Picture album - my 5x shipyard support space city!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

Picture album - my 5x shipyard support space city!

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 22:46

Finally i finished the first space city (called it Ergosphere for now), which will serve as a shipyard supply factory.
Incredible imo what ES accomplished on this front - the whole design and construction process was so smooth, and the whole thing works so well apart from a few soon to be fixed issues, gj ES is all i can say.
My dreams regarding space station design came true which i gave up on after XR release completely.

It produces all wares (x5 for most products) needed for ship and equipment production, plus 20x surplus in microchip, smartchip and claytronix - 276 prod modules in total. Was curious how the relatively bigger output affects economy, if the low demands i see generally really mean the station will not make money, and also just how can i manage such a station, howUI handles that and what is the impact on performance.
It needed 61 L hab modules to have optimal workforce, extends about 15km outside the 20km plot boundary, has about 3k turrets, and will have around 30 L miners to support its production. Will have a go again at marine training while borrowing the ships - mainly crane sentinels as i decided to go for cargo capacity.

I never transferred a credit to the manager, but after the first docks finished and i assigned the first couple L miners to the manager it started to earn pretty well. I expected it to spend some time on filling up the storage modules, but credits came surprisingly fast.

Pathing around the station is pretty good, haven't noticed ships flying through the station yet, maybe except one case when there was fighting - but have not flown close to inspect if the ship is just close or is really inside geometry. Attacking xen and khaak ships had no issues so far navigating around it, and they trigger a lovely laser show during the few seconds while they last.

Had 2 CTDs during the build process which isn't much considering the size, and apart from the several minute freezes that happen in later stages after a module construction is finished i had no serious issues in general. Afaik this will be addressed in 2.0 - hope ES can fix it. Unfortunately due to these long freezes i had to resort to SETA, which i entirely avoided throughout my game so far.

The missile and drone equip menu is bugged - the amount of drones and missiles station info displays has nothing to do with the values i set in the station overview window.

Have not noticed any impact on FPS so far unless i'm close to the city - in the sector if far away (70+km) or outside of it i get so far the same numbers i got used to before.
Flying close to the station it drops to 15-20, and when i climb out to the side of the docks on foot i get around 10 or so.
Left HUD on for some screens to show fps.

Complex calculator
Savegame
Build plan xml
The build plan is a huge mess, i thought i would delete the backup saves i did while designing the city - the final version is called "Ergosphere final".

And another version of the xml build plan, with 36 TEL L extra storage modules.
Plan name in this one is Ergosphere final xCont.

Now with the export feature i created a new export, the production has been upgraded and this has the cradles and wharves as well.
Turret count reduced for performance reasons.
Ergosphere the shipyard and support modules for own use of SY, plus 20x claytronics to boost NPC and own builds.
Arms Cathedral support plex to allow universe wide sales.

Build order is not optimal, had no time to play around with indices in the file yet.

I made way too many pics, kind of got carried away when the build completed - but decided to upload them anyway. Hope some people will enjoy it :)

This is how it looks in the designer:
ImageImage

M/S Docking views:
25Image17Image

36Image37Image

38Image39Image

And some more screens:
1Image2Image

11Image12Image

13Image3Image

4Image5Image

6Image7Image

8Image9Image

10Image14Image

15Image16Image

18Image19Image

20Image21Image

22Image23Image

24Image26Image

27Image28Image

29Image30Image

31Image32Image

33Image34Image

35Image

FP views

41Image42Image

Extra storage

43Image44Image
45Image

Fight screens

46Image47Image
48Image
Last edited by pref on Thu, 6. Aug 20, 01:25, edited 10 times in total.

Scarecrow
x4

Re: Picture album - my 5x shipyard support space city!

Post by Scarecrow » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 22:58

Good Lord!

I'm impressed. How long did it take you to lay that out in Configuration?

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:02

Holy flipping... :o

True work of art, man. This is simply epic!

I saw a few preliminary screenshots in the thread of the spoiler forum, but that final product is worth the sight!
I wish I had it in my game so I could fly around it.

Very awesome and inspiring work. Thanks for sharing!

Screenshot 1 is now among my desktop wallpaper library.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:11

Thanks guys :)
I can upload the design xml if it's of any use, didn't think anyone would be interested in that.
And also according to what lino said it might not be so good either as it seems the connector modules are not necessary for the station to function properly.

All in all design probably took between 5-10 hours in total, not counting the time lost on redesigns when i realised i did't like the looks.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:24

It reminds me The Sprawl from Dead Space 2.

EvanRath
x4

Post by EvanRath » Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:45

awesome, a city in space!

what are those lit up blue modules?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 00:50

EvanRath wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:45
what are those lit up blue modules?
If you mean the ones in an arc around the center, those are Advanced electronics production modules.

