X4 Version 2.0 Beta 4 is now available

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

HBK
x4

Re: X4 Version 2.0 Beta 2 is now available

Post by HBK » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:28

kobayashimaru wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 21:28
Has anyone else noticed that Xenon Ks are now way too powerful against capital ships? I mean, I support the effort to make Xenon an actual threat, but I just saw a single K destroy my colossus in 20 seconds. It depleted colossus' shield so fast I thought I was holding the boost key. My behemoth afterwards perished in 15 seconds and it barely took 10 % of the K's shield off. Isn't that a "bit" exaggerated? Or is something wrong with my installation? I removed all the mods.
It’s not the Ks, it’s the Xenon L turrets, they do way more effective damage than anything the former Commonwealth can come up with. Like, their theoretical DPS is more than 5 times the Commonwealth PPC (their strongest weapons). Just raw numbers. Except Xenon L turrets despite their shorter range can actually hit stuff (way higher projectile speed), resulting in a single Xenon L turret being able to melt almost anything within seconds whereas a pack of Commonwealth destroyers will take about a minute to kill a single capital target.

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:39

Then it's shouldn't be too hard to fix.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:43

Forum Members - "Xenon are too easy! This whole game is too easy! Make em tougher!"

Also Forum Members - "Xenon are way too difficult! This isn't right!!"

Makes me laugh.

I agree it sounds like they were over-tuned, but it made me laugh hearing how much of a joke they were for the first month or two... and now they're not a joke at all. Just straight up murder machines...

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:54

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:43
Forum Members - "Xenon are too easy! This whole game is too easy! Make em tougher!"

Makes me laugh.

I agree it sounds like they were over-tuned, but it made me laugh hearing how much of a joke they were for the first month or two... and now they're not a joke at all. Just straight up murder machines...
Well, the joke's on us. It's true they were very weak and now they are too powerful. Additional adjustments are needed.

HBK
x4

Post by HBK » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:04

They’re not "too powerful" OOS. That’s the problem. It’s only in-sector that they’re ship melting machines.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:04

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:43

Makes me laugh.

Once the board xenon mod comes out you can laugh again then probably if it's really like what people say..

I think it's just sad if ES can't balance the game and oscillates between extremes instead.
Though i don't play the betas so it might be just the initial surprise until people find their way again.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:47

Definitely prefer Xenon capitals the way they are now - bloody scary, but can be killed relatively quickly with the right approach & appropriate tools.
For me that's a capital ship of my own (Condor V in current game) to do the heavy lifting, while I snipe at turrets in a nippy little M class (currently a heavily modified Peregrine V). Mildly terrifying to know that if the Xenon takes too much of interest in me I'll be toast, but that just adds spice to the encounter.
Anyway, if things get too intense there's always that Condor to hide behind (front of it even looks like a shield).
As far as I'm concerned they got the balance just about perfect.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 04:15

Gotta make the K deadly somehow. It still has that giant blind spot on its back, turrets easily destroyed, and can be sniped outside its range by destroyer main guns.

Solus
x4

Post by Solus » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 08:20

I wonder why the type-I didn't get the huge buff and the K just a little one? This is not Dark Souls - difficulty should be in the thinking parts of the game (making money and wares) rather than the shooty parts. If it's true that the danger comes only in sector and OOS the K is still easy then that's a mistake. Encourages players to spend all their game time looking at blue and red symbols rather than strapping into the pilot's seat and experiencing the action.

Also not a fan of "sledgehammer" adjustments to balancing anything to an existing game, discourages time investment in a game that could radically morph into something you don't like (is frustratingly difficult) on whim. Add incrementally and build on better AI or increase numbers of opponents. Just adding an arbitrary 700% (or whatever it is in beta 2) to damage dealt (and halving income from ware sales) is a bit fourth wall breaking.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 08:27

pref wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:04
I think it's just sad if ES can't balance the game and oscillates between extremes instead.
I don't have time to participate in the Betas, but where it comes to balancing games in general it is a tricky business overall - especially with something like X where there are many different variables to consider.

