100 Million to 1 Billion Credits, How?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

Re: 100 Million to 1 Billion Credits, How?

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:52

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 22:09
I'm nearing 400 hours now on my save, and I've not seen any slowing down, any stalling due to lack of use. I've not seen factories filling up, unable to sell their wares.
Might also be related to how much you build. And also if you are willing to rely on NPC production with your own.
I had simply no demand for hull parts or claytronics except for trade docks, but after consuming serious 100k's of each with building this will most likely change for a while.
Universe must have been near saturated truly as it took nearly no time until NPCs delivered me 800k hull parts, and i can now resell at least that amount as my hull part modules are starting up.
So what was probably the best activity i had in the game so far creates the demand which will result in another station build soon.
Ofc i could go around destroying stuff, but this is way more to my liking, and i still have to steal a couple 10 ships to get support for the station.
By the time the station finished building it made 100+m, and i never gave the manager a single credit, the docks got built in the last 20% of the process and it had no trade ships of its own.

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 06:11

grapedog wrote:
Kazuma wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 03:44
X4 does not utilize profit motivated rational agents. It creates credits from thin air. This is a fact of the game. It's not an interpretation.

Where do you think money in actual real life comes from? At one point when we actually used the gold standard money had backing, but it doesn't anymore. All money now is pretty much fictitious... but everyone agrees with the fiction. If you fabricate too much, you end up like zimbabwe.

I'm nearing 400 hours now on my save, and I've not seen any slowing down, any stalling due to lack of use. I've not seen factories filling up, unable to sell their wares. I've got probably 250+ ships at the moment running around, though a large chunk of them are tied to my now 25+ stations.

I would agree in one aspect of the economy not working. There are not near enough money sinks in the game. The problem you run into is how to you create sinks in the game that are reasonable to mid-late game players like myself, apparently you, and others who have multi-billions of credits... ad balance that versus the guy/gal who just started the game, and has 3 auto-miners they worked really hard to get going.

I guess I'll also agree on the fact that it's not a "real economy", it IS a video game economy. What are you expecting from a video game? I've yet to see another game that handles an economy as well as the X series does in general, while also allowing the player to take such an active role in it, or no role at all. All/most video games have infinite cash, because to put limits on it would be silly and un-fun. Very very few games though allow the player so much hands on control of an economy, if they want it.
So on the topic of currencies, I certainly agree to the point that the physical cash moola' money is a product of pure imagination, backed by belief that it is legal(ally) enforceable debt marker. Historically as governments collapsed it's currency goes right down the toilet along with it and durable / perishable goods prices sore. The strong correlation is that the enforcement aspect has tanked, therefor the belief that the debt marker can be "called in" to exchange for goods also tanks.

We could look at something like the Metro or Chernobyl/Stalker series and see that ammo is the "gold standard". The natural idea here is to "fix" the value on something a majority of rational agents will agree upon 'has value'.

As far as X goes, it's perfectly "ok" for the X game as a credit chit for "work done" - "remuneration owed".

You have brought up a good point, the one concerning the ware sinks. As you said, and we certainly agree very few games attempt to simulate the in's and out's of economic ebb and flow to any real degree.

Soooo, I think I need to articulate my thinking on this a little bit better; as the previous poster commented...

Some background:

The available bulk economy of X does "grow", but it is quite slow.

The bulk ware sinks are the ships lost; the last patch or two actually put a scalar value in which multiplies this sink at the docks. That is that it cost the NPC factions more wares than it previously did (by a fairly hefty factor) to build the same items (including refitting ships). The secondary sinks are the trade stations for consumable 'soft' items. There was already a patch which heavily beefed up the cubic storage space on all these stations to compensate for the larger sink rates.

The real indication that something wasn't right / was never right, was that these docks could easily fill the wares up but not of the correct ware and "lock out" ship building entirely. Actually had this happen once to some ships which were "locked" in a PAR station, requiring another patch to 'cancel' a build / refit.

