[FEEDBACK] Explosions

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fazmaster
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] Explosions

Post by Fazmaster » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:36

Max Bain wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 20:50
WOOOW! Didnt know that the explosions looked that awesome!
They truly do. These shots have neither been taken from a specific angle nor in a very special moment. It just how it looks ingame. Fantastic!

Ship starts burning more and more after taking severe hits, getting covered in smoke, explodes sector for sector blowing hull parts in space and this ending up in a big explosion followed by a flashing emp shock vanishing your shields away if you stand too close nearby. And all that while the massive battle around you going on.

The mechanics are there. The game engine is there. It's "just" about implementation.

That said, I really appreciate that the main focus has been put in UI, scale, economy, faction wars and the many other improvements we can already see in X4!

Still enjoying X: Rebirth while waiting for the linux build :)

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 15:36

Agreed, FXs are very underwhelming in X4... These explosions effects are from like 80s... little puffs of fiery smoke and it's a wreckage... I guess something to look forward to in SC. They got the idea right and implementing it well too. But like people said, X4 is like X2 except modern graphics, but not modern effects at all.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

marksnake
x3ap

Post by marksnake » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:01

Hello

Yes, the current explosion effects are terrible...please devs, just put a little love in your game here. It´s a shame having these lousy explosions.

That said, thanks for the coming updates and DLC.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:14

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:15
Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 20:45
Just don`t have the wreckage vanish afterwards. I love good randomise detonations with secondary explosions of giant metal beasts- But I hate it when they vanish into completely nothing afterwards.
Which objects are doing this specifically?
Sorry, I didn`t see this question until now.

None of them are and I didn`t say any were. I`m just getting ahead of it before someone makes it happen to add more explosions. I`ve seen too many sci-fi games that just vanish away the destroyed ship. Very unimmersive.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:23

I agree that porting over the XR explosions at least (I hope you can port over even more content!) would be such a great improvement. Please do this, Egosoft!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:25

The more I play and get in to battles, the more I think this is an issue.

The battles feel a little less exciting and I think it's because of the lack of effects.

I really don't want to use the word stale, but...

DeFragMe
x4

Post by DeFragMe » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:27

bl3ek wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:25

The battles feel a little less exciting and I think it's because of the lack of effects.

yes.. killing ships just feels like iam cooking them, and not causing them to explode... but maybe we do this these days with our weapons. just a short "puff" and than a charred wreacked ship hits my hull and bounces off.

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:52

DeFragMe wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:27
bl3ek wrote:

yes.. killing ships just feels like iam cooking them, and not causing them to explode... but maybe we do this these days with our weapons. just a short "puff" and than a charred wreacked ship hits my hull and bounces off.
Fire after fire in to a larger ship equates to not much in the way of visual feedback. That really does drain the fun out of battles.

I think fighters have smoke trails when heavily damaged, which is nice, but we need to see bigger ships with fires, smoke, mini-explosions, visual failures, etc. etc.

Rebirth really did do that well and hopefully it can be cherry picked for these parts (explosions and effects).

DeFragMe
x4

Post by DeFragMe » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:56

bl3ek wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:52
DeFragMe wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:27
bl3ek wrote:

Fire after fire in to a larger ship equates to not much in the way of visual feedback. That really does drain the fun out of battles.

I think fighters have smoke trails when heavily damaged, which is nice, but we need to see bigger ships with fires, smoke, mini-explosions, visual failures, etc. etc.

Rebirth really did do that well and hopefully it can be cherry picked for these parts (explosions and effects).
yeah, for the bigger ships, but in X4 it kind of allways feels the same? no difference if i destroy a giant station , a XL ship or a S ship. Even the Moduls of a XL ship/station feel... boring ... to kill.

But yeah, at least the S ships have smoke trails, wich is funny.

karjak
x4

Post by karjak » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:05

After destroying a Xenon I i hit my trusters to get to a safe zone to not get hit by the blast, which was a bit disappointing since there was none :) so please devs if you could make it a bit shiny :)

Tomahawk-NYC
x4

Post by Tomahawk-NYC » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 15:24

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 19:05
Tomahawk-NYC wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 15:08
Yes, and randomize the explosions. LIke 5 different kinds, random etc. With some nice sound effects of course :)
Many of them include randomisation already.
thank you!!!!
John 21:25

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 18:19

tomchk wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:23
I agree that porting over the XR explosions at least (I hope you can port over even more content!) would be such a great improvement. Please do this, Egosoft!
This assets from rebirth explosions are in the game (there is a mod that brings them back, at least for L ships) so I hope its not that they left them there bc devs "lazy" rather they will implement them back after performance is flashed out
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 19:26

Buzz2005 wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 18:19
tomchk wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:23
This assets from rebirth explosions are in the game (there is a mod that brings them back, at least for L ships) so I hope its not that they left them there bc devs "lazy" rather they will implement them back after performance is flashed out
I can't speak for Egosoft (obviously), but it's most likely that the new explosion effects were created for long term purpose and are here to stay.

zebai
x4

Post by zebai » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 19:45

I would like to see a little more realism personally. An explosion in space should be more about the air/gas in the ship with bulkheads blowing out than a fireball. Fireballs would be brief and soundless but alot of debris being blow out. Although a true ship blowout in space would be very brief and visually uninspiring for a more entertaining option it could happen slower in multiple locations. I think it would be perfect if the ship with hull damage would show it visually along with air leaking from the hull of a still working ship.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 19:50

i agree the game is lack of Explosions weapons sound effects animations effect and this is a kickstarter game has 150% better effect what x4 has to offer ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXJnueIiPs) steel cracking when capitals ships go down aka sinking ships ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzdmLMKidM )

Dread Quixadhal
x4

Post by Dread Quixadhal » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 20:13

My favorite explosions are the ones from the Babylon 5 TV series.

Specifically, they factored in details like the color of the explosion being based on the race of the pilot and crew. Red-orange for oxygen breathers, green for methane breathers. Small ships tended to look like "normal" explosions as the atmosphere that allows combustion burst out in semi-random patterns as it snakes around the twisting metal of the ship that's breaking apart.

OTOH, big ships would explode in brilliant white globes of light, as their reactors went critical and created brief miniature suns that half melted the wreckage as the heat and hard radiation flooded outward.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 20:52

I must say that best ship explosions (in overall design and FX) I saw were the exploding capships in Freespace 2:
https://youtu.be/dRqn0hzoy4c?t=1260

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 21:32

here is the mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files

if current explosions are here to stay that would be just sad

what is so wrong with this:
https://i.imgur.com/DYgCkDe.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/g8UEoMk.gifv
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Kintanar
x4

Post by Kintanar » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 21:35

zebai wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 19:45
I would like to see a little more realism personally. An explosion in space should be more about the air/gas in the ship with bulkheads blowing out than a fireball. Fireballs would be brief and soundless but alot of debris being blow out. Although a true ship blowout in space would be very brief and visually uninspiring for a more entertaining option it could happen slower in multiple locations. I think it would be perfect if the ship with hull damage would show it visually along with air leaking from the hull of a still working ship.
Well, what is collapsing is the reactor core, the leaving spaces in the interior of a big ship are just a little percentage compared to the big machinery and components of the whole ship, so explosions from the air/gas in the ship bulkheads are negligible.

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 30. Jan 19, 21:42

Buzz2005 wrote:
Wed, 30. Jan 19, 21:32
here is the mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files

if current explosions are here to stay that would be just sad

what is so wrong with this:
https://i.imgur.com/DYgCkDe.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/g8UEoMk.gifv
wow i didn't know it existed ty :thumb_up: