Resupply ship vs Carrier

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Max Bain
x3ap

Resupply ship vs Carrier

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 09:00

I somehow dont understand the difference between them both. Isnt a carrier a big resupply ship?
Shouldnt a carrier and resupply ship rearm and repair docked ships and work as mobile base for smaller vessels? As long as that does not work fully automated I dont see a real purpose of them except maybe they will be buffed to flying fortresses but this would be a bad workaround for making them useful and they should get a different name and description, dont you think so?
Maybe smaller ships should not be able to jump through gates or use travel speed, so if they are docked they got a nice travel speed bonus at least?

I guess that the Resupply ship works like a fitting dock where the player can change his modules, but shouldnt a carrier be able to do the same?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

consiefe

Re: Resupply ship vs Carrier

Post by consiefe » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 09:12

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 09:00
I somehow dont understand the difference between them both. Isnt a carrier a big resupply ship?
Shouldnt a carrier and resupply ship rearm and repair docked ships and work as mobile base for smaller vessels? As long as that does not work fully automated I dont see a real purpose of them except maybe they will be buffed to flying fortresses but this would be a bad workaround for making them useful and they should get a different name and description, dont you think so?
Maybe smaller ships should not be able to jump through gates or use travel speed, so if they are docked they got a nice travel speed bonus at least?

I guess that the Resupply ship works like a fitting dock where the player can change his modules, but shouldnt a carrier be able to do the same?
Carriers are big and sluggish, well at least they are supposed to be slower. With the M sized resupply ships we can easily make them dock any station and transfer the necessary materials to the carriers as fast as possible. Carriers then can rearm, repair -if there would be a ware which is needed for repairs, I think there should be-, resupply ships inside of them. I think they should have the ability to change guns and other modules as well, especially softwares which I purpose to have different behaviour softwares which unlocks some behaviour rules for the ship roles like range, target size, engagement etc.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 09:56

As much as I know there is no auto rearm/repair... so are you talking about what you wish or do you have more deep information about the future?
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Mon, 11. Feb 19, 10:04

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 09:56
As much as I know there is no auto rearm/repair... so are you talking about what you wish or do you have more deep information about the future?
No, there is not. But concerning the roles of carriers, I don't be surprised if capitals gain some more extra features. Resupply ships will resupply ammunition and what else, is it all the purpose they have? It shouldn't be. The ships should need more things to give meaning to those resupply ships.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 14:15

consiefe wrote:
Mon, 11. Feb 19, 10:04
Max Bain wrote:
No, there is not. But concerning the roles of carriers, I don't be surprised if capitals gain some more extra features. Resupply ships will resupply ammunition and what else, is it all the purpose they have? It shouldn't be. The ships should need more things to give meaning to those resupply ships.
What would you suggest they include?

Personally I'd like to seem the as a multirole purpose such as Crew transfers, and then have a secondary role as a small transporter to move medical supplies and food maybe. Would be nice to see them have a couple/few repair drones that could support in that capacity as well.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 21:13

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 14:15
consiefe wrote:
Max Bain wrote:

Personally I'd like to seem the as a multirole purpose such as Crew transfers, and then have a secondary role as a small transporter to move medical supplies and food maybe. Would be nice to see them have a couple/few repair drones that could support in that capacity as well.
I'd like to see carriers need some common ware to do some repairing. It can be limited to %70 of the hull of on board ships. Maybe it can also be tied to softwares, maybe to the crew skill, maybe both. So as they need ware(s) to do repairs, resupply ships can then supply those materials to the carriers. On board retrofitting can be brought to the table, changing the loadout. Carriers should be "the home" for the ships which they have and relying on them for mostly fighter defense while maintaining a strong posture against other capitals.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 19:35

consiefe wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 21:13
shealladh wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 14:15
consiefe wrote:

I'd like to see carriers need some common ware to do some repairing. It can be limited to %70 of the hull of on board ships. Maybe it can also be tied to softwares, maybe to the crew skill, maybe both. So as they need ware(s) to do repairs, resupply ships can then supply those materials to the carriers. On board retrofitting can be brought to the table, changing the loadout. Carriers should be "the home" for the ships which they have and relying on them for mostly fighter defense while maintaining a strong posture against other capitals.
Nothing better than the captain turning to you with a definite glare, "I said fire torpedoes, DAMN IT!".
You look at him and reply, "but captain, the system is doing an upgrade and I cannot fire until its finished".
After that, they decided to try Linux....

Good points, seen may a post about adding more "wares" for this sort of thing, yeah sure it might add grind, but depends on how you look at it. For me, it grows the economy and expands things to do along side it.

If we're speaking on Carriers alone, they are the home away from home, never return to port :D

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 20:04

I think the main difference will end up being ability to rearm/re-equip smaller ships on the go vs firepower.

If I'm not horribly mistaken the resupply ships have less firepower in total?

Not that it matters too much....I'm still hoping for Ego to enable the launch tubes/ramps that are visible on all carriers to be made functional when resupply ships arrive...then their advantage would be firepower + nearly instant deployment of fighter squadrons.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 20:06

Max Bain wrote:

Resupply ships are not true combat vessels, think of them like the refueling tankers and ammo trucks that roll with a military convoy.

Carriers on the other hand are combat vessels, their role being to take carry forces from point A to point B and then support them in a military engagement.

In the context of X4, Destroyers could also be considered a form of carrier but the carrier is more distinctive with it's ability to more quickly deploy and recover the ships it carries.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 20:17

Shehriazad wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 20:04
I'm still hoping for Ego to enable the launch tubes/ramps that are visible on all carriers to be made functional
From my experience, they are functional what may not be working well is the AI regarding launching internalised S-Size fighters.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 21:21

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 20:06
Max Bain wrote:

Resupply ships are not true combat vessels, think of them like the refueling tankers and ammo trucks that roll with a military convoy.

Carriers on the other hand are combat vessels, their role being to take carry forces from point A to point B and then support them in a military engagement.

In the context of X4, Destroyers could also be considered a form of carrier but the carrier is more distinctive with it's ability to more quickly deploy and recover the ships it carries.
In real world, carriers usually refuel and rearm their aircraft. Can’t see why this shouldn’t be a thing in X4 too.

Maybe add this functionality to other L ships and stations as well. Not quite an equipment dock functionality, no hardware changes. Just consumables and maybe crew. Possibly repairs, depending on carrier crew skill.

Return to “X4: Foundations”