Additionally there was a patch which "fixed" traders from buying high and selling low, or only making small amount trades (which is still does en'masse)

From where I am sitting this isn't so much of a fix, as it seems intentional to have traders all over the place with measly ware amounts going to and fro' to give the player a sense of "things happening" in the universe. It's just that this shortcut code was also used in the PC auto traders as well as station traders.

Back to ware sinks:

Now the option that is explored and does exist in the mods is just to increase these aforementioned scalars so that the hole is bigger to get the items out of circulation.

Much like the transfer of ownership of the station building missions (to me) are a no-fix, increasing the sinks (to me) is also "going into the wrong direction".

Where I am going to go with this is in the "choice" and "consequence" of the actions a player makes which make up the game play. While X seemingly offers near infinite amount of choice, I would argue that the consequence of those choices in actuality contribute very little to anything remotely resembling an actual consequence therefor there is really no decision process involved.

That is to say, that while you can 'build anywhere' there is very little reason to believe that whatever you build won't make money... or at a minimum churn to break even. So there is no risk involved. There is no real decision to make, because there are no real consequences.

Once one gets to where one is trading in every market, there will be that point where the closed system only rises and falls based on the pseudo random conflict initiator script between the factions or a xenon incursion. The xenon incursions may as well not even be in the game... the impact is so marginal.

Anywho, we increase the sinks; ok fair enough, this puts more wealth into the players pockets, so the player continues to expand and eventually catches up to the sink attrition level... the only thing that has happened is that the players economy has more credit depth, but the interactivity of the economy hasn't changed not one iota.

THAT in a nutshell is my point. You get richer quicker, but so what? Where does the wealth take you?

The players greater wealth puts more player ships in the game, which hits the overall performance of the game, each ship being added reduces the importance of the previous ships, the player simply grows geometrically rather than linearly because the sink scalars set the rate at which the player CAN grow.

It is all player centrist as that is the only entity which uses credits.

In fact, I very much doubt Egosoft really wants to do this; because it just accelerates the rate at which the player can consume the credit gated content. Which means they end up on a "power creep" / "cost creep" expansion content scheme / road map rather than producing "more interesting" content.

This is due to all the other economic factors being very 'fixed'.

Conflicts are limited, stations are not destroyed in these conflicts, trade routes are never cut off, there are never any more than a couple dozen (at most) ships lost in a conflict. Trading docks are also fixed at a scalar sink, so that is static.

All these player ships are now a game play penalty because of the limited interface, limited systems to migrate crews, limited systems to manage ships; and the whole thing just turns into a cluster f**k sooner rather than later.

Like I said before, there is nothing you are going to do with 1 billion credits that you couldn't do with a couple hundred million. Even building stations, you won't be able to spend all the money faster than you make it, maybe you can produce in parity in a self sufficient loop... but without the player shipyard, that's pointless.

... and at best, that enables the take over the X verse game play end game... which is a foregone conclusion as you should be able to field several dozen destroyers and walk all over the NPC factions with less than a billion credits... thinking you can field 42-ish destroyers at a billion credits...

Now in your case specifically, with 25 stations, I HIGHLY suspect your buying in most of your construction wares, which is actually driving the circulation in your economy. If you where to build most if not all your own wares, the economic "freeze" would happen at an accelerated rate. Because your the games biggest consumer is why you have not made a couple billion yet. Your consuming all the wares. Can't get rich if your writing all the checks.

To me it makes more sense to have a more complex set of rules governing the exchange of wares, rather than sinking endless wares to inflate the players wallet.

The old term 'ludo-narrative-dissonance", comes to mind. That is, it makes little to no sense to fabricate ware materials in Argon space, transport them 2 jumps way to a HOP dock, for them to make ships, to kill Argon with, and take absolutely no penalty (as the player) for doing so. Essentially selling arms to both sides of a conflict. Comfortably maintaining a perfect relationship with both.

Now what sense does that make?

