are super different. Namely, you can actually get something done in 20 minutes in X4, whereas in ED you'll be looking for USS in supercruise hoping to get something to spawn for at least 30.
I’m a fan of both games but it’s true. In ED you really have to graft for your gains. I’ve recently spent nearly 20 hours preparing a Guardian technology upgraded anti thargoid ship. Getting a couple of dozen blueprints from sites 800 ly from the Bubble, getting all the tech ingredients and running missions to get other materials.

In X I’d have a small battle fleet by now.

But a change of pace is nice. ED does overdo the grind, even so.

Return to “X4: Foundations”