Automated ware delivery above the 5 sector limit/shipyards selling shipbuilding resources

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Automated ware delivery above the 5 sector limit/shipyards selling shipbuilding resources

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 10:03

To make it clear to people, the 5 limit range is gates/orbital accelerators and not super highways. This means sector clusters such as Grand Exchange all count as 1. Hence a station inside grand exchange can access 3 sectors of market (All 3 Grand Exchanges) with 0 range used. 1 range gets one the entirety of Blackhole Sun (another 2 sectors), all of Nopelios' Fortune (another 2 sectors), Path to Profit and Eighteen Billion.

I could list this for all range tiers but it would waste time. Instead at 5 range I will list the sectors not reached from a station anywhere in Grand Exchange with 5 range.
  • Lasting Vengence
  • Atiya's Misfortune
  • Matrix #9
  • Hewa's Twin 3/4
  • Hewa's Twin 5
  • Company Regard
  • Scaleplate Green
3 of these systems are originally owned by the Xenon and 4 of them are the obscure Hewa's Twin branch (badly positioned for access from Grand Exchange).

nickolaiproblem
x4

Re: Automated ware delivery above the 5 sector limit/shipyards selling shipbuilding resources

Post by nickolaiproblem » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 17:35

pref wrote:
Sat, 9. Mar 19, 00:26
Scoob wrote:
Fri, 8. Mar 19, 22:14
As the new ranges appear to largely be Stars = Range, a way to rebalance that would be a quick fix. Sadly I had zero X4 modding experience, so wouldn't know where to start looking.

Basically, rather than the current system of (guessing a bit here) of one Star = one Sector, I'd love to edit this out to one Star = three Sectors, two Stars = six Sectors, three Stars = nine Sectors etc. etc. or something along those lines.

Scoob.
Made a quick change for this, range = skill (pilot/management), not skill/3.
TradeRangeIncrease mod

Can't test it much because i get CTD in 30 mins tops, but should work if no other mod changes the affected trade script. Had a ship selling with it from nopileos to the ANT wharf so they do pick targets further away.

Though it is really insufficient, there should be a way to control ware flow in much more detail.
Can you make an official post about this mod. It seems pretty interesting and I think other players might like it.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 17:36

pref wrote:
Fri, 8. Mar 19, 18:20
I have seen some posts over at beta forum that player complexes with ship building related modules will not sell ship building resources any more.
Is this an intended change or a bug?

How are we supposed to get our wares outside the max 5 sector radius without having to manually do trade runs constantly then?

I was hoping i could create warehouses which would buy wares of my production complex, and resell them to nearby shipyards. But since endproducts cannot be bought, for this it is a must to have a dock/wharf on the warehouse to turn endproducts into resources.
If these stations will not sell the wares because of that then i see no way to manage logistics in an acceptable manner..

I'd be curious what else options i have then?
I'd really prefer having production centralised in my own space, much more flexible solution in case a relation change happens with any race. Also there are less issues with AI config, less time spent in map and more in my spaceship, less time spent on the employee skill misery, generally more effective with build time and costs, and also i just love the space cities this game made possible to create.

My last hope with this 5 sector trade limit was that i can build logistic centres around the galaxy which are just empty warehouses with an EQ dock attached and config some ATs on them so the wares can reach shipyards further away, but this seems to be impossible now :(
Also if you check modded section there is a mod for warehouses and trade stations by legion of one

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 12. Jun 19, 17:03

I'm using this mod with 2.5, yet it no longer appears to work. My ships will show a higher potential range, but they only use vanilla ranges. I.e. I have some four star Captains that show "4 / 13" range on the range slider, however the range slider is greyed out so they're stuck at just travelling four gates.

To be clear, even when picking quite a central location for a station, a range of 5 is not enough to trade everwhere automatically. I really wish this dumb limitation was officially removed. Being forced to manually order my freighters around is ridiculous. Pref's changes did appear to fix this issue nicely for me in my prior game. However, starting afresh in 2.5 sees his tweaks not working.

Hopefully, if he's still interested, he'll pop back on this thread. Sadly, X4 modding is beyond me currently.

Scoob.

LegionOfOne
x4

Post by LegionOfOne » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 19:14

Given your problems, I think you would love my Mules and Warehouses mod.

It solves every problem I ever encountered trying to supply my own stations, shipyards, station construction sites, allows the creation of warehouses, and so much more :)

The code is quite short and runs very fast too, because Mules don't care about money or profits, just moving wares. Since they mostly trade between player objects, why would they care ?

They can still be used very effectively to sell to other factions, but it is better when the wares you sell have been made from scratch from raw resources you mined, not from wares bought from other factions.
That way, it is pure profit, and the fact the Mules don't bother with prices is not an issue.