It's a fundamentally broken system. About on the same level as playing as Link in Zelda and touching lava and loosing half a heart. Yes, for sure, it's a game, not a hard core simulation. It's in this same sense that X is a game, not a hard core simulation.

THAT to me IS the fundamental problem. The economic system we do have, is so primitive and under-developed that ware sink is, the only short term option. Simply because the more robust and interesting aspects of an economy / trade simulation simply don't exist.

For a great example of this done right, check out Star Traders Frontiers. Old review before it was released...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJxmand-0Go

The ideas seem to be there:

Thing is, with the skill books, and the crew running around, the idea for the game to be more than what we have already seems to be there. Just very little of it was actually completed. I figure the game we actually got was maybe... 60 percent done? Maybe?

Now don't get me wrong, at 400+ hours I got my monies worth. I'm just not holding my breath that X becomes anything more than what it is, today, for at least another year if it ever gets there.

By then I'll have my Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlords and very likely not care. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYIR1lZVaE
Last edited by Kazuma on Sun, 17. Feb 19, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 08:45

X-Tie wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 02:57
Just run SETA overnight and you'll have your 1 billion if you're making good hourly profits.
This has never been an advisable practice since SETA has always had a bit of a habbit of resulting in a messed up simulation state when used for long periods of time (e.g. several hours overnight).
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 09:39

I have 1000+ Steam recorded hours in-game (over 38d 9h of in-game time) and have a number of facilities scattered across the universe (all except one in free to claim sectors).

Most of my stations are startup facilities of one sort or another - self-sustaining habitation complexes with plenty of docking facilities and room to add production later.

My only small plot stations is a mostly self-sustaining habitation/defence platform (only requires water and does not produce drones/missiles currently) which evolved from my first mission station. I have only built one other station as a result of a build mission and that has been established as one of my start-up outposts.

I have over 3.5 billion worth of station assets as a result of my building efforts but only 3 of my current stations are generating more than a smidgen of credits and 1 of them is currently a credit sink both in terms of operation and construction. The credit sink station has an exceptional level of storage capacity of 96M (32M container/32M solid/32M liquid) and is almost certainly still in the process of filling up and construction is in the final stages of building self-sustaining excess habitation ready for the addition of ship construction/repair facilities when V2.0 lands (assuming such facilities can be added to it - half the 20km x 20km x 20km plot is practically unused).

My biggest earner is a station that deals in 41 of the 42 legal wares (no swamp plant production) and is located in sector (0,0) - currently my only station outside of player controlled space funnily enough. It's primary role from my perspective was to operate as a trading station and as a result has the most ships overall working for it (including 10 M-size auto-trading transporter ships).

Across all my stations I try to avoid dynamic ware pricing and run as follows:-
  • Energy cells - Normally leave on automatic since production outstrips my demand normally (get very few traders in this ware)
  • Liquid/Solid resources - fixed average price
  • Intermediate wares - In most cases fixed to buy at (2*min+1*max)/3 and sell at (1*min+2*max)/3 (fixed average price for both buy and sell in the exception cases)
  • End Product wares - mixed policy but either fixed average price or (1*min+2*max)/3 is common (one or two exceptions may still be on automatic pricing)
I rarely if ever use SETA and have not noted ANY real issues with demand slowing down. It may be worth noting that I do have some free roaming traders too (1 M-Size Auto Trader operating in Antigony Memorial, and 2 more running Distribute Wares). If I halted my building endeavours and let the credit sink station stabilise I reckon my net-income would be of the order of 10-15M Cr/hr.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 13:45

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 09:39
I rarely if ever use SETA and have not noted ANY real issues with demand slowing down. It may be worth noting that I do have some free roaming traders too (1 M-Size Auto Trader operating in Antigony Memorial, and 2 more running Distribute Wares). If I halted my building endeavours and let the credit sink station stabilise I reckon my net-income would be of the order of 10-15M Cr/hr.
Are you sure about that? My station networth is only 260 million at the moment but I am making on average about 9 million per hour just from my PHQ complex (no illegal wares, just a kind of supermarket store. Self-sufficient of course, and it has an army of 31 trading / freight ships).

