I still have no idea how many modules I should build for wharf and shipyard

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lordmuck
x4

I still have no idea how many modules I should build for wharf and shipyard

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 13:03

Hey

Before I head out to "farm" some credits while keeping the paranid at bay in Pious mists 2 which is another headache as our platforms need to be attacked before they fart at the enemy -.- Ego plz fix that
I cannot wrap my head around how many modules of what I should make in order to comfortably "spam" out ships.

Lets say I would like minimum of 5 s ships per 5 mins of waiting for resources if storage is at 0, weapons we could say all as I think weapon loadouts may change a little with future tweaks.
Minimum of 3 destroyer per 15 mins.

Also should I make more than 1 wharf/equipment/shipyard of each type? So that I could keep one for NPC sales and one for my personal use to keep the queue clear just for my self? I have not used the yards atm so obviously I have no clue.

Could someone be kind enough to calculate this, I am sure its simple to calculate, I am really brain dead atm and woke up completely clueless ex: putting the sugar in the fridge and milk in the cupboard clueless...

EmperorDragon
x4

Re: I still have no idea how many modules I should build for wharf and shipyard

Post by EmperorDragon » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 13:45

Hull parts, engine parts and antimatter converters takes the biggest hit when producing ships so make sure you have plenty of modules producing those.

Not sure about engine parts and antimatter converters off the top of my head but, a Behemoth requires 4400 hull parts to build. A hull part production module produces around 1100 hull parts per hour with adequate workforce, meaning you'll need 16x hull part production modules to produce enough hull parts for 1x destroyer every 15 mins.

A destroyer takes around 9 minutes to build with full workforce and enough construction drones.

I only have 1 combined shipyard and wharf complex but I only use it for myself at the moment. Equipment dock will be built in a sector not yet my own, shipyard modules can handle repairs and resupply as well so an equipment dock is not critical.

Please excuse if my quantities/calculations is a bit off, it is Monday after all...
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 13:54

So I am over doing it by trying to produce even 1 per 15 mins from 0 resources in terms of processing time from raw, to each component :/

darrund
x4

Post by darrund » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 14:45

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 13:54
So I am over doing it by trying to produce even 1 per 15 mins from 0 resources in terms of processing time from raw, to each component :/
I think I have said this somewhere else a couple of weeks ago, that Player Shipyards would be a mess whenever they will be introduced.They will just produce the same ship variants for a lot more money plus additional time for what NPC shipyards would be capable.For me that simply makes no sense at all, other than having the "feeling" that you have your very own shipyards and also the sheer amount of complexes needed to fulfill these orders in any comprehensible way, will have some effects I really want to avoid.
1. The computer resources (as in memory,graphics,CPU requirements,GPU etc) will probably melt a few pcs down :lol: and even though I use a zeon E5 v4 I don't really want to feel the impact
2. It is also quite possible that whats left of the economy will probably collapse
3. Travelling anywhere near these factories will become a nightmare

I don't really know how things will go (haven't installed version 2.0 beta) but I honestly believe it will be a veeery long time for me, after even version 2.0 is released, that I will attempt building anything close to what is needed to make these shipyards operational.
Until then i will cap whatever I need and as for M and S fleets I will just buy them since imho they are cheap enough and easy to order at least in my game.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 14:55

darrund wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 14:45
lordmuck wrote:
I think I have said this somewhere else a couple of weeks ago, that Player Shipyards would be a mess whenever they will be introduced.They will just produce the same ship variants for a lot more money plus additional time for what NPC shipyards would be capable.For me that simply makes no sense at all, other than having the "feeling" that you have your very own shipyards and also the sheer amount of complexes needed to fulfill these orders in any comprehensible way, will have some effects I really want to avoid.
1. The computer resources (as in memory,graphics,CPU requirements,GPU etc) will probably melt a few pcs down :lol: and even though I use a zeon E5 v4 I don't really want to feel the impact
2. It is also quite possible that whats left of the economy will probably collapse

I don't really know how things will go (haven't installed version 2.0 beta) but I honestly believe it will be a veeery long time for me, after even version 2.0 is released, that I will attempt building anything close to what is needed to make these shipyards operational.
Until then i will cap whatever I need and as for M and S fleets I will just buy them since imho they are cheap enough and easy to order at least in my game.
A number of things are a mess atm in game :D
In terms of production time vs NPC stations, with our own stations we are providing it with resources so we "should" not see the whole wait 10 years for a trader to sell 10 smart chips from 3000 to an NPC station . Even while having a complex of my own next to the wharf and ship yard with 5 of each hull, engine, schips etc... our own A(stupidity) prefers to sell the stuff to a wharf while the ship yard a few km away is starving for a few thousand parts and the wharf is nearly stocked fully. So yeah if I can avoid that I would, however I dont think I want to spend the same amount of time just coz "its the players shipyard" therefore make it work differently or something or be even slower than purchasing from NPC, which I doubt it is.

