Do station modules need to be attached to work?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Do station modules need to be attached to work?

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 10:14

pref wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 00:24
linolafett wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 11:29
Modules do not need to be visually connected to work.
Only exception are the venture modules.
Oh really? You mean we can just leave out any connection components and have the same functionality?
I easily have 5x the amount of connections then actual prod/hab/def/storage modules. Did not dare to start build so far if i could not move around the whole structure by dragging the "root" element.
I can imagine it would help performance quite a bit not having a couple 100 connectors around.
Sometimes they are needed for precise placement for aesthetic reasons, but i could just remove the connectors once all modules are in their intended place.

That is actually neat idea - if connectors are not needed then why bother? They just useless junk on the screen and on the module list.
I'll try with my next station to make connector-free complex.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 10:50

repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 05:19
Imo this is an oversight. Why bother using connector modules then? I mean, at all!
A simple answer would be pure aesthetics.

A better and more logical answer would be to make mass-traffic unnecessary. In a station with multiple unconnected module clusters the flow of mass traffic should (if it does not already, but I believe it does) affect the relative productivity of the clusters. Disrupt flow of mass traffic between the clustters and production should be impeded.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 14:50

Hahaha daaaamn! You learn something new every day in this game :mrgreen: !!

Horux
x4

Post by Horux » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 14:59

Actually I do not like the idea that no connectors a neccessary.

I heard, read somewhere, obviously wrong, that their are neccessary only for production modules. And that would make the most sense for me. People can get with mass traffic from one station to another. But all the production flow handled with mass traffic? As Roger L.S. Griffiths said this should then reduce productivity.

Pichu0102
x4

Post by Pichu0102 » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 14:40

repatomonor wrote:
Imo this is an oversight. Why bother using connector modules then? I mean, at all!
Visual appearance. Plus putting down a bunch of unconnected modules causes lag in build planning as it keeps seeing a bunch of possible places you could connect things and drawing lines to them.

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 16:30

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 10:50
repatomonor wrote:
A simple answer would be pure aesthetics.

A better and more logical answer would be to make mass-traffic unnecessary. In a station with multiple unconnected module clusters the flow of mass traffic should (if it does not already, but I believe it does) affect the relative productivity of the clusters. Disrupt flow of mass traffic between the clustters and production should be impeded.

the whole mass traffic around stations is just eye candy... disrupting it would not influence the station.

but without the need to stick every single module onto a connector.. or onto any other module you can really create unique and aesthetical stations.

example are some residential modules scattered around a central factory complex... or productions scattered around a central Residential Area... what ever the Builder of such a Station can imagine, it can be build.

Though, some Modules simply don't look nice when they are Free Floating while others can feel really legit when detached... or just equipped with the bare minimum to suggest importance.

i have, for example, a station that is surrounded by multiple Teladi Habitations, all attached with a cross Connector and a small Luxury Docking Area while the Core Facility uses Basic Docking Areas (those with the Barbed wire Fence around the M Landing Pads) and is the only place were L Ships can dock.

All rounded up with a steady stream of Masstraffic coming from the Habitations and leaving the Workplaces... even if this Station has nothing to do it looks and feels alive because of that.

MurryChang
x4

Post by MurryChang » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 17:19

Do note that if you don't have your dock attached to the rest of your station and you try to assign a manager, the manager will not be able to find their way into the station and will never take over.

At least, that's how it worked in 1.3 anyhow. Since then I've been attaching the dock to the rest of the station so I haven't had a chance to test.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:14

Pichu0102 wrote:
Thu, 14. Feb 19, 09:33
I've always wondered this since you can confirm station changes even if something is not attached to a complex that eventually leads to a dock or pier. If they don't, do you need cargo drones to move things around?

I have Defence Discs floating around my Complex like the defence discs from Rebirth, they work fine to me.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

hxsgame
x4

Post by hxsgame » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 16:25

linolafett wrote:
Thank you for this good news.

but, in the WiKi That's says:
" Disconnected modules
……… but it can also be of great disadvantage, for example a resource production or a storage module because the wares will not be transferred."

Is Wiki wrong?

hxsgame
x4

Post by hxsgame » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 16:26

linolafett wrote:
Thank you for this good news.

but, in the WiKi That's says:
" Disconnected modules
……… but it can also be of great disadvantage, for example a resource production or a storage module because the wares will not be transferred."

Is Wiki wrong?

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 16:29

Modules don't need to be attached. Defense discs work much better this way as they wont be obstructed by the station. Connecters are purely aesthetic. Only venture mods require physical connection.

hxsgame
x4

Post by hxsgame » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 16:39

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 19, 16:29
Modules don't need to be attached. Defense discs work much better this way as they wont be obstructed by the station. Connecters are purely aesthetic. Only venture mods require physical connection.
so “ in storage module the wares will not be transferred. ” this isn't true? Yes?

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 22:06

You can pretend that the mass traffic transports the wares between unconnected modules if you like, they don't though. The wares don't need to be transported around the station. You can have 15 free floating L container storages as apart of your station and all the wares will still be accessible by normal trading at the dock.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 6. Apr 19, 23:00

People are over thinking...

The game has no logic to check that modules are attached to anything or even are placed in a way that makes sense. Nothing stops you from overlapping everything in the same volume of space, not connected to anything at all. The only exception are dock and build modules which one needs to respect the flight volumes for, but even those can be overlapped a great deal.

Personally this is my only complaint about the station build system. One is actually penalized for trying to make sensible stations.

hxsgame
x4

Post by hxsgame » Sun, 7. Apr 19, 02:19

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sat, 6. Apr 19, 22:06
You can pretend that the mass traffic transports the wares between unconnected modules if you like, they don't though. The wares don't need to be transported around the station. You can have 15 free floating L container storages as apart of your station and all the wares will still be accessible by normal trading at the dock.
Understand, thank you for your answer.

Return to “X4: Foundations”