If you're only making 10 - 15million per hour, let's say we stay conservative and use 10 million as our figure you'd need 350 hours of gameplay just to break even - assuming we consider networth is equal to initial investment, which it isn't... That's an awful ROI, might as well not build any stations with those kinds of profits! Is it because your economy is dead that your profits are so low? I used to be making very little cash from my stations until I heavily tweaked pricing and added on more station traders.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 14:56

X-Tie wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 13:45
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 09:39
Are you sure about that? My station networth is only 260 million at the moment but I am making on average about 9 million per hour just from my PHQ complex (no illegal wares, just a kind of supermarket store. Self-sufficient of course, and it has an army of 31 trading / freight ships).

If you're only making 10 - 15million per hour, let's say we stay conservative and use 10 million as our figure you'd need 350 hours of gameplay just to break even - assuming we consider networth is equal to initial investment, which it isn't... That's an awful ROI, might as well not build any stations with those kinds of profits! Is it because your economy is dead that your profits are so low? I used to be making very little cash from my stations until I heavily tweaked pricing and added on more station traders.
The vast majority of my station building asset value is probably in the defence measures and docking facilities rather than production modules. 10-15M Cr/Hr is not that bad on balance and that is not taking into consideration that most of my stations are in less than ideal sectors for trading opportunities. The largest part of my current profit margins is from my complex located in sector (0,0) and that is around 10M/hr (IIRC) when I am not leaching wares off of it for my other construction projects. The profit aspect does not take into account how much I may be profiting from producing and effectively stock piling various wares required for station construction, if I lowered some of my sale prices I could probably turn a greater profit but it would be difficult to assess exactly how much until I have truly completed my construction efforts (which will not be for at least a few game weeks by my estimate). I have at least 5 major build projects in the works with the primary goal not being to make profit per se but rather to establish a strong basis for ship and station construction.

Some complain about markets grinding to a halt when they saturate the supply of specific wares but IMO they are part of the problem - station construction is not just about making money in X4 but also about establishing control points. ALL of my stations for example include at least one Administrative centre and most have 100's of turrets of one form or another.

Adding more ships to some of them will almost certainly make them turn a greater profit than they do currently but for the time being I am happy with the current ROI.

350hrs when I have invested probably 2-3 times that building to this point is not that an unreasonable rate of return.

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 16:08

Sat, 16. Feb 19, 14:56

Some complain about markets grinding to a halt when they saturate the supply of specific wares but IMO they are part of the problem - station construction is not just about making money in X4 but also about establishing control points. ALL of my stations for example include at least one Administrative centre and most have 100's of turrets of one form or another.

Adding more ships to some of them will almost certainly make them turn a greater profit than they do currently but for the time being I am happy with the current ROI.

350hrs when I have invested probably 2-3 times that building to this point is not that an unreasonable rate of return.
It's just that to get to 1 billion credits like this will... take a while :P and since this post was about going from 100 million to 1 billion I was wondering what you were suggesting. I totally get what you're trying to do though, and I think you'll be needing mods to make your build fun because in the game's current state there is no threat big enough to challenge you. You'd need a venture invasion force from another player for a challenge :lol:

When I was talking about ROI though, I was talking about pure cash investment and not the time it took you to build it. But as you said, you didn't really build your complexes as profit generators - at least for now. That's what makes the X games fun: you set your own goals :mrgreen: have fun dude!

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 16:37

X-Tie wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 16:08

When I was talking about ROI though, I was talking about pure cash investment and not the time it took you to build it. But as you said, you didn't really build your complexes as profit generators - at least for now. That's what makes the X games fun: you set your own goals :mrgreen: have fun dude!
The actual cash investment is not reflected by the actual station asset value though, I can not be 100% certain how much cash v. resources I have invested in my building efforts BUT I would wager over half of it was actually my own resources. I had invested in Hull Parts, Shield Components, and Turret Components quite early on and Energy Cells are practically free flowing. Advanced Electronics was also a relatively early investment. The only bits I have really needed to buy are Claytronics and Field Coils but at this point in time I have 2 sources of each (separate complexes).