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 15:25

what do you want precisely?

self sufficient Ship Printers?
open complexes to generate surplus from not needed materials?

i have a basic semi self sufficient wharf/shipyard that heavy depends on my other Hullpart Productions for example... and this thing has grown so excessively big that it actually houses 10k workers and still hs to import the named Hullparts.

thought... i can print ships for free without importing anything but it takes some time for 24 battle ready Peregrines.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 15:47

darrund wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 14:45
lordmuck wrote:

Player shipyards allows you to become a fully independent faction of your own. I like independence. No need to suck up to other factions anymore to be able to use their shipyards, no more queues waiting for them to complete their ships and no more feeding AI shipyards when they use up all their stock for building their own ships (I'm not really into capturing ships).

My smaller-scale closed economy can produce around 1.5 destroyers per hour, doesn't sound like much but hours can fly and I already produced a large number of ships all by myself without spending a single credit. In fact, I don't even use money anymore. My current ship production capacity is enough to sustain a war effort against the Godrealm so far.

I also build ships faster (actual build time) than the AI factions thanks to excess construction drones and workforce.

Building ships myself also spare more production capacity for the Argon and Antigone because I don't abuse their shipyards for ships, meaning they can roll out more ships for their own war efforts (I use Argon/Antigone ships).

There will always be people that build huge PC-melting factory complexes, shipyards or no shipyards. Many people already build quite sizeable economies and complexes to feed the AI shipyards, only difference is you can use those resources to feed your own shipyard now.

It takes a lot of relation-building and credits to get all the modules but, once you have your shipyard up and running, the late-game changes completely. Building your own empire to match or even surpass the AI factions is a viable late-game goal now. And it's awesome!
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 17:12

eMYNOCK wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 15:25

i have a basic semi self sufficient wharf/shipyard that heavy depends on my other Hullpart Productions for example... and this thing has grown so excessively big that it actually houses 10k workers and still hs to import the named Hullparts.

thought... i can print ships for free without importing anything but it takes some time for 24 battle ready Peregrines.
yes self sufficient I would calculate the rest of the needed modules for production. I am just trying to gauge how many of the component modules I need to make X number of Y per hour. So me thinking LOOOOL I R MAKE 3 L SHIPS per 15 min is already silly of me to think that if just one type of module I need 20 of without even thinking of the others plus connector bits. I may try go for 10 of each of the needed modules I donno.. I like spamming out 25 fighters at a time from argon, yet the wait time for traders to come by is quite slow. having said all this, using a ton of L storage may be a good way to go too...

So yeah just getting ideas for now tbh while I save up a few thousand billion ahaha

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:23

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 13:03
Hey

Before I head out to "farm" some credits while keeping the paranid at bay in Pious mists 2 which is another headache as our platforms need to be attacked before they fart at the enemy -.- Ego plz fix that
I cannot wrap my head around how many modules of what I should make in order to comfortably "spam" out ships.

Lets say I would like minimum of 5 s ships per 5 mins of waiting for resources if storage is at 0, weapons we could say all as I think weapon loadouts may change a little with future tweaks.

Also should I make more than 1 wharf/equipment/shipyard of each type? So that I could keep one for NPC sales and one for my personal use to keep the queue clear just for my self? I have not used the yards atm so obviously I have no clue.

Could someone be kind enough to calculate this, I am sure its simple to calculate, I am really brain dead atm and woke up completely clueless ex: putting the sugar in the fridge and milk in the cupboard clueless...
Way i'm doing it is I built 2 seperate plots, close to each other, one will be the Shipyard/Wharf, the other is a super-complex that builds everything needed to build a ship all self-sustaining, I add more to it every so often. Even added habitation to speed up building.

