I don't agree with the devs about universe size

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

csaba
x4

Re: I don't agree with the devs about universe size

Post by csaba » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:15

Totallly agree.

I have been following the asteroid trails but that’s about it and after the 5th trail ending in nothing you start to loose hope. Uneventful 2000 kms of some rocks and dust

Aside from asteroid trails the only thing you can do is send your ships on exploration. However they don’t mark anything on the map. At best they call in that they found an abandoned ship. This is an issue as some things like wrecks only show up in active radar. All in all we need better exploration tools.

A counter as you said would be great. Could be connected to some scan data.

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:54

Well, to be completely fair, a station 280000 km out would be screwed. You wouldn't even want your traders to trade with them, taking 2 days or so to reach.
They would have to pay ridiculous prices for the goods. IF there is anything out there it's not worth it. You don't have the means to make anything out of it.
Have fun: Gala Do.

Teleth

Post by Teleth » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:05

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:54
Well, to be completely fair, a station 280000 km out would be screwed. You wouldn't even want your traders to trade with them, taking 2 days or so to reach.
They would have to pay ridiculous prices for the goods. IF there is anything out there it's not worth it. You don't have the means to make anything out of it.
What if said things were the only way to produce superior equipment and ships or advanced capital weaponry? On that note, it'd be nice if we had long distance convoy fleets, although I'm not sure X4 traders understand time investment cost.

Arghan

Post by Arghan » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:23

dholmstr wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 10:05
I find this abit funny. First people complained about X:R didin't have the sectors like X3 to explore and the vastness, even tough you could fly out as far as you wanted (in both games). X:R was also to cramped with station and tight (bad for a even crappier autopillok) according to players. Now X4 has the space to fill. Station far apart, so far that people complain it's empty. It's space what did you expect?
You are right tou there is little to no point going "out there". And why should it? It's still just empty space. Look at the space between Earth and the moon, 300k km of nothing but some damn crappy mini satelites.
Were the systems more unique in X:R, yes imo. Were the systems more unique in X3...meeeh not really they were as much bland as right now.
And are you guys comparing X3 vanilla or TC with 50 updates and some addons against X4? I'm not saying X4 could not have abit more, it really should :)
Actually we complain because there is no reason to go there including lack of "because i need to get from A to B". Its not even empty space you don't have to even cross, its empty space which when deleted I would not notice (with exception of my miners probably complaining about lack of minerals - but this could just be resolved by multiple solutions).

There is nothing there. No gates, no hidden accelerators, no anomalies (afaik) nothing. If i would go up there and for some reason game decided that I no longer move, until i would open a map i would not even notice.

Hide some gates out there (for example to xenos space), hide some anomalies, hide some exists out of xenos space out there, hide some content, anything.

Its even worse than No man sky "vastness". No man sky has something beside "space" to fill it and with a bit of (okey, tone of) luck you can find something interesting. We have nothing really.

Elite has planet scanning. Elite has cash for exploration (benefit and reason to go there). Even if 90% of star systems are the same boring stuff, you have a chance of finding something (not better than winning in nation wide lottery, but it exist). We got empty space.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:31

There's significantly more weird stuff to find in the far corners of sectors in X4 than there has ever been in previous X games.

But... no there's nothing game changing out there. That isn't how X games work. If you want random novel things to find, well, there's quite a few of those scattered around and some of them can make you money too. But there's never going to be hidden routes to places or lost sectors because the AI can find those too and you will notice the traffic leading to them.

But if you want weird things to look at, there's quite a few of those in the remote sectors in X4, and there's data vaults to find and collect money from, the occasional rare pirate station to find. If you haven't found any of that then your problem is more likely that you aren't looking far enough.

The only thing they could put there is more empty sectors for the player to find, but if that's what you're unhappy about then, well, I dunno what you want?

Phoynix
x4

Post by Phoynix » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:34

They need to add pirate bases far out that produce fighters/mediums and are next to wormholes...

Have the wormholes randomly "jump" across different systems allowing pirates to attack trade routes.
hell you could even have an entire plot line where shipping is being murdered across the Galaxy and the pirates need to be dealt with because they have wormhole controllers...

Then exploring further from the trade lines would actually make sense...
Also weapons... they need new weapons that are really unique to each race and actually make it possible to store them so you can discover "loot" and give pirates unique ships.

Add Xenon "mobile" production yards where the Xenon start multiplying in a system and you need to explore and take them out or they overrun the sector.

The no jump drive and bottleneck systems cause a real wars and econ to fail and exploration to be rather pointless, knowing this they compressed all the stations and stuff down... leaving empty space, then they added cruise drive and highways to further make the game feel small.

