Station construction suggestions

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Station construction suggestions

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:49

Just some thoughts I had that might make station construction a bit faster and more convenient, but also a bit more expensive.

-Allow us to hire multiple construction ships to work on our station at the same time. Each construction ship would work on one module at a time. So for example, if there are 5 construction ships, then 5 modules can be worked on simultaneously.
-Hiring a construction ship to come to the station is a flat 100,000 credit fee (I think 50,000 is too low).
-Each module a construction ship starts work on costs extra. Credits are deducted when a construction ship begins work on a module. The amount is proportional to the amount of time it takes the construction ship to complete the module, ie a module that takes 15 minutes to complete is 3 times as expensive as a module that takes 5 minutes to complete. A module that takes 15 minutes to build might be ~60,000 credits.
-Allow us to change the order of module construction in the queue. A little up or down arrow to the right of the module, kind of like how we can change the order for orders we give ships.
-A jobs board for construction vessels, where AI that have station building request can post their jobs. We could then have them hire out our own construction ships. Conversely, we could post requests for a certain number of construction vessels for a station and have the AI construction ships respond to help build our stations.

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Station construction suggestions

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 19. Apr 19, 17:32

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 19. Apr 19, 16:49
-Allow us to hire multiple construction ships to work on our station at the same time. Each construction ship would work on one module at a time. So for example, if there are 5 construction ships, then 5 modules can be worked on simultaneously.
Yeah, that would be great!
Falcrack wrote:
-Hiring a construction ship to come to the station is a flat 100,000 credit fee (I think 50,000 is too low).
I don't think the fee is too low, but it should be changed to be charged per module.
Falcrack wrote:
-Each module a construction ship starts work on costs extra. Credits are deducted when a construction ship begins work on a module. The amount is proportional to the amount of time it takes the construction ship to complete the module, ie a module that takes 15 minutes to complete is 3 times as expensive as a module that takes 5 minutes to complete. A module that takes 15 minutes to build might be ~60,000 credits.
I don't think making thing too complex would work. I'd be fine with just charge per module. If you want to build faster you just need to hire more ships for more consecutive module construction - easy and simple.
Falcrack wrote:
-Allow us to change the order of module construction in the queue. A little up or down arrow to the right of the module, kind of like how we can change the order for orders we give ships.
It might have something more complex/problematic inside the station build code - otherwise they would put it already.
Falcrack wrote:
-A jobs board for construction vessels, where AI that have station building request can post their jobs. We could then have them hire out our own construction ships. Conversely, we could post requests for a certain number of construction vessels for a station and have the AI construction ships respond to help build our stations.
Also we could put our construction ships to the market to earn construction fees from NPC station building :D

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 01:17

It’s all way too cheep! To build a station in space! Needs to cost more!
Station building is the best part of the game, I now spend most of my playing time station building.
Some plots have been deconstructed and re designed and built several time’s. ( such good fun)
How ever there are some niggles.
The zoom in to position a module in a complex built is useless, Why is the module not going where my cursor is? It snaps all over the place yet not where I want it! ( yes, it is orientated correctly)
As for reordering the build sequence! That is up to you to be more thoughtful in the way you design your build.
E dock, 3 xTel disk defence, Lux dock, storage, habitation, fabrication, solar.
It matters not what order really, all though if you are in a rush, then yes! ( why rush!) it’s a game.
My latest build is 22 Smart Chip modules on one factory. Taking an age to build, and to be honest a waist of time if one wants to be economical. But I have Billions pilling up and need something to throw the cash at!!!!!

I think having one build ship is ok, no need for more. If you want faster, hover, set speed to zero. And pop SETA on.

Did you know?!?

When you are docked, turn the map on. Then do Shift 4. This starts SETA whilst you are docked. Ha Ha. Safe on your dock, and your station gets built quickly.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 02:40

Falcrack wrote:
I think this limit is by design. It is to stop players building 100 construction ships and then building a 200 module super station in under 1 hour.

I would much rather they improve construction such that moving modules does not require rebuilding them. Additionally build drones and skill of the construction ship should make a difference.
Falcrack wrote:
The hireing fee should be per module built and depend on the time the module takes to build. Hence hiring fee for connectors is cheap as they are quickly built but for large modules considerably more as they are slow to build. There should be no initial hiring fee. This would potentially mean the player does not even have to directly hire construction ships, and instead AI could automatically come to the station to build it and deduct credits from the construction fund in the process. This would make construction ship deployment more flexible and hence allow one to reduce the total number in the universe.
Falcrack wrote:
The Universe already has 10 or so dedicated construction ships just for the player. The AI never needs to hire player construction ships as they have far too many of their own as is.

Return to “X4: Foundations”