How can I swap pilots?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tc1961
x3tc

How can I swap pilots?

Post by tc1961 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:14

I'm probably not understanding something but here is my issue. I have a mining ship and the pilot is 3 stars and I can auto mine with him no problem. I have a ship I want to use as a trader ship and when I buy the ship the pilot only has two stars and I don't have the option to auto trade. I don't seem to have the option to take the 3 star pilot and tell him to pilot the trading ship and have the 2 star pilot operate the mining ship. In order to get my 2 star pilot up to three stars I sent him out to explore and even though he is 2 star I can right click when the ship is in another sector and he can auto trade in the sector or in the galaxy. Also, how can I hire a manager for my PHQ, can't seem to be able to select anybody it won't let me, option is grayed out or they can't get there. Do I have to take them there? I tried making the pilot of my ship be the manager when he piloted and I rode along, but it won't let me choose him. seems a little screwy.

silenced
x4

Re: How can I swap pilots?

Post by silenced » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:44

Easiest way: Fire the pilot and hire a new one during the 'upgrade' screen. Rinse and repeat until you got a 3 or more star pilot.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 00:17

Dock the ship and tell the pilot to work somewhere else. Worked for me to assign the pilot I wanted.

If you promote a crew member to pilot, the pilot/captain will automatically be fired. So be careful with that option.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:29

They should have a demote "DumbAss" to Kitchen Wench option.

So silly how they have constrained so many options, especially with crew and orders, skills etc. Hopefully they add/fix these things

wowsiany
x4

Post by wowsiany » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:38

In this case i usually land both ships at a station. Then pull up the better pilot on comms and tell him to work somewhere else. Select the other docked ship you want them to go to, make note of their name too for convenience. Then pull up the information on the second ship, go to all crew and find the good pilot you transfered over, right click them and promote to pilot on that ship. You may want to move the 2 star pilot over to a different ship first or he could get fired in the process of replacing him. As for the station manager issue I fly the person to the station on my ship, dock, pull up comms for that person and tell them to work at the station. Works most of the time

wowsiany
x4

Post by wowsiany » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:40

Also im not 100 percent but for the station manager transfer it may be better to be docked at the station and sitting in the pilot seat. If you want to move the pilot to being the manager it probably hurts to have him busy piloting a ship at that moment, docked or not

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:43

It is a pain, but you eventually get used to it:

1. Find your 2* pilot in the full crew list. Select comms for them and order to work somewhere else. Select the 3* pilot's ship and select service crew as job.

2. Find you 3* pilot on the full crew list. Select comms for them and order them to work somewhere else. Select the 2* pilot's ship and select captain as job (it will be vacant now).

3. Select the (now) 2* pilots ship and find the 2* pilot in the full crew list. You can open up a crew members full list of skills to identify them if you can't remember their name. Once you've found them look for the promote to captain button.

It's a ridiculous palaver but it does (eventually) get the job done.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:05

Gregorovitch wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:43
It is a pain, but you eventually get used to it:

1. Find your 2* pilot in the full crew list. Select comms for them and order to work somewhere else. Select the 3* pilot's ship and select service crew as job.

2. Find you 3* pilot on the full crew list. Select comms for them and order them to work somewhere else. Select the 2* pilot's ship and select captain as job (it will be vacant now).

3. Select the (now) 2* pilots ship and find the 2* pilot in the full crew list. You can open up a crew members full list of skills to identify them if you can't remember their name. Once you've found them look for the promote to captain button.

It's a ridiculous palaver but it does (eventually) get the job done.
wowsiany wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:38
In this case i usually land both ships at a station. Then pull up the better pilot on comms and tell him to work somewhere else. Select the other docked ship you want them to go to, make note of their name too for convenience. Then pull up the information on the second ship, go to all crew and find the good pilot you transfered over, right click them and promote to pilot on that ship. You may want to move the 2 star pilot over to a different ship first or he could get fired in the process of replacing him. As for the station manager issue I fly the person to the station on my ship, dock, pull up comms for that person and tell them to work at the station. Works most of the time
Thanks for the tips

Return to “X4: Foundations”