Soon as I have enough to buy the blueprints for ships, turrets, shields and boosters etc. and figure out if I can have ships deliver from the complex to the shipyard storage i'll be rolling in it.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:58

spankahontis wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:23
lordmuck wrote:
Hey

Way i'm doing it is I built 2 seperate plots, close to each other, one will be the Shipyard/Wharf, the other is a super-complex that builds everything needed to build a ship all self-sustaining, I add more to it every so often. Even added habitation to speed up building.

Soon as I have enough to buy the blueprints for ships, turrets, shields and boosters etc. and figure out if I can have ships deliver from the complex to the shipyard storage i'll be rolling in it.
buy and sell gate distance both set to 0 may do it

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 19:05

Pretty much the whole economy is around building ships (and their weapons). There's no other real use for cash/resources.

Each faction has 1 shipyard and 1 wharf... and several sectors full of factories to support it.

To get into ship building, you're gonna need a faction-size economy, which is good. This is a true end-game goal that can and should take a while.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 19:57

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:58
spankahontis wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 18:23
lordmuck wrote:
Hey

buy and sell gate distance both set to 0 may do it

But what if you want to keep the Complex open for business?

Hmmm, I'm thinking, Traders for Shipyard put to zero 'Buy'? :gruebel:

I'll give it a try, thanks Lordmuck!
ei8htx wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 19:05
Pretty much the whole economy is around building ships (and their weapons). There's no other real use for cash/resources.

Each faction has 1 shipyard and 1 wharf... and several sectors full of factories to support it.

To get into ship building, you're gonna need a faction-size economy, which is good. This is a true end-game goal that can and should take a while.
Be better if the Economy wasn't solely for Ship/Station Building, that there could be a Civilian Economy Sink as well, Food, Meds, Jewellery, Electronics, even those XS ships you see buzzing around the stations could be sell-able to civilians (Gives you an explanation into where they are coming from?).
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 21:28

Why on earth you want a destroyer per 15 min?
You will never need that.

Just build storages big enough so when you actually feel like ship printing you can make a nice fleet in one go. Bet after that you would not need ships for a couple hours again - and in the meantime your storages can fill up..

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 22:56

pref wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 21:28
Why on earth you want a destroyer per 15 min?
You will never need that.

Just build storages big enough so when you actually feel like ship printing you can make a nice fleet in one go. Bet after that you would not need ships for a couple hours again - and in the meantime your storages can fill up..
its just an example kinda thing, yeah think the whole having lots of storage will be very helpful

waynetarlton
x4

Post by waynetarlton » Mon, 18. Feb 19, 23:17

I started off by building two of each product required for ship building, and grew from there. The product lines that were always out of stock, I simply added more modules to the station. Over time, I was able to afford vertical integration, i.e. making the products from raw materials, value adding and through to the finished product.

I've ended up with massive self contained stations that maintain a good level of stock on hand of each item, but obviously when I order stacks of ships, take a while to catch up again.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 00:30

waynetarlton wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 23:17
I started off by building two of each product required for ship building, and grew from there. The product lines that were always out of stock, I simply added more modules to the station. Over time, I was able to afford vertical integration, i.e. making the products from raw materials, value adding and through to the finished product.

I've ended up with massive self contained stations that maintain a good level of stock on hand of each item, but obviously when I order stacks of ships, take a while to catch up again.
yeah was thinking of laying out the final build and save the template, delete parts that I dont have and each time I can make a module id load the template and delete all except the modules I can place.. Donno if that can work using a template without messing up what is already laid down tho as it would load up what is already laid down.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 00:42

I did some calculations with a few ship variants. It turns out, compared to buying ships direct from NPCs versus making them yourself, if you figure it using the average price for each ware, making ships yourself cost about 1 third as much as buying it from NPCs. So if a ship costs you 12 million credits at an NPC shipyard, if you were to buy all the wares necessary to make that same exact ship, and make it yourself, it would only cost you around 4 million credits. If you have a self sufficient complex, your final cost would be nothing but time, and whatever your spent in the first place setting it all up.

I don't know what NPCs will pay you for ships bought at your shipyards, is it comparable to what is charged at NPC shipyards?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 01:46

@OP: I am not sure about what is required BUT I have the start of a station intended to be expanded with ship production facilities.

