My game is broken after 2.2

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Seathal
x4

My game is broken after 2.2

Post by Seathal » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 01:16

Well derp. I've given this game a chance. A 200-hour chance mind you.

It has potential, a lot of it but half of the features are half-arsed and buggy. Just today a stupid pirate fighter misfired on my 1-billion-credit shipyard with 700 defence drones defending it as well as point and flak defenses and hordes of missile turrets. The fighter got annihilated within a fraction of a second but the station kept deploying all of its 700 drones even minutes after the threat was gone. The drones then proceeded to swarm around the shipyard doing nothing. Now I can only get around 12 FPS in my home sector where previously I got 40 FPS. The only way of solving this is 1) Starting a new game losing 200 hours of development, 2) ordering every and each one of the 700 drones to "dock at my position" (which doesn't work either as it only seems to clog up the docking stations) which would take hours or 3) shoot them manually from the sky which would take a day and be a nightmarish prospect at 12 FPS.

This piles up to the huge amounts of stupid bugs 2.2 seems to have brought in for me. Now there's Xenon defence stations that aren't built yet cannot be destroyed all around the Galaxy. Drones seem to be broken again, and the pile of bugs that plagued previous iterations like getting stuck in geometry or mining ships and traders just sitting around doing nothing at all when they have a cargo bay full of wares keep affecting gameplay. Whereas building ships gives a new challenging experience you are still stuck with the same question: Why should I buy ships for? Nobody is attacking with more than a handful fighters at a time, AI is still as buggy as hell and frustrating to command and fleets are a chore to manage without demanded features like fleet renaming or fighter/drone management.

I've given up with this game. At least for a while. After months of waiting for major, game-breaking bugs to be fixed and seeing that, which every bug a new patch fixes, comes two new ones and a handful of half-thought features, I'm having to down-vote this on Steam so no other players fall in this alpha-level game until we get the playable experience we all paid for.

waynetarlton
x4

Re: My game is broken after 2.2

Post by waynetarlton » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 01:41

I hear you. I've given up the game for a while. Too many bugs and stuff not working. Perhaps by release 4 I'll try again.

Mysterious Mr. M
x4

Post by Mysterious Mr. M » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 01:54

Best advice i can give is to shift+drag on the map to select all the drones and order them to dock in one go. This is also best done while outside of the sector your station is in.

While i do understand your frustration with the game in its current state, the devs are diligently fixing bugs and improving the game. To say each patch introduces more bugs than it fixes* is factually incorrect.
I do agree that the game in its current state is much closer to a "early access" build than a proper release build.
But, have you stopped to ask why they would prematurely launch the game?
While i can only speculate about the financial state Egosoft is in, it would not surprise me if they literally had no other choice than to prematurely release the game.

*edited to prevent confusion
Last edited by Mysterious Mr. M on Mon, 25. Mar 19, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:26

Mysterious Mr. M wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 01:54
To say each patch introduces more bugs in factually incorrect.
Yes it is. To name just a few, 2.0 brought guild mission timeouts, 2.2 did the same to war missions, and apparently also brought back some of the teleporting issues, which should not have existed at 1.0 to begin with, but they did. In fact, if you actually participate/monitor the betas, you'll find that interim fixes (beta 1, beta 2, etc.) introduce new problems on a regular basis. Some get noticed and fixed, others either slip through the beta and only get noticed after release, or fixes get postponed to later updates. Speaking of which, the problem OP described with drones idling has been reported during 2.20 beta, but its fix was not included in 2.20, nor it is included in current 2.21beta, and apparently will only come with 2.50. And the two problems with missions I mentioned above were reported during the 2.20 beta, by several people, myself included. The former didn't get any feedback at all. The latter got it, and it took explicitly pinging that developer to clarify that it should fix both issues. In or after 2.21...
Last edited by radcapricorn on Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:46, edited 6 times in total.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 02:28

Mysterious Mr. M wrote:
To say each patch introduces more bugs in factually incorrect.
2.0 had way more bugs then 1.6.
Can't speak about 2.2, but hopefully a couple patches after first DLC game will be in a better state.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 09:10

The issue is with stations recalling defence drones. They sometimes work as intended and the defence drones take off, shoot up their target and then return to pads all very efficiently. However sometimes they take off, lose their target and then sit around in space forever. I notice this happen more frequently if I leave the sector while the drones are deployed.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 09:50

I never even got that far, just explored a lot. Got stuck on a station in an acid meteriote field. AI ships couldn`t go in or out without dying. I watched them lose integrity trying to fly in. I couldn`t get out and no, I`m not using debug teleporting. I tried every other way, no good. I mentioned it-nothing from the Devs. I called it a day and restarted new- that was my Release-day save too.