Overall though, the bulk of the estimated 10-15M passive income is likely to come from one particularly well placed station - the station in sector (0,0) and that station has probably already earned more than I invested in it in terms of either cash or resources for my other projects. Becoming a multi-billionaire in assets is relatively easy (without relying on exploits) if you plan your building wisely. I could quite easily up that income with other in-game activities just by engaging with the game - the fact that my build projects are currently causing (at least UI) freezes of 5-15 minutes or longer at the end of at least some of the build stages is irritating and slows down my progress but I do have a build target that I wish to get to before V2.0 lands notionally later this month.

As for enjoying the game and challenge - there is an element of challenge in the game as it stands, not everything is about combat and personally I find those complaining about "lack of challenge" irritating. There are certain things I agree need to be addressed but the weapon and shield aspect of combat balance is not part of that - nor are Xenon/Kha'ak aggression levels.

In terms of credits, I have probably earned at least a billion if not ALOT more than that over the life of my current playthrough - it is just I reinvested it. It is relatively quick and easy to build a 10M per hour complex and with judicious engagement in trading and other activities you can earn that many times over. The precise nature of the activities will vary from game to game but the key point is to keep an eye out for the opportunities and capitalise on them - this is little different really from the situation with any other X-game.

Engage in certain exploits, and the credits can come in faster still but I am not advocating that particular approach.

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 17:32

Sat, 16. Feb 19, 16:37

The actual cash investment is not reflected by the actual station asset value though, I can not be 100% certain how much cash v. resources I have invested in my building efforts BUT I would wager over half of it was actually my own resources. I had invested in Hull Parts, Shield Components, and Turret Components quite early on and Energy Cells are practically free flowing. Advanced Electronics was also a relatively early investment. The only bits I have really needed to buy are Claytronics and Field Coils but at this point in time I have 2 sources of each (separate complexes).

Overall though, the bulk of the estimated 10-15M passive income is likely to come from one particularly well placed station - the station in sector (0,0) and that station has probably already earned more than I invested in it in terms of either cash or resources for my other projects. Becoming a multi-billionaire in assets is relatively easy (without relying on exploits) if you plan your building wisely. I could quite easily up that income with other in-game activities just by engaging with the game - the fact that my build projects are currently causing (at least UI) freezes of 5-15 minutes or longer at the end of at least some of the build stages is irritating and slows down my progress but I do have a build target that I wish to get to before V2.0 lands notionally later this month.

As for enjoying the game and challenge - there is an element of challenge in the game as it stands, not everything is about combat and personally I find those complaining about "lack of challenge" irritating. There are certain things I agree need to be addressed but the weapon and shield aspect of combat balance is not part of that - nor are Xenon/Kha'ak aggression levels.

In terms of credits, I have probably earned at least a billion if not ALOT more than that over the life of my current playthrough - it is just I reinvested it. It is relatively quick and easy to build a 10M per hour complex and with judicious engagement in trading and other activities you can earn that many times over. The precise nature of the activities will vary from game to game but the key point is to keep an eye out for the opportunities and capitalise on them - this is little different really from the situation with any other X-game.

Engage in certain exploits, and the credits can come in faster still but I am not advocating that particular approach.
It is indeed difficult to figure out what the building cost of each station is since it depends on how much it cost you to acquire the materials needed to build it. I'm actually quite curious to know how the game calculates that station networth, haven't really looked into that yet. However even if you supplied the resources, there is still an opportunity cost tied to that so it isn't really "free" as such. I used to go for fully self-sustaining complexes, but now for smaller ones I actually purchase all primary resources at rock bottom prices which actually has a lower OC than if I were to produce these resources in-house. It also has the advantage of stimulating the economy a little since mine is quite stagnant. Only possible for smaller complexes because larger ones gobble up way too much for the AI to keep a regular supply from what I've experienced. Unless you have a fleet of subordinates.