Feel free to look at / borrow / rewrite the code for your own specific needs.
That's what I did originally, this mod started from the StationMule by leecarter.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 21:41

Thanks, I might try that. I just wanted my Freighters to not be nerfed by the daft range reduction change - it really broke my game and ruined much of the joy of owning a profit-making Station for me.

Scoob.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 22:24

I just had a quick look at pref's script. It seems it makes changes to maxrange only, which of course did work fine. However, while the increased maxrange can be seen in-game, it's part of a greyed-out slider with Minrange being the skill level in stars. I would try to tweak this to adjust minrange too, but I think that might have other consequences.

Why ES made this change in the first place is a mystery, and why it's subsequently been tweaked again, which has broken this great mod, is a mystery too.

I LOVE building large stations to supply the whole galaxy with resources, it's fun. Now my station can only reach a fraction of it. Not fun.

Scoob.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 13:41

Scoob wrote:
Sat, 15. Jun 19, 22:24
I just had a quick look at pref's script. It seems it makes changes to maxrange only, which of course did work fine. However, while the increased maxrange can be seen in-game, it's part of a greyed-out slider with Minrange being the skill level in stars. I would try to tweak this to adjust minrange too, but I think that might have other consequences.

Why ES made this change in the first place is a mystery, and why it's subsequently been tweaked again, which has broken this great mod, is a mystery too.

I LOVE building large stations to supply the whole galaxy with resources, it's fun. Now my station can only reach a fraction of it. Not fun.

Scoob.
Hey Scoob!

Is this still of any relevance to you or anyone else?
I never launched the game since, but can take a look if needed. I tested the stuff back then, it worked (have seen ships go autotrade beyond the vanilla limit). Regarding tweaking it i think there was a min/max calculation for both min and max range or something like that, it could be confusing a bit.
Quite possible a patch since then caused it to not function any more.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 14:02

LegionOfOne wrote:
Sat, 15. Jun 19, 19:14
Given your problems, I think you would love my Mules and Warehouses mod.

It solves every problem I ever encountered trying to supply my own stations, shipyards, station construction sites, allows the creation of warehouses, and so much more :)
Thanks for your work :)

The game really needs proper trade scripts that allow player to distribute and sell stuff with proper config options.
It's beyond me how could they release the game without such scripts, eco aspect suffers so bad without.. half the fun in X3 was creating the trade network for me, the other being boarding :D

The range increase does not help much to be honest as the logic by which ATs pick trades is insufficient. Even with this mod allowing a high trade range i had to go out of my way to force a ship to pick a deal that actually made sense volume and profit wise instead of wasting my time with a 5x delivery to the neighbouring sector..

Will check on your stuff if it's still supported when the split come.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 23:29

pref wrote:
Sun, 23. Jun 19, 13:41
Hey Scoob!

Is this still of any relevance to you or anyone else?
I never launched the game since, but can take a look if needed. I tested the stuff back then, it worked (have seen ships go autotrade beyond the vanilla limit). Regarding tweaking it i think there was a min/max calculation for both min and max range or something like that, it could be confusing a bit.
Quite possible a patch since then caused it to not function any more.
Hey pref,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Don't worry too much if you're not really interested in the game currently, I'll survive lol.

I agree with you when you say the game should have shipped with "proper" scripts for trading. To me, it's a gaping hole in the game that they are missing / not up to standard. Everything seems to be placed under the control of the Station Manager AI, yet this AI really isn't very good at all. Constant resource short-falls while the AI seems to go crazy on *one* ware, they *wrong* ware, and the huge pauses between taking sell opportunities, despite a market starved for a given ware. It's VERY frustrating. The AI improving over time is something I hope for, but I'd be far far happier to be able to actually control my ships. I.e. ONLY buy this, ONLY sell this, buy these etc. etc. to specifically assign vessels to a given ware.

BUILD. FIGHT. TRADE. THINK.

Build - I can do that, it's pretty damn good. AI needs practise.
Fight - I can do that too, though the AI is a little lacking at times.
Trade - I can do it and make pretty good profits from manually ordered trades. The AI sucks, and stations can't even keep themselves fed / sell high-demand items reliably.
Think - the AI isn't doing this!

Scoob.

Kamuchi_
x4

Post by Kamuchi_ » Mon, 24. Jun 19, 18:26

This explains why it did feel like I was carrying the universe in a new game as everything failed to produce and xenon walsed over everything with me in a trading frenzy... and installing a cheat mod to give xenon connected sectors 10 extra vanguards to help defend the sectors on game start after failing several times.
It's not like there are 50 hull or engine part factories around to make the original shortage even worse, who came up with this brilliant idea to drive people to ragequit even faster? I sure was on the verge but thank god for mods that fix stupid stuff :evil:

Return to “X4: Foundations”