Taking a break

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aven Valkyr
x3ap

Taking a break

Post by Aven Valkyr » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 07:14

Well I've logged 87 hours in X4. I know, it's not much in comparison to many of you out there. When I first bought the game back in November on release day, as much as I love so many aspects of this game, it just felt so empty. So I took a break, and came back recently to dump a bunch of time into it, started a new save. I've been impressed with progress of X4 so far and with Egosoft as a studio for listening to its fans and bringing us the X we all want.

But there are still too many glaring, game breaking issues, and I'm worried these issues will never be sorted out. Because Egosoft, you have a track record of releasing features for your games that are not play tested, and calling it done. Even though half the community cries out for refinement of many of the features you release in your games, I don't know what it is about you that makes you ignore these pleas from your fans. But you won't revisit your feature updates to make sure they are in good standing with the players of your games.

The one single biggest game breaking element to X right now is the pilot ranking system. If you can't make it work, then it should be scrapped. I appreciate the time you spent to implement such a thing, and it's a very interesting turn in the X series. But alas Egosoft, it is broken as all hell and doesn't work for the life of me. Distribute Wares is an absolute complete waste of time, and so we are stuck with Autotrade that is good out to 3 jumps. This is a complete and total waste of your dev time to bring such a lackluster and broken feature to your game, forcing players to go through hundreds of random pilots to get one that has the ability to autotrade.

I have made suggestions on this forum on how to fix the captain ranking system, it needs to be completely reworked. And I mean COMPLETELY reworked. I have put my own time and thought into formulating exactly what this system should look like, to alleviate the massive issue everyone playing this game seems to have with having a to find a captain that will work with the ship they have purchased.

Distribute wares is a total joke because apparently it only works in the starting system, and apparently it only works with wares you already have in your hold, and once your hold is empty you have to manually restock that ship, telling the pilot what to do. With this level of micro-management, how in God's name are we supposed to manage a mess of 100 freighters all doing their thing, it's literally humanly impossible to tell every single ship how and when and where to do every single transaction. You have not provided us with the ability to loop our command orders, so we have to manually go in and do everything one thing at a time.

This in my opinion absolutely horribly and completely BREAKS the game for me.

Don't get me wrong, I still love X4, and I feel you are one of the few devs out there who are actually honest with your community, and doesn't implement crap like paid content such as loot boxes. You have stayed away from a pay to play model. You release the game, it's the full game, people pay for it once, you spend years updating your games, and X4 is a beautiful game in so many ways. I want to enjoy X4 the way it's intended to be enjoyed. But this piloting system, and the lack of automation in my freighters, is so utterly horribly implemented it just ruins the entire experience for me. There's no possible way to get around this issue either, and so, there's no possible way to continue playing this game and getting yourself built up into a huge empire, if you have to tell every single ship you own where to go and how to get there, and what to do once there. It's sad, and so, until some things are fixed, I will have to step away from X4 for a few more months. I will come back in 6 months to see how it's going, to check out your new DLC and to read the update dev blog.

So, thank you Egosoft for being such a great company. But at the same time curse you for implementing willy-nilly, untested changes, that you refuse to go back to and ask yourselves the question: Is this working the way we wanted it to? Is it pissing off our players? Did we kinda just slap something together and make it a part of the game and call it good? Should we revisit, modify, or just scrap the idea?

Without these questions being tabled and discussed at Egosoft, your games will never really be what they truly could be. Because I don't know who the director at Egosoft is, but there are far too many strange decisions being made there that hurt every single one of your titles you ever put out. I mean seriously, going back to Rebirth, who thought it would be a good idea to port it to console, and throw the player into the albion skunk for the entire game, instead of making rebirth the X it should have been? It's stuff like this that hurts you. Anyway, I hope this "letter" I have written sinks in with you. I hope you get the point, and really go backwards, instead of forwards, for a little bit, and revisit the choices you have already made, and make sure they are fleshed out and polished, before you move on further to your DLC's and possibly even the next title. Don't leave us hanging with this absolutely horrid pilot ranking system and pat yourself on the back and say "yep we really did the best we could there". Don't do it Egosoft.