I've noticed that due to the strange trader AI from station subordinates and other ships, station placement seems to have a really big effect compared to the X3 games for example. Note that the achievement is 1 billion IN THE BANK, so we're not talking about total assets here. Indeed, it's quite easy to get to the 1 billion mark in assets in 1.6. Those freezes are pretty intense... Does that occur only when IS?

As for the challenge part, what I mean is that your stations sound like overkill for anything the game can throw at them right now. However I have to disagree with you regarding the Xenon and Khaak which are both so underpowered right now that they might as well not be part of my universe... I haven't even seen a Xenon I yet, even though I regularly patrol borders and Xenon sectors. Glad to see this will change with 2.0. Also in terms of large-scale combats, there is a lack of challenge at the moment but that will also change soon enough. Shielding is fine, but weapons still need some work and we need more options as right now the arsenal is severely limited. Missiles... Everyone knows the issues and I'm sure that will be addressed very soon. The good thing about X games - and this one is no exception - is that combat is only one aspect of the game and there are so many goals you can set for yourself that you can always challenge yourself. And I've set quite a few that will keep me busy for a couple hundred hours more :mrgreen:

I wouldn't recommend exploits either, that tends to ruin the satisfaction of achieving things the way they were meant to be done. Especially if it's to make money since it is so easy to do so...

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 18:27

X-Tie wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 17:32
I've noticed that due to the strange trader AI from station subordinates and other ships, station placement seems to have a really big effect compared to the X3 games for example. Note that the achievement is 1 billion IN THE BANK, so we're not talking about total assets here. Indeed, it's quite easy to get to the 1 billion mark in assets in 1.6.
My point was that passive income from stations is not the only way to accumulate the cash required for the achievement, though IMO the achievements in general are moot. They can all be achieved given enough time, and even if it were to tak 350hrs this is not an unreasonable period of time for an X-game.

As for station placement, it is not due to strange AI but rather the fact that we do not have jump drives any more thus location has become more significant.
X-Tie wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 17:32
Those freezes are pretty intense... Does that occur only when IS?
Nope - they started with 1.60 as far as I can tell and v2.0 allegedly will fix the issue.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 20:41

grapedog wrote:
I guess I'll also agree on the fact that it's not a "real economy", it IS a video game economy. What are you expecting from a video game? I've yet to see another game that handles an economy as well as the X series does in general, while also allowing the player to take such an active role in it, or no role at all. All/most video games have infinite cash, because to put limits on it would be silly and un-fun. Very very few games though allow the player so much hands on control of an economy, if they want it.
Any good 4X RTS worth its salt has resource limits (such as cash) which affect both the player AND the AI. In X4 and every other previous X title, credits are limited to the player only. I know X4 is not a 4X RTS, and not everyone would want that. But personally, I would prefer if it had more of a 4X RTS feel, where players and AI factions/NPC were operating by the same set of rules, which includes limited funds. As long as it was balanced by some source of unlimited funds, as in income from taxes which go to the sector owners.

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 04:47

X-Tie wrote:

Nothing to be irritated about. The game just isn't all that challenging (to me at any rate). That said, the word "challenge" is a rather ubiquitous term. I think we can all rationally agree that what different people find rewarding and by that token the reward of dopamine triggered by what a person perceives as a "triumphing over a challenge" is going to vary quite dramatically between people.

What I found most "enjoyable" about X, and the previous titles was working through its systems and pushing them till they break. As I tinker with it, making notes... I'll engage in a dialectic to determine if I will do any mods or rework the material to something more suitable for my taste, but that will have to wait until they "finish" their game.

Now I could say that a lot of the challenge I did experience was in wading through the waste deep jank of the game... but I am a bit of a masochist.

If I just want to get "worked over", I'll go play Star Trader Frontiers, Endless Space 2, or Dirt Rally 2 on the 25th (weeeee) on the harder difficulty modes.