I try to make the best of things, but it`s tough.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 11:01

Interesting your mention of defense drones defending your own stations.
My game started in 1.5 got killed in 2.0 and resumed from a 1.6 save through 2.0 and into 2.2 and in all that time with 70 + stations /yards/defense instalations NOT ONCE have my own stations launched Defense drones...saw plenty from NPC stations especially in HAT1 and down in the HOP border sectors but never my own.

The only time I have seen my own drones in use is from my own M class ships and since 2.2 as mention they are not redocking once combat is over.
I have also noticed them doing the break dance thing in map view when in sector..( and I thought that bug got squished in 1.6 )

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 11:05

I actually beleived that having drones on your own stations was just so that you could resupply your own ships not be used BY the station

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 25. Mar 19, 15:59

After your edit...
Mysterious Mr. M wrote:
While i do understand your frustration with the game in its current state, the devs are diligently fixing bugs and improving the game. To say each patch introduces more bugs than it fixes* is factually incorrect.
That's irrelevant. They're supposed to be improving the game, not breaking it. As of now, updates break things that worked before. Or bring back the issues that were previously resolved. If it was only the case that fixes themselves were incomplete or faulty, that could be rationalized. What's going on right now looks awfully similar to "compile, run, seems to work, ship it!". Whether that's truly the case, I don't know, but it sure does look like it.

consiefe

Post by consiefe » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 06:33

radcapricorn wrote:
Mon, 25. Mar 19, 15:59
After your edit...
Mysterious Mr. M wrote:
That's irrelevant. They're supposed to be improving the game, not breaking it. As of now, updates break things that worked before. Or bring back the issues that were previously resolved. If it was only the case that fixes themselves were incomplete or faulty, that could be rationalized. What's going on right now looks awfully similar to "compile, run, seems to work, ship it!". Whether that's truly the case, I don't know, but it sure does look like it.
Well, suppose it's mostly true. Because this is the beta testing eventhough people buy the game as a finished title with AAA price. When they think it 'seems' to work, they ship it for the real playtesting. I hope I see this game plays free from bugs and rich with content one day. It's not in a very fun state for me and I'm waiting until that day comes.

Antigone

Post by Antigone » Tue, 26. Mar 19, 11:45

The same, with version 2.2 xenon don't attack sectors after 100h of game. In my game, they are with 50 Ships M, N and 4-5 destroyers K in their sectors but don't attack... only 2-3 ships M who attack but nothing else.

I will a massive war but nothing... And the war argon against paranid don't exist... I will a massive battle, a massive invasion, a game or you must fight for survive..

edit : when i have begin the game, xenon have massive attack in hatikvah voice, i was happy but now... nothing..... xenon are all in tharka cascade, same with paranid in faulty logic, with mass ships but not offensive... There are 20 xenons M, 4 Destroyers K, 15 P and 2 Destroyers I in faulty logic but there don't invade holy voice... (same for hatikvah).

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Fri, 23. Aug 19, 13:00

Mysterious Mr. M wrote:
Best advice i can give is to shift+drag on the map to select all the drones and order them to dock in one go. This is also best done while outside of the sector your station is in.

I do agree that the game in its current state is much closer to a "early access" build than a proper release build.
But, have you stopped to ask why they would prematurely launch the game?
While i can only speculate about the financial state Egosoft is in, it would not surprise me if they literally had no other choice than to prematurely release the game.

*edited to prevent confusion
Actually SHift+DRAG and "Return to default command [DEFEND]" makes them pop out of existence for some reason? It is a temporal fix but at 2.5 we still get more bugs than any other game bar Elder Scrolls at release.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 23. Aug 19, 15:00

Please don't resurrect and reply to a thread about an earlier game release build, it just confuses players.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”