That's all for now. Have a wonderful day you crazy Dev team. You will be seeing more of me in the future ;) Happy X'ing!

Falcrack
x4

Re: Taking a break

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 14:45

TLDR: Please make pilot leveling easier so we can autotrade with them more effectively. Which I agree with.

Player
x4

Post by Player » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 16:11

What I do not understand is because they do not adopt the early access tag for their releases.

The game was actually released in early access. They just did not assume that.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 16:23

Aven Valkyr wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 07:14
... stuff
I've been playing 2.5 the autotrader has beem pretty smooth as for autotrade has a max of 5 jumps at highest level. When have released a game and just left it to rot even rebirth in which you mentioned got significant updates. They also did significant UI upgrades for 2.5. Allowing for player to set global orders.

solarie99
x4

Post by solarie99 » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 16:35

I have now logged about 900h into x4 and i still have a blast. i have actually not encountered all the bugs ppl have issues with. all shipyards are more or less working trading works just fine.
idk if it is just me or what, but it might be that i always have the game run 2/4h before i start to play on a new game so things balance out. that usually helps in the long run.

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 16:40

Well start a new game and try to get some miners or traders to work.

Have fun.

In my main save i simply let them trade for any of my dozen stations. Because i don't want to spend hours in menus just to get a trader trade....

But if u start a new game and u don't own any stations and don't have money to buy dozens of cheap ships in hope to get a good pilot its rly a game breaking thing. I can understand the TO.

There are so many solutions, pay more to get better pilot. Training facilities and so on...

skyneedler9
x4

Post by skyneedler9 » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 19:43

I feel the pain too of broken leveling... sometimes I think they get more pilot level when the trade ends up with big bucks like leveling a pilot through nividium mining... or trading illegal goods.

Spend hours, days letting them go around and just get nowhere on that star... I mean not even an actual percentile bar with a nice number you can follow and know for sure if anything is moving on the leveling portion. I had more luck capturing a dang pirate behemoth and filling it with 8 fighters with 8 crappy 0 star pilots, and going around hunting pirates and xenon... 3 days and got three to 2 full stars and most just at the end of the second star... but everybody I think knows when you hit star 3 it's just a painful crawl through some nasty trenches of grinding... and grinding is a pretty archaic mechanic to hold players back and hurts the experience because the game stops being fluid and enjoyable \o/ ... I'd just be happy to see a dang PERCENTAGE NUMBER so i know whether or not a trade gave someone anything or if something in the game is breaking and not counting it...

The name of the game is patience, it's a game that isn't about the fun of just 1x of the 4x strategy, and I like some time consumption, but ooooo....... I'm with ya on the leveling just being painful, the only friggin class that levels like a dream is engineers, and you can even be an arsehole to your own fleet and damage your own ships just to give your engineers more training on "How to not sit around twiddling your thumbs and get to using those skills." (Example, said pirate behemoth i got, just with them fixing the ship after I massacred it, I ended up with almost every crew member over 2 stars and one even got to their 3rd star, in less than a day and a half of letting them repair on their own. I didn't even have to repair a darn thing after that, they got it all the way up to 100% on everything themselves.

ei8htx
x4

Post by ei8htx » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 22:01

I've backed way off too. I'm kinda just floating till the Split DLC, with the occasional hour here and there to check the Beta.

Done just about everything I can. Was starting to invade the entire universe (which sounds like it should be huge, but disappointingly is not), but even that got boring.

I don't want to ruin the game for me, by quickly discovering every new feature as it comes out (I've been doing the same thing in Empyrion). I'm gonna try hard to stay away for a while, and enjoy a more refined game en masse.

Wine, women, Egosoft, some of the best things in life get better with age.

nickolaiproblem
x4

Post by nickolaiproblem » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 22:50

ei8htx wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 22:01
I've backed way off too. I'm kinda just floating till the Split DLC, with the occasional hour here and there to check the Beta.