... on the topic of the X4 'economy' if we are calling it that... I have noticed a trend in this thread that seems to be station centric... while I have a dozen or so station / complexes... I also have around 100 or so ATs... which is very likely contributing the behavior I experience in my game... I just didn't want to make some credits... I wanted to see what the maximum credit income achievable was... or at least an obtainable approximation. The stations all have more than enough ships to capture any lingering business using the hook and anchor method for all neighboring sectors.

The only way I see going any further is to begin eliminating, at regular intervals, the NPC trade ships replacing them with my own... or sabotaging production chains...

So to circle back to the word challenge. I don't feel that X4 presents me with any particular problems for which I am having to adjust a strategy to. There is very little in the way of skill based game play. So once one explores all the sectors and underlying systems I guess it gets boring. Or that awful time you purchase your first L trade ship and realize just how underwhelming they are in the context of the game your playing.

I guess there is 'some challenge' to be had in trying to make it work, but it is also (at least fair) to say that sort of challenge isn't from intentional design but rather the lack of it.

Heck my most 'memorable' moment in X4 was capturing a player venture XL, which to my knowledge, makes me the only person outside of the development circle to do so.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 07:32

Kazuma wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 04:47
X-Tie wrote:

Nothing to be irritated about.
There is when it results in Egosoft (in this case) engaging in change strategies for the baseline experience that more appropriately would be the purview of community developed mods.
Kazuma wrote:
Heck my most 'memorable' moment in X4 was capturing a player venture XL, which to my knowledge, makes me the only person outside of the development circle to do so.
Since the largest ship a player can send on a venture is M-sized ships without some form of modding or hacking it sounds like Egosoft need to tighten up on their venture code. Personally, I deplore Egosoft's X-Online initiative in general, I think X-games are a poor fit for the MMO ambitions that Egosoft have held for so long.

But back on topic...

The fundamental reason for the focus on stations for income potential is because essentially (once set up) they generate income passively and without user interaction.

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 04:29

Sun, 17. Feb 19, 07:32
Kazuma wrote:

Nothing to be irritated about.
There is when it results in Egosoft (in this case) engaging in change strategies for the baseline experience that more appropriately would be the purview of community developed mods.
We can certainly agree on this point. Case in point, I mentioned the power creep that is inevitable with the economy changes. Which is certain to impact future content and DLC. That being said, I suppose where we are going to differ is that I have no reason to believe that the game is in any way shape or form "done", other than it was sold as a "released" product.

I have had this discussion with folks both here and on Steam, that X4 may have been in a better bargaining position with the user base if it had gone into early access as opposed to a full release. Mind you the X fan base are a resilient and patient lot, and the devs dropping some roadmap videos did a lot for brokering customer good will.

Be that as it may, I find the problem here being that the game is simply not done, so much so that it is hard for me to discern the place holders from the actual pillars of the mechanics. So you may say that you like 'thus and such', I may say, 'I am not even sure that was how it was ever supposed to be'.

As one poster once asked... "Does Egosoft even play their own game?!", and I responded, "well no, of course not, at least not in the sense of a fresh start through an entire campaign, when some fundamental mechanic is changed which has permutations and ramifications throughout an entire play through."

So with this "agile" release (very common nowadays), I believe it to be entirely reasonable to expect ES to adapt their product to the whims and caprices of data mined from the player base. Hence why I won't bother sitting down trying to mod it until 3.0.
Kazuma wrote:
Since the largest ship a player can send on a venture is M-sized ships without some form of modding or hacking it sounds like Egosoft need to tighten up on their venture code. Personally, I deplore Egosoft's X-Online initiative in general, I think X-games are a poor fit for the MMO ambitions that Egosoft have held for so long.

But back on topic...

