The official wiki is one of the worst I've ever seen.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

quadrapod
x4

The official wiki is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Post by quadrapod » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:49

Basically no interlinking. Most "articles" are actually written to instruct the player rather than to inform the player indicating confusion on what a wiki even is on their part. The system their using doesn't allow wiki markup to be used and seems to automatically remove any hanging links, meaning it's difficult to plan future development with it. There's no categorization, and their template system is more or less completely static. The editor also takes a while to open just in general for every page.

I've worked on many wiki's before and am an active admin for a few of them. The in-game tutorials aren't very helpful, and the in game encyclopedia is pretty incomplete so I was seriously pretty willing to buckle down and extract game data and art assets so I could churn out articles over the next few months. I'd done just that previously with the Graveyard Keeper Wiki to the tune of about 450 articles and a few thousand pages, but the system seems to actively fight any effort to use it. It honestly is almost worse that it exists, since its mere presence discourages the creation of a fan wiki which doesn't have those issues.

darthraven
x4

Re: The official wiki is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Post by darthraven » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:57

So what your saying is the wiki takes after the game :P

But really people like you are awesome to put the effort into the game wikis, I always have respect for you guys. Hope your not too discouraged but honestly, with the way the game is, the wiki being like that is no surprise.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:02

Quadrapod you have all my encouragement :wink:

I always used external fan websites for documentation since X3 anyways

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 03:40

Tks Quad for your contructive critiscism. I'm only a mod for general editing purposes, but I can tell you that some of your complaints are technical problems/issues with the software used rather than generic problems; for those I suggest you contact Sparky (for mostly general problems) or Ego (for the tech side)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

quadrapod
x4

Post by quadrapod » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:34

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 03:40
Tks Quad for your contructive critiscism. I'm only a mod for general editing purposes, but I can tell you that some of your complaints are technical problems/issues with the software used rather than generic problems; for those I suggest you contact Sparky (for mostly general problems) or Ego (for the tech side)
Probably not as constructive as I was just annoyed I fear. I made this post after spending ages trying to get the system to work in any way that made sense and ultimately giving up on it. To clarify after the fact I'm really not trying to understate the contributions of yourself or anyone else who has tried to work within that system. More it's confluence itself that bothers me. It just does not seem fit for operating a player contributed wiki, even if as enterprise software it claims that to be within its capability.

arrowrl201
x4

Post by arrowrl201 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 05:47

It's certainly not impressive, but at least it's not hosted by Wikia and filled with advertisements for...weapon enlargements.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:20

quadrapod wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:34
More it's confluence itself that bothers me. It just does not seem fit for operating a player contributed wiki, even if as enterprise software it claims that to be within its capability.
I worked someplace for a few months that was using confluence... It did not impress me at all, being awkward to navigate and buggy to edit.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:13

arrowrl201 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 05:47
It's certainly not impressive, but at least it's not hosted by Wikia and filled with advertisements for...weapon enlargements.
Oi, this is X4 forum. Get your references straight. Those aren't weapon enlargements, those are water plant extensions!

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 15:28

quadrapod wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:34
Snafu_X3 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 03:40
Probably not as constructive as I was just annoyed I fear. I made this post after spending ages trying to get the system to work in any way that made sense and ultimately giving up on it. To clarify after the fact I'm really not trying to understate the contributions of yourself or anyone else who has tried to work within that system. More it's confluence itself that bothers me. It just does not seem fit for operating a player contributed wiki, even if as enterprise software it claims that to be within its capability.
They need to install a proper wiki and split each game into a subdomain. Just try searching for X4 only stuff *shudder*

At least Roguey is back, until we see Betty and the Encyclopaedia back online.

Sad part is ES is paying for that crud.
I exported it as PDF and also as HTML (XML is supported too), yet it doesn't include everything, there is no structure to the export. In the PDF version, even the pages are half missing, if they changed those to Landscape, the tables might actually be there in full.

Solution, either switch to mediawiki or setup proper templates, CSS, and export choices. Hell even a simple checkbox under search for selecting which version of X you're looking for.

Not a good image to help ES's reputation any, but I think it's possible to raise this and not capped to -5, maybe.

Let's see what they choose to do with this, we can only hope.

Return to “X4: Foundations”