Is Egosoft giving up?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Artean
x4

Re: Is Egosoft giving up?

Post by Artean » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 08:50

Syntax error.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:12

repatomonor wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 00:57
Oh crap, Egosoft have been silent about the past 2 weeks since the last patch was deployed. They are probably dying as a company. /s

I've seen not one gaming company going bankrupt, a few of them were actual AAA developers. This is not how "giving up" looks like.
There have been gaming companies that have gone bankrupt and it`s mostly sudden, when no one outside (and few inside) saw it coming.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:49

Fun fact. Skype 8 can't handle posting the upcoming changelog in one post.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:50

Socratatus wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:12
repatomonor wrote:
Oh crap, Egosoft have been silent about the past 2 weeks since the last patch was deployed. They are probably dying as a company. /s

I've seen not one gaming company going bankrupt, a few of them were actual AAA developers. This is not how "giving up" looks like.
There have been gaming companies that have gone bankrupt and it`s mostly sudden, when no one outside (and few inside) saw it coming.
In my experience before it happens, there is a 'silence before the storm' period that sometimes extends into multiple months when no dev communicates outside the company at all.
Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:49
That's why no one should use skype at all :lol:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 18:50

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Hope that that there will be more [added], [new] entries than [fixed] entries...one can dream (well I admit, that I'm waiting for several fixes that will come with 2.50).

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 19:01

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Is it one line, and Skype just randomly refuses to send messages again? :wink:

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:02

if ur not ms teams ur not pro

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:27

repatomonor wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 17:50
Socratatus wrote:
repatomonor wrote:

In my experience before it happens, there is a 'silence before the storm' period that sometimes extends into multiple months when no dev communicates outside the company at all.
TellTale Games (of Walking Dead fame) is one such company. Most employees didn`t know until a week before the end. And they were quite vocal until then. Look it up. In some ways Egosoft is not unlike them.

The only way to tell is if you keep a very close eye on the company shares and finances. Silence or no silence means little.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:31

Skype? Who uses that old piece of rubbish anymore, whatsapp/discord is where its at nowadays. :)

Besides the only change log i want to see is.

[new] Campaign for argon added - You can now play a would be hero that saves the universe.
[fixed] All other bugs now fixed.

One can dream.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 21:28

Socratatus wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:27
repatomonor wrote:
Socratatus wrote:

TellTale Games (of Walking Dead fame) is one such company. Most employees didn`t know until a week before the end. And they were quite vocal until then. Look it up. In some ways Egosoft is not unlike them.

The only way to tell is if you keep a very close eye on the company shares and finances. Silence or no silence means little.
With the amount of gear and personnel their upkeep cost will have been in the millions per year.
Keep in mind that Telltale on its' height had about 15 TIMES the amount of employees that Egosoft has right now...talk about unnecessarily BLOATED.
Coupled with the fact that Steam until very recently took 30% from every sold copy no matter what AND Telltale probably having to have paid licensing fees left and right or some sort of cuts to the owner of the IPs...they ran a business model that is a LOT less sustainable if not every product is a total shelf-clearer.

Egosoft is running with less than 10% of the personnel and has their own IP.

Definitely comparing apples to oranges here.

This is also why I think Egosoft is less likely to go bankrupt than Cloud Imperium Games who are now having 500 people working on a single IP with 2 unreleased games...burning through money faster than Bill Gates can earn it ( :lol: :lol: )

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 11. Apr 19, 23:13

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
I'm sure I can handle it. PM me.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

jakotheshadows
x4

Post by jakotheshadows » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 08:03

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Ever heard of Slack?

darrund
x4

Post by darrund » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:25

Tanvaras wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 03:20
Egosoft give up, I don't believe they know the meaning of the word. Every X series they have put out has been supported with patches for so long it puts many other developers to shame.
This is probably very true. Egosoft have a history in supporting their games so far and it is not in their nature to give up.
After all it is who they are.
However software developing is not exactly like "Harry Potter" using his magic stick and shout "problem fix yourself" and everything is fixed in an instant.It takes a lot of try and error process before achieving you goals.
I still hope for the best.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 12:28