I will go back to the loot system... X4 did away with weapons and so the only real "loot" that can be left for the player is ships... even then they could add 1 off ships like a light fighter that has an extra shield or gun etc. X3 for example wasn't defined by loot, but it was defined by a vast amount of interesting weapons and ships that meant you could spend a long time hunting and boarding a capital ship, then further hunting down enough weapons to fill its turrets. This was completely done away with in X4 and was one of the great joys of X3, it can be summed up as "working for it" you dont need to work for anything in X4 and the "surprises" ain't all that worth it, Player HQ could even be included in that.

Universe feels small is the short version, long version is it fills small because all the reasons above and more.
Teleth wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:05
Ghalador wrote:
What if said things were the only way to produce superior equipment and ships or advanced capital weaponry? On that note, it'd be nice if we had long distance convoy fleets, although I'm not sure X4 traders understand time investment cost.

Arghan

Post by Arghan » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:44

Chris0132 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:31
There's significantly more weird stuff to find in the far corners of sectors in X4 than there has ever been in previous X games.

But... no there's nothing game changing out there. That isn't how X games work. If you want random novel things to find, well, there's quite a few of those scattered around and some of them can make you money too. But there's never going to be hidden routes to places or lost sectors because the AI can find those too and you will notice the traffic leading to them.

But if you want weird things to look at, there's quite a few of those in the remote sectors in X4, and there's data vaults to find and collect money from, the occasional rare pirate station to find. If you haven't found any of that then your problem is more likely that you aren't looking far enough.

The only thing they could put there is more empty sectors for the player to find, but if that's what you're unhappy about then, well, I dunno what you want?
I know they are out there. But as far as i know, they are all in initial zoom in of the sector (or very close to it). Please, do correct me if I'm wrong. I hope I am. But this is my point - anything else out there, outside of the initial zoom radius is completely of no consequences, excluding what my miners are doing. Infinite (or close enough that it doesn't matter) resources are the ONLY reason why this feature has even ONE function in game.

This is why IMHO expanding sector visible border/zooming out it, could be deleted without real consequences.

Edit:
Last save I had few scouts on perpetual expanding sectors job. Took 3 and worked them out.
I've learnt that one of "whole red" sector have actually perfect full circle of red, which is limited. And beside that nothing. Empty. Void.
Sure, If I took player ship, probably some ships would be teleported to me thanks to scripts. But my AI scouts? Nope, void.
For the note - I think in two cases I think I've at least doubled radius. I would expect to find less and less the further I go, but still find something. I found nothing.

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:55

More sectors is nice, but more sectors + more factions is better, Would be nice to have "real" space pirates, sectors with full pirate economy or factions like the YAKI and the Goners etc... it makes the world feel more diverse and we could have some more action..
They say you can play as a pirate, but it's not true, you can't because if you start raiding the other factions you won't be able to build stations or even buy ships and upgrades, the game would be a pain in the ass because there are no real Pirate sectors, not even pirate ships... it's extremely disappointing but at least I hope modders will make some pirate factions and ships...
Right no they are no "real" pirates, just 3 factions and the Xenons with no real economy, the kha'ak don't even count as they are just useless I don't even understand why put them in here, they should just get rid of the kha'aks as tehy give them 0 love. its just so that people don't complain that they are no kha'aks in x4 ...

Ghalador
x4

Post by Ghalador » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:56

Teleth wrote:
Ghalador wrote:
Dude this is not even made for you exploring 5000 km out. You won't be able to see the fricking original sector anymore without using a magnifying glass!
I would very much love long range convoys that you have to protect and stuff but ... this ain't I-Wars.
Have fun: Gala Do.

Teleth

Post by Teleth » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:04

Ghalador wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 11:56
Teleth wrote:
Ghalador wrote:
Dude this is not even made for you exploring 5000 km out. You won't be able to see the fricking original sector anymore without using a magnifying glass!
I would very much love long range convoys that you have to protect and stuff but ... this ain't I-Wars.
It's not like they can't add zooming/panning to individual hexes, if it doesn't already exist. Why have expanding sectors at all if it remains basically unused? I'm not saying it has to be absolutely 280,000km out from the center - just that we could have some gameplay mechanics for more distant and interesting longterm play.

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:30

SparvieroGed wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:37
Arigon2001 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:30
I completely agree with OP. However I am optimistic that in time we'll see plenty of expansion sectors opening up in addition to what the modding community adds to the experience. Ultimately I want to feel like I did in Albien Prelude. I still feel that the highway system should have never been kept in X4 either (just throwing that out there).
Highway/superhighway are the best thing happened to X games....they improve so much the level design. They were implement better in Rebirth. The big ring in X4 is a completly waste of the highway potential.
I don't disagree, But Highways in XRebirth was one of the major complaints so rather than standing by their design they folded and went with how they did it in the expansions, because the vocal people left liked those more for some reason. And while they were alright, i loved how the Superhighway winded around areas of space.
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Bozz11
x4

Post by Bozz11 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:35

Also you could unleash the Xenons in a bigger universe as it would take time for them too really cripple a faction, right now losing 1 systeme would already cripple a faction a lot even more than 1 faction specially if its one of the sectors part of the Ring like Hatvikla, as a lot of ARG, TEL and PAR ships gfo through that systeme.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:52

For me the biggest universe is still that of X3TC, the Kh'hak had their sectors, each faction had its own, the number of sectors was huge. For me it is not important the size of the single sector, but the quantity of them and their belonging, which adds variety to the game. With this premise I really hoped, and I hope one more day to see more clusters in X4 than sectors in X3. This is the point with the size of the universe.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:59

Yes, the X4 universe is much smaller than X3.