Done just about everything I can. Was starting to invade the entire universe (which sounds like it should be huge, but disappointingly is not), but even that got boring.

I don't want to ruin the game for me, by quickly discovering every new feature as it comes out (I've been doing the same thing in Empyrion). I'm gonna try hard to stay away for a while, and enjoy a more refined game en masse.

Thats kinda what I'm doing I've enjoyed the newest update but I don't want to totally ruin the game when its really gets good so I play periodically testing features.

Aven Valkyr
x3ap

Post by Aven Valkyr » Sun, 14. Apr 19, 23:25

:cry:
ei8htx wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 19, 22:01
😂

I'm still going to troll the forums though. Don't get me wrong 😁

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 01:12

I took a break from this unfinished game a month ago; but I never felt the need to make a thread to tell everyone.

What most companies tend to forget that most people who leave don`t say, they just don`t buy the next time.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 01:55

Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 17. Apr 19, 01:12
What most companies tend to forget that most people who leave don`t say, they just don`t buy the next time.
This statement has been proven so totally wrong I can't even contemplate you're saying it with a straight face.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Zaemar2017
x4

Post by Zaemar2017 » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 16:05

I've played over 500 hours and enjoyed it but, according to the website blurb, it is a sandbox game with a massive universe! Well the universe is tiny and there really isn't much to do except get tooled up for war. I've taken Matrix #9 and SPG and there isn't much else to do except rinse and repeat or let the Xenon take over the entire universe. It needs more sandbox and less reliance on war. I think I'll wait and see what any DLC offers.

Deggial

Post by Deggial » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 17:21

Slashman wrote:
Wed, 17. Apr 19, 01:55
Socratatus wrote:
This statement has been proven so totally wrong I can't even contemplate you're saying it with a straight face.
Well, in my case, this is actually true.

Both of his statements.

(X:Rebirth I left without complaining; X4 I didn't purchase. Okay, the later might still change in the future ... if the game is on sale and when the future add-ons have launched. (Split!!!))

Frostnads
x4

Post by Frostnads » Wed, 17. Apr 19, 17:58

Slashman wrote:
Socratatus wrote:
@Socratatus This is very true for me as well. Don't want to bitch up on the forums with negativity, but do intentionally remember when considering a purchase.
I have completely backed off playing X4 also. The new auto trade sector limits, the broken AI flight mechanic, and pilot leveling are the culprits conspiring to ruin my joy.
X: Beyond the Frontier | X-Tension | X2: The Threat | X3: Reunion | X3: Terran Conflict | X3: Terran Conflict | X3: Albion Prelude | X Rebirth | X4: Foundations

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 18. Apr 19, 00:00

Deggial wrote:
Wed, 17. Apr 19, 17:21
Slashman wrote:
Socratatus wrote:

Both of his statements.

(X:Rebirth I left without complaining; X4 I didn't purchase. Okay, the later might still change in the future ... if the game is on sale and when the future add-ons have launched. (Split!!!))
Now all you need to do is go back and convince all the people from previous broken X titles and Rebirth and X4 to do the same. Because I can guarantee they will still be here when the next X title rolls out.

Well unless they have died...and that's a morbid aside.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Frostnads
x4

Post by Frostnads » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 06:50

Slashman wrote:
Thu, 18. Apr 19, 00:00
Deggial wrote:
Wed, 17. Apr 19, 17:21
Slashman wrote:

Both of his statements.

Now all you need to do is go back and convince all the people from previous broken X titles and Rebirth and X4 to do the same. Because I can guarantee they will still be here when the next X title rolls out.

Well unless they have died...and that's a morbid aside.
Truth. I have a ton of fun playing X games and will undoubtedly buy the next one too. The enormous wealth of hours I've spent in this series is by itself a statement. For all its flaws, no other game comes close. Thanks Egosoft
X: Beyond the Frontier | X-Tension | X2: The Threat | X3: Reunion | X3: Terran Conflict | X3: Terran Conflict | X3: Albion Prelude | X Rebirth | X4: Foundations

Return to “X4: Foundations”