The fundamental reason for the focus on stations for income potential is because essentially (once set up) they generate income passively and without user interaction.
Well, it is their IP to do with as they please. As cliche as it sounds, all one can really ever do is vote with their wallet. I didn't buy X-Rebirth as I wasn't interested in being locked to a single ship. Game may of been made with unicorn farts and wrapped in gold dust, but I'll never know, because 1 - ship. :D I mean... in my X3 game I'm hauling around in a Narn Heavy Cruiser, escorted by Last Starfighter Gunstars / Star Furies and A - Wings. 1 - Ship just isn't going to cut it.

The micro-transaction economy has set massive profit records and I can't blame any developer for devising some revenue stream along those lines to get their cup into the seemingly endless cash flow.

I mean at the end of the day, I'm not going to begrudge someone for trying to make as much money as they can. Like anything though, burning down the player base is a part of that gamble. That is ES's risk to take.

There are a LOT of amazing games out their to play, (Just recently starting playing Kingdom Come Deliverance), and X competes with all that. It competes because it is sold in the same vending machine with all the other games. Steam / Epic / GOG / Origin... just to name a few.

I think a lot of this negative blow back (personally) comes from that old "game are art" garbage that was being pushed by Bioware and EA. While game studios certainly exploit the talents of many wonderful people, they are not art works... they are wealth extraction devices sold as entertainment.

If you get something out of the experience great, if you never even installed it, that's great too; because they got your money either way.

Heck one of the best things I can say about X4 is that it is, for all practical purposes, remarkably stable; until you push it... even then it is still relatively stable, as the end user experience crumbles along an inverse log scale before the stability monster really comes out.

On the topic of stations... to me... I dunno, there was clearly a lot of work put into creating stations from X3... which was a poop-show to say the least without external software to align the dern things.

Stations are certainly the way to go to get into power trading. Of course my issues with stations and trading remain the same, there just isn't enough underlying rules / mechanics / risk of loss to tickle my brain pan.

I found myself compensating for the downright weird mechanics of the game, rather than doing what I wanted to do (or rather what I 'would of thought') would of been the optimal setups.

I absolutely despise the super-highways existence. All sectors are 100 percent light... so energy trading is pointless other than with the NPC stations. There is the old 'nod' mission to track down a Xenon with space weed in it's holds... I am not even sure that mission is doable, unless the mission spawns in the Xenon...

Don't want to turn it into a rant... like I said before, got my monies worth... expect a year or better before the game really resembles anything that is on the white board in the offices. :o

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 08:34

Kazuma wrote:
Tue, 19. Feb 19, 04:29
Agile and game design have no place outside of pre-release, adapting a live product to the whims of whining entitled kiddies is the worst practice that has become common amongst some parts of the modern gaming industry. At least a few games have been ruined for me personally because of certain developers adopting this practice. Not all change is good and Agile is the worst thing to happen to the software industry in general - IME often it is applied poorly, for the wrong reasons, and/or used as excuse to not do certain things properly (if at all) that should be done regardless of the process you use.

Egosoft have always worked their product after release, but the released weapon/shield/ship balance has typically been mostly unchanged after release - rebalancing of such things have typically been left to the modding community. They should have stuck with this policy and ignored those complaining.

As for placeholders, X4 has none as such the game is actually complete in terms of being a product bar actual-non-subjective-bug-fixing/QA which is in the worst state I have seen with any prior Egosoft product. There are natuirally some things that will improve over time such as command and control but the fundamental mechanics and general approach are likely to be unchanged - at least in terms of not being replaced, just built on.

I don't disagree that X4 was released too early for it's own good but that does not mean that Early Access would have been the right thing for Egosoft to do either. Egosoft have their DevNet community to make use of pre-release should they choose to. Early access like agile, are not necessarily good vehicles for product development.

As for doing as they please with their IP, there are limits to that once a product has been released - imposing certain changes on the consumer can be seen as changing the form, fit, and/or function of the product and thus at least technically breach trading standards (or similar regulations).

As for content levels and DLC, the vast majority of complaints about it are totally unjustified but not unexpected given the rise of entitlement in modern society as a whole.

This is all on the most part irrelevant to the matter at hand though.

Return to “X4: Foundations”