In general, I think developers like Egosoft should ignore those that complain about things being too easy overall - especially in the context of games like the X-series. Some apparent balancing issues can be due to other bugs (e.g. AI) rather than weapon/shield balance. Try to change both at the same time and you would not know for sure which is the primary cause, this unfortunately is the main mistake most developers make when trying to appease those complaining. They should concentrate on the key control and AI issues then only look at shields/weapons if necessary AFTER those changes have been reviewed by those complaining.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

caltrop
x4

Post by caltrop » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 09:58

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 04:15
Gotta make the K deadly somehow. It still has that giant blind spot on its back, turrets easily destroyed, and can be sniped outside its range by destroyer main guns.
Exactly this - my experience with the new Ks is that it’s situational - get on the wrong side of them and too close and they are fatal.

Very quickly you learn not to do this at which point they become manageable. Their dual nature makes them a more interesting opponent imo ^_^

Reminds me of the old Khaak clusters...
Last edited by caltrop on Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 09:58

I have no problem killing them OOS. Is how I do most of combat in X4.

HBK
x4

Post by HBK » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 10:05

sh1pman wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 09:58
I have no problem killing them OOS. Is how I do most of combat in X4.
Which is not how it should be. OOS combat should reflect in-sector combat, and vice-versa.

Edit:
Solus wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 08:20
I wonder why the type-I didn't get the huge buff and the K just a little one?
Xenon I have hard time hitting targets due to their insane turning rate and turret placement (the most glaring issue is that most of their turrets are often actually "moving" at a higher speed than their own turning rate can keep up, due to them being at the tip a this very long ship).

But get in range of one of their three-turrets batteries and you get insta-melted.

Horux
x4

Post by Horux » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 11:19

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:47
Definitely prefer Xenon capitals the way they are now - bloody scary, but can be killed relatively quickly with the right approach & appropriate tools.
For me that's a capital ship of my own (Condor V in current game) to do the heavy lifting, while I snipe at turrets in a nippy little M class (currently a heavily modified Peregrine V). Mildly terrifying to know that if the Xenon takes too much of interest in me I'll be toast, but that just adds spice to the encounter.
Anyway, if things get too intense there's always that Condor to hide behind (front of it even looks like a shield).
As far as I'm concerned they got the balance just about perfect.
I disagree, it is balanced if I put a K and a faction destroyer in a empty sector controlled by AI and it will end in a tie or one of them will hardly survive. But at the moment a K can just run through the faction space and kill everything, at least if you in sector. It will never be balanced if only the player can kill the enemy effective.

Also I have a problem with your description, if a K can kill an argon carry in 20s how is a teladi carry an effective hiding spot?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:04

Horux wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 11:19
Also I have a problem with your description, if a K can kill an argon carry in 20s how is a teladi carry an effective hiding spot?
Because it's lasting longer than 20 seconds, a lot longer. So far it's always won & has only encountered serious problems if it's outnumbered, or if attacked by a second K while it's shields are still recharging from the last one. Condor's loadout is 12xM Plasma & 1xL Beam (good for rapid subsystem destruction). Also has a set of 3 docked Pulse-turreted Osprey Sentinels providing anti-fighter defences, so the Condor's own turrets can be employed entirely for anti-capital work. Have lost a few of those Ospreys but it carries 3 spares in internal storage.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:22

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:04
Horux wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 11:19
Because it's lasting longer than 20 seconds, a lot longer. So far it's always won & has only encountered serious problems if it's outnumbered, or if attacked by a second K while it's shields are still recharging from the last one. Condor's loadout is 12xM Plasma & 1xL Beam (good for rapid subsystem destruction). Also has a set of 3 docked Pulse-turreted Osprey Sentinels providing anti-fighter defences, so the Condor's own turrets can be employed entirely for anti-capital work.
If the Teladi carrier is that much stronger than an Argon carrier, then we have a serious balancing issue here. Argon carrier is destroyed in 20s but a Teladi carrier always wins? This warrants a bug report (if true).

The Xenon ships can do with more firepower but, simply buffing up their L turrets this much is not a solution. It has "band-aid fix" written all over it (especially considering the massive difference between IS and OOS efficiency). In fact, it does not provide actual challenge, it just feels like someone tried to make a badly balanced damage mod or applied a cheat to the incorrect weapon. It also makes the AI look more stupid because with such extreme L turrets at the front, it's imperative to approach it from the rear or top. The AI still just charge in head-on.