Egosoft just made a video saying about this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:00

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 21:28
Socratatus wrote:
Thu, 11. Apr 19, 20:27
repatomonor wrote:

With the amount of gear and personnel their upkeep cost will have been in the millions per year.
Keep in mind that Telltale on its' height had about 15 TIMES the amount of employees that Egosoft has right now...talk about unnecessarily BLOATED.
Coupled with the fact that Steam until very recently took 30% from every sold copy no matter what AND Telltale probably having to have paid licensing fees left and right or some sort of cuts to the owner of the IPs...they ran a business model that is a LOT less sustainable if not every product is a total shelf-clearer.

Egosoft is running with less than 10% of the personnel and has their own IP.

Definitely comparing apples to oranges here.

This is also why I think Egosoft is less likely to go bankrupt than Cloud Imperium Games who are now having 500 people working on a single IP with 2 unreleased games...burning through money faster than Bill Gates can earn it ( :lol: :lol: )
You`re missing the point and going off track as always happens. I`m simply saying gaming companies can and do suddenly go bankrupt and close. That is it.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:25

well then you have to compare relatively similar companies, devil is in the details
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:28

Socratatus wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:00
You`re missing the point and going off track as always happens. I`m simply saying gaming companies can and do suddenly go bankrupt and close.
They can and do, but it does seem a little unreasonable that us not releasing anything new over a period of less than two weeks leads to someone demanding to know if we've given up or gone bankrupt, don't you think? It's not the first time this has happened either; in fact it happens with monotonous regularity.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 14:09

Well, a dev him/herself (CBJ) joining the discussion says it all, doesn't it? I don't think there's anything to worry about, in fact, there may be a pretty big update coming.

Egosoft still has big plans (see the roadmap) and I'm confident that X4 will still end up super awesome. Two weeks without a patch is really not a cause for alarm.
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

darrund
x4

Post by darrund » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 14:41

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:28
Socratatus wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 13:00
You`re missing the point and going off track as always happens. I`m simply saying gaming companies can and do suddenly go bankrupt and close.
They can and do, but it does seem a little unreasonable that us not releasing anything new over a period of less than two weeks leads to someone demanding to know if we've given up or gone bankrupt, don't you think? It's not the first time this has happened either; in fact it happens with monotonous regularity.
Short answer YES this discussion is unreasonable and there is no foundation for this kind of speculation.
Egososft is quite an established (relatively small but with long presence and good tracking record company) in a country like Germany.
Knowing how the market works it is quite unlikely that something like this (bankrupsy of all reasons) will happen to a well established company especially after launching a new promising product and in such a short period.
Being a software company owner myself,in a far less developed market than Germany, I would say it is next to impossible, given the time frame involved.
It is also quite absurd to start even thinking about this kind of issues for a 2 or 3 weeks absence of 'announcements" or media releases or whatever on a almost 20 years of presence and experience company like Egosoft and for a game that was released just 4 months ago.
This kind of easily crafted conclusions based on non existing facts are hasty to say the least.
There are other companies doing a lot less and still existso honestly I wouldn't be worried about ES.
All I want to say is that,like everyone else here i believe,wait for new things to come! :P

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 12. Apr 19, 14:50

EmperorDragon wrote:
Fri, 12. Apr 19, 14:09
Well, a dev him/herself (CBJ) joining the discussion says it all, doesn't it? I don't think there's anything to worry about, in fact, there may be a pretty big update coming.

Egosoft still has big plans (see the roadmap) and I'm confident that X4 will still end up super awesome. Two weeks without a patch is really not a cause for alarm.
Yup.

As stated several times, Egosoft has - for good reasons - a reputation of providing long term support on their titles. Since the release of X4, this certainly hasn't changed. Quite the contrary imo, their patching intensity and forum activity is better then ever.

So, on a more relevant note - are we closing in on 2.5 beta??

Return to “X4: Foundations”