Next Target/ Nearest Target

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kstanb
x3tc

Next Target/ Nearest Target

Post by kstanb » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:00

Hi, when hunting crystals or space eggs in an asteroid field, I sometime have to do a lot time consuming targeting until I finally get the one I am looking for
Issue is that there are like 50 or 60 asteroids, and one space egg, so to target the space egg, I need to click "next target" multiple times until I finally get it

Is there another way? maybe if there is a "select nearest target"? that way at least I can get close

Or maybe if the HUD map is zoomable

Thanks

Belgarath
x4

Re: Next Target/ Nearest Target

Post by Belgarath » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:12

You can't zoom the HUD minimap.

For me, I just open the map and hover over the things there and then target the ones that I want.

For crystals, I've found the best way is to sit still and when you see a crystal flashing, target that asteroid. Then hit Target view (F3) twice. That allows you to use the number pad to move the view around and you can zoom in and out to view the asteroid and see what kind of crystal it is. I skip the cheap crystals and go for the higher priced ones, especially the burnite (white) crystals (Average 250,000 credits each). Make sure you shop around when selling crystals. Some traders will pay less, some more. If they are paying less, I hang onto them to check the next trader. The magenta/purple crystals are 1,000 cr. each, the blue are 10,000 cr. each, the yellow are 20,000 cr. each, and the orange are 30,000 cr. each average price.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

kstanb
x3tc

Post by kstanb » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:42

Thanks, I will try to select it on the map, would "T" key works? I mean, would it remain targeted after I close map?

And at the moment I am picking every crystal, because I just got into the game. I am obviously a newbie, but this feels unbalanced, I mean after a couple day of playing, just doing a few missions and picking crystals and space eggs (25 = caviar = 1 million), I was able to purchase the best Argon "S" ship, with the best upgrades available, so this might mean there are many ships I will never fly and no slow progression, but an easy time defending against the Xenon/ Khaak ships which are the only ones attacking me so far.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 02:33

I set "target object" to a convenient button on my joystick. That makes it so that as I fly, all I need to do is point the nose towards a ship, press the target object button, and the ship or station directly in front of me will get targeted. Otherwise, I just open the map and target stuff from there.

Belgarath
x4

Post by Belgarath » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 03:51

kstanb wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:42
Thanks, I will try to select it on the map, would "T" key works? I mean, would it remain targeted after I close map?

And at the moment I am picking every crystal, because I just got into the game. I am obviously a newbie, but this feels unbalanced, I mean after a couple day of playing, just doing a few missions and picking crystals and space eggs (25 = caviar = 1 million), I was able to purchase the best Argon "S" ship, with the best upgrades available, so this might mean there are many ships I will never fly and no slow progression, but an easy time defending against the Xenon/ Khaak ships which are the only ones attacking me so far.
When you target something in the map, it will have yellow brackets around it. When you close the map, it stays targeted until you change the target or clear the target by clicking on an empty area of space (say the upper-right area of your screen where there are no stations or asteroids).
Falcrack wrote:I set "target object" to a convenient button on my joystick. That makes it so that as I fly, all I need to do is point the nose towards a ship, press the target object button, and the ship or station directly in front of me will get targeted. Otherwise, I just open the map and target stuff from there.
I have a problem with targeting something directly ahead of me. If I'm flying towards a station and press my target button on my joystick, it will target anything and everything except the station. I haven't figured out why it does that. So, I created a command in Voice Attack that moves the mouse to the center of the screen and left-clicks to target what's dead ahead of me. So, instead of targeting a transport ship, civilian ship or even an asteroid that's on the other side of the station, it targets the station itself. I'll get that sorted out eventually, but the solution I came up with works pretty well.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

Scorpion1948
x4

Post by Scorpion1948 » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 10:55

Belgarath wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:12
You can't zoom the HUD minimap.
You can zoom the minimap you go into one of the settings and set it there, I have made mine 1.5 but I am sure that you can go larger.
Sorry, I can't tell you exactly where the option is I can't get into the game as I'm on my way out.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 17. Feb 19, 11:27

kstanb wrote:
Sun, 17. Feb 19, 01:00
Hi, when hunting crystals or space eggs in an asteroid field, I sometime have to do a lot time consuming targeting until I finally get the one I am looking for
Issue is that there are like 50 or 60 asteroids, and one space egg, so to target the space egg, I need to click "next target" multiple times until I finally get it

Is there another way?
Personally, I would just tractor everything then dump the inventory items I don't want (e.g. unstable crystals and space eggs in policed space).

As for other circumstances, reticule targeting is what I use normally.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

kstanb
x3tc

Post by kstanb » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 16:34

Yes, I also tractor beam, but if the cargo is far away and I don't know exactly where it is, it was annoying to target one by one

that being said, selecting target (T) in the map works fine, and from there I can navigate,

Changing size to 1.5 also helped, now the HUD map looks less cluttered

thanks a lot

sundernet
x4

Post by sundernet » Sun, 26. May 19, 13:21

i also have an annoying issue with targeting stuff on the map!
There are 2 types of targets on my map, when i am doing exploration, and select a target, it desplays it in yellow and white!
While exploring i need to focus on myselff with "R" each and every time because the cursor "yellow targeted objects" keeps focusing the map on that target every time the map opens! i left click elsewhere to diselect it, but it remains targeted in YELLOW!!
Please fix this issue with the map, really why we need a second yellow target instead of keeping the tyarget system as simple as possible?!!??!!?!?
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] ASRock Extreme4
[CPU] Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600k 3.60Ghz 6Core
[Cooling] Criorig C7
[Video] Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 8GB
[Harddrive] CM500 500GB SSD
[Harddrive] Seagate Baraccuda 2TB
[Disc Player] - Portable Slim Drive USB 3.0

Return to “X4: Foundations”