EvanRath
x4

Post by EvanRath » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 01:14

awesome ty they look cool

waynetarlton
x4

Post by waynetarlton » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 01:22

Wow! That's sensational. Well done. Inspiring.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 04:07

Now this is podracing.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 11:45

That's truly spectacular. As with so many things in this game, people take what we've done and use it to create things we hadn't imagined possible.

I know it's a little cheeky, but is there any chance we could have a savegame with this station in it? Scenarios such as this are great for looking at how certain parts of the game function in extreme situations, and are more useful for this than artificial scenarios that we might mock up ourselves.

Dreez
x4

Post by Dreez » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 11:51

Truly a work of art. I consider myself an OCD-station builder with great plans and executions,
but my stations pale in comparisson to this beautiful monster. Bravo, well done, amazing !.

Frames must be in the single digits when flying in the system tho :gruebel: .

Maybe wishful thinking that frames wouldn't take a nosedive when building these monsters.
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 13:32

yes please give a save, I want to fly around this monster!!!
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 13:34

Ask and one shall receive. Thanks for the screenies :D

How long did this all take you?

Looks awesome, and as the devs asked for a save ( :wink: think they like it too), would be interesting to watch this on a live feed video to see how it all fairs.

Again, well done, step aside Lando, you live in the sticks :D

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 13:55

pref wrote:
Fri, 15. Feb 19, 23:11
All in all design probably took between 5-10 hours in total, not counting the time lost on redesigns when i realised i did't like the looks.
How long did the actual build time take though? I am building a megaPHQ complex (may be a terrible idea if in the future lots of things go on with the PHQ due to the lag issues this megaplex will bring to it :P ) but it's taking a looooooooong time to build... Especially stuff like Claytronics where it takes more than 30 minutes to build just one station! Not complaining about the time it takes, but for your gargantuan project it must have taken days to complete!

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 15:41

Thanks to all of you for the nice words, never thought this would attract such attention :)

@X-Tie: Building took several days as you can imagine.. just the 20x claytronix took like half a day, but there is much more

@Dreez: FPS is not that bad for me as you see on the screens and i have written above it's 15-20 close to the station. Map FPS seems to have dropped to single digits since though.
CBJ wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 11:45
That's truly spectacular. As with so many things in this game, people take what we've done and use it to create things we hadn't imagined possible.

I know it's a little cheeky, but is there any chance we could have a savegame with this station in it? Scenarios such as this are great for looking at how certain parts of the game function in extreme situations, and are more useful for this than artificial scenarios that we might mock up ourselves.
Thanks for the time you guys devoted to building, this is such a great feature. I'm sure you will see some other builds way better then mine soon.

Some issues i see which might worth to take a look at
- drone and missile equipment is not working well, station info and settings in logical overview do not match for me,
- if you extend the station with at least 2 modules/connectors you will get the game freeze after modules are build for minutes (except after the last module, hence you need at least 2)
- now i noticed that since the station got built, map FPS often goes into the single digit realm - before that it was 20+ for me all the time. This can be painful while managing things.

Also lino mentioned that connectors might not be necessary, and the station should function with even just a bunch of modules within the same plot that are not connected to any docks or eachother.
Can you clarify on this one? Can we omit all connector modules and have a station that functions just as good without them?

Savegame
Build plan xml
The build plan is a huge mess, i thought i would delete the backup saves i did while designing the city - the final version is called "Ergosphere final".

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 15:46

yes all modules dont have to be connected to anything they will work fine as long as its all the same factory as in plot
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 19:51

Thanks for the save, have got to try it out, see if it's like the "but will it run Crysis" scenario :lol:

I'm waiting for 2.0 to release before I go back in, after seeing this I'm looking forward to building my own utopia as well.
Really cannot wait for Mods to begin adding new modules, etc. though that'll prolly get thos FPS down to the negatives :roll:
Buzz2005 wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 15:46
yes all modules dont have to be connected to anything they will work fine as long as its all the same factory as in plot
Just a quick thought, does having certain parts away from the main structure help with Civ ship flow and all the lag. Since we're talking about testing things, just wondered.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 20:29

shealladh wrote:
Sat, 16. Feb 19, 19:51
Just a quick thought, does having certain parts away from the main structure help with Civ ship flow and all the lag. Since we're talking about testing things, just wondered.
You mean does it spawn less civ ships?
I dont know but I think it does not matter, civ ships still spawn in the same numbers, you have to mod them out

thoggarth
x4

Post by thoggarth » Sat, 16. Feb 19, 21:25

Decided to give it a go. I know my total net worth is only 600m and from the screenshots it looks as though the build cost is going to be 1.4bn but how bad could it be?
Downloaded the XML file, and after a few Copy & Pastes managed to merge it with my own.
Backed up the save file - coz you never know!
Loaded the game, built a new construction site, went to load factory and everything is greyed out. Of course, I don't own any of the blueprints!
Spent the last 3 hours saving up and buying the blueprints. Just the Paranid L Biome to go (24.7m) and then I can get building.
Something tells me this could take a while...

Return to “X4: Foundations”