I have posted the design (EBI Space Station One) in a Station Design thread I started in the Spoilers forum (since it is possible designs could include spoiler elements)

The basic approach of my design is LOTS of habitation capacity (24k Argon - est. 4-5k spare accomodation), LOTS of storage (24M of each type), and at least one production chain for each of Hull Parts, Engine Parts, Claytronics, Quantum Tubes, Weapon Components, Shield Components, Turret Components, Smart Chips, Micro Chips, Advanced Composites, Advanced Electronics, Missile Components, and Drone Components. It is also heavily armed (in excess of 8000 turrets - about a third of which are tracking missile launchers) has 36 L/XL Docks, 60 M Pads, 120 S Pads, and 4 Administrative Centres.

I am currently in the process of completing the final stages of building before V2.0 lands. It is likely to be a frame rate killer station but I suspect it will serve very well as (an at least nearly) self-sustaining Ship Construction/Repair/Refit complex.
Last edited by Sam L.R. Griffiths on Tue, 19. Feb 19, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

eMYNOCK
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by eMYNOCK » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 02:19

lordmuck wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 17:12
eMYNOCK wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 15:25

yes self sufficient I would calculate the rest of the needed modules for production. I am just trying to gauge how many of the component modules I need to make X number of Y per hour. So me thinking LOOOOL I R MAKE 3 L SHIPS per 15 min is already silly of me to think that if just one type of module I need 20 of without even thinking of the others plus connector bits. I may try go for 10 of each of the needed modules I donno.. I like spamming out 25 fighters at a time from argon, yet the wait time for traders to come by is quite slow. having said all this, using a ton of L storage may be a good way to go too...

So yeah just getting ideas for now tbh while I save up a few thousand billion ahaha
i have the supply relatively stable at zero cost with around 16 hull Part Productions... not all of them on my behemoth station tbh.. that would propable increase the stations workforce towards 15k just to supply the intermediates.

lordmuck
x4

Post by lordmuck » Tue, 19. Feb 19, 13:25

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 19. Feb 19, 00:42
I did some calculations with a few ship variants. It turns out, compared to buying ships direct from NPCs versus making them yourself, if you figure it using the average price for each ware, making ships yourself cost about 1 third as much as buying it from NPCs. So if a ship costs you 12 million credits at an NPC shipyard, if you were to buy all the wares necessary to make that same exact ship, and make it yourself, it would only cost you around 4 million credits. If you have a self sufficient complex, your final cost would be nothing but time, and whatever your spent in the first place setting it all up.

I don't know what NPCs will pay you for ships bought at your shipyards, is it comparable to what is charged at NPC shipyards?
This is good to know about the cost difference thanks
Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Tue, 19. Feb 19, 01:46
@OP: I am not sure about what is required BUT I have the start of a station intended to be expanded with ship production facilities.

I have posted the design (EBI Space Station One) in a Station Design thread I started in the Spoilers forum (since it is possible designs could include spoiler elements)

The basic approach of my design is LOTS of habitation capacity (24k Argon - est. 4-5k spare accomodation), LOTS of storage (24M of each type), and at least one production chain for each of Hull Parts, Engine Parts, Claytronics, Quantum Tubes, Weapon Components, Shield Components, Turret Components, Smart Chips, Micro Chips, Advanced Composites, Advanced Electronics, Missile Components, and Drone Components. It is also heavily armed (in excess of 8000 turrets - about a third of which are tracking missile launchers) has 36 L/XL Docks, 60 M Pads, 120 S Pads, and 4 Administrative Centres.

I am currently in the process of completing the final stages of building before V2.0 lands. It is likely to be a frame rate killer station but I suspect it will serve very well as (an at least nearly) self-sustaining Ship Construction/Repair/Refit complex.
Yeah :D I have seen your thread on the station is very good :) and agree on the storage for sure. Did you add the turrets after the build was done so you use the components you make?
eMYNOCK wrote:
Tue, 19. Feb 19, 02:19

i have the supply relatively stable at zero cost with around 16 hull Part Productions... not all of them on my behemoth station tbh.. that would propable increase the stations workforce towards 15k just to supply the intermediates.
16 modules of each mat needed ? :o I suppose it could be done providing I design the whole station in a way that I can build up slowly

Return to “X4: Foundations”