Xenon L turrets can indeed do with a bit of a buff but, what they really need to make them properly challenging is to add 2-3 additional L turrets, especially on the blind spots, and give all turrets some more hull strength so fighters don't destroy them as easily.
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:47

EmperorDragon wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:22
If the Teladi carrier is that much stronger than an Argon carrier, then we have a serious balancing issue here. Argon carrier is destroyed in 20s but a Teladi carrier always wins? This warrants a bug report (if true).
Have not tried Colossus in 2.0 (started new Teladi game as soon as the 2.0 beta became available) so have no experience as to how they perform against 2.0 Xenon capitals. Though did have a lot of fun with one in my previous game. I am however sceptical about this 20 second claim, they're not all that much weaker than Condor with regard to hull & shield strength (Colossus in my previous game actually had ~10% stronger shields than my current Condor IIRC).

Guess a lot depends on loadout & whether the ship can kill Xenon capitals efficiently, without taking excessive damage in the process (longer battle = more damage and/or lost subsystems). Have noticed that the symmetrical placement of turrets on the Condor does allow a greater degree of coordination between turret groups - often a good 2/3 of the guns on Condor can be focused on a single target. Suspect that even though it's turrets are weaker than those on a K, it is often simply outgunning the K by sheer weight of numbers - from some angles (flanks etc) K can only bring a couple of it's L turrets to bear & those can be swiftly eliminated, either by myself, or Condor's L beam turret (seems to be quite efficient at that).

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 18:19

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:47
EmperorDragon wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 12:22
Have not tried Colossus in 2.0 (started new Teladi game as soon as the 2.0 beta became available) so have no experience as to how they perform against 2.0 Xenon capitals. Though did have a lot of fun with one in my previous game. I am however sceptical about this 20 second claim, they're not all that much weaker than Condor with regard to hull & shield strength (Colossus in my previous game actually had ~10% stronger shields than my current Condor IIRC).

Guess a lot depends on loadout & whether the ship can kill Xenon capitals efficiently, without taking excessive damage in the process (longer battle = more damage and/or lost subsystems). Have noticed that the symmetrical placement of turrets on the Condor does allow a greater degree of coordination between turret groups - often a good 2/3 of the guns on Condor can be focused on a single target. Suspect that even though it's turrets are weaker than those on a K, it is often simply outgunning the K by sheer weight of numbers - from some angles (flanks etc) K can only bring a couple of it's L turrets to bear & those can be swiftly eliminated, either by myself, or Condor's L beam turret (seems to be quite efficient at that).

Yea 20 seconds is completely unbelievable(to me)...ESPECIALLY since the Colossus has 1 more shield slot than a Condor for some motherhugging reason even though the Teladi are supposedly the tankier faction of the 3 in the game atm.. Condor is HELLA weak compared to a Colossus (even though I love it the most).

And in damage they are also pretty much EQUAL if you look at the target correctly.

For a Condor you want to do a broadside (which is what AI does now))..you on average get 8M and 1L to fire iif done correctly, sometimes maybe 9.
For a Colossuus you want to point your nose "below" the target so 8M and and 1L will always hit. Large targets can be pointed at horizontally and then even some lowerside turrets will hit.

I've yeete to lose a carrier to a 2.0 Xenon K...I take SOME damage for sure, but I simply tell my Condor with Swarm Missiles and L Laser turret to target the L Turrets that are pointing at me first...after that it's just a floating hunk of metal.

Only way I can explain it would be if the Colossus was fit with all laser weapons which is incredibly silly if you want to use the Carrier as an attack vessel.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: X4 Version 2.0 Beta 3 is now available

Post by CBJ » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 18:23

The damage for Xenon turrets has been toned down a little in the latest update, which is now available. It is still higher than in 1.60 but a little less extreme than in earlier 2.00 builds.

HBK
x4

Re: X4 Version 2.0 Beta 3 is now available

Post by HBK » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 18:38

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 18:23
The damage for Xenon turrets has been toned down a little in the latest update, which is now available. It is still higher than in 1.60 but a little less extreme than in earlier 2.00 builds.
I might have been lucky with my testing run, but it feels way better now. You can take 11 behemoths and assault a shipyard and while you’ll suffer heavy losses, it’ll feel like a proper battle and not some weird Benny Hill sketch.

For the record, Xenon turrets still hurt a lot. But that’s it, they "hurt a lot", they don’t wtfpawnbbq everything within range.

Nice change :thumb_up:

Return to “X4: Foundations”