The X4 hexes are much the same as the X3 sectors, a similar number of stations and similar time to cross - with travel mode and highways. However with around a quarter the number of such 'sectors'. Plus the 'Great Circular Highway' really makes everything seem smaller, really wish they had not done this.

I actually prefer the X4 hexes individually but think the way the sectors are joined together is preferable in X3. But this should be taken subjectively.

I even prefer the XR universe construction, as there 'Gates' felt much more important.

SparvieroGed
x4

Post by SparvieroGed » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 13:38

Matterom wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 12:30
SparvieroGed wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:37
Arigon2001 wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 04:30
I completely agree with OP. However I am optimistic that in time we'll see plenty of expansion sectors opening up in addition to what the modding community adds to the experience. Ultimately I want to feel like I did in Albien Prelude. I still feel that the highway system should have never been kept in X4 either (just throwing that out there).
Highway/superhighway are the best thing happened to X games....they improve so much the level design. They were implement better in Rebirth. The big ring in X4 is a completly waste of the highway potential.
I don't disagree, But Highways in XRebirth was one of the major complaints so rather than standing by their design they folded and went with how they did it in the expansions, because the vocal people left liked those more for some reason. And while they were alright, i loved how the Superhighway winded around areas of space.

Yes...in Home of Light I remember there was already a big ring. In fact I played just few hours in that sector.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:58

The hexes seem to expand out to about a 5000-6000 km radius. Takes forever to scout with NPCs. IF for god's sake they find something they don't mark it so you can only maybe guess something is there cause there is a mineral patch far away, but it's most likely just a bunch of rocks in the middle of nowhere. Wrecks, lockbockes etc don't show up unless you have active radar present so good look finding anything with the explore command. You'd need to watch the map for 24hours in SETA to catch something they fly by.

Takes the player even more to long range scan each part, absolutely impossible for a sane person.

Flown out 10,000 Km following an asteroid field in Nopelios II the map bugged out and showed the ship in a different sector. Haven't met anything but rocks, dust and the teleporting enemies. The asteroid field didn't end there my nerves did.

If they want us to explore the sectors fully they need to give us the tools to do so.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:10

csaba wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:58
Flown out 10,000 Km following an asteroid field in Nopelios II the map bugged out and showed the ship in a different sector. Haven't met anything but rocks, dust and the teleporting enemies. The asteroid field didn't end there my nerves did.
I wonder how much damage its doing to the economy, all those ships randomely getting yanked to your position thousands of kilometers out of the sector (Encounters need to be removed).

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 18:39

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 17:10
csaba wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 16:58
I wonder how much damage its doing to the economy, all those ships randomely getting yanked to your position thousands of kilometers out of the sector (Encounters need to be removed).
Yea I do recall some ARG L miners popping up 3000 km out in a different sector. I was wondering why my miners still made money yet noone is at war.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 19:06

Completely agree with OP - Ive said it repeatedly before: what they did (increasing distances, but adding travel speed modes) is just thinning out the universe to a lower density. This means 2 things - more ships required to fill it with life (which they cant do because performance), and more objects (amount cubically increasing with sector width, which they didnt because performance), required to keep the same visual density as old games. They skipped adding more objects - so there is a whole lot more of nothingness that provides no interesting gameplay whatsoever.

X2 and X3's universe feels cozy. You often see most of what is inside a sector (there are exceptions of course, such as nebulae or the very large sectors) - and this way it never feels like you are alone in home sectors, even if you are at the fringe of that sector. While in large sectors, esp. near borders, you can feel the emptyness. By decreasing object density (by making everything larger and ships faster) you will always feel sort of lonely.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 19:38

It has the same as in X3, vast space, some stations far away near the edge, roids with value.
Plus some anomalies and data vaults - every other sector i take a look around in i keep running into these things. And a scanner to look around in like a 100km radius. And travel mode to not pull out your hair while getting there. And teleport so you don't need to sit through the way back (though why would you come back the same way - if you go another route you just continue the exploration).
Actually each sector is like an X3 one near the centre with some more things to find around.

There could be even more, but saying X3 was bigger in experience is weird for me. I haven't even finished exploring and station count is already higher then in X3, and i have run into more interesting things then X3 had to offer so far.

Return